Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X hits tree at close to 100 MPH and flies 100 feet into a river - everyone survived

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good news that they survived. Still can't understand how people think it's a good idea to let 18 year olds thrash around in powerful cars like this. Sounds like the speed limiter wasn't even set up either judging by the reported speed. That could have saved a lot of stress here!

Reactions: jboy210
Driving my beast around I really really don't think it's safe for younger drivers.

The car is too powerful. Accelerates way too fast.

You really need to be a seasoned and smart driver to drive this.

I know you can lock out high speed but can you also lock acceleration on chill mode?

Driving my beast around I really really don't think it's safe for younger drivers.

I know you can lock out high speed but can you also lock acceleration on chill mode?
They should make a "Prius Mode" that requires a pin to unlock. Really slow acceleration, boring to drive, and low top speed.

Reactions: IdaX and Bogobec
Driving fast not only creates unpredictable situations for inexperienced drivers - but also creates unpredictable situations for other drivers as well.

Car almost hit me because it had no idea I was occupying that space so quickly once the light turned.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX and Bogobec
Good news that they survived. Still can't understand how people think it's a good idea to let 18 year olds thrash around in powerful cars like this. Sounds like the speed limiter wasn't even set up either judging by the reported speed. That could have saved a lot of stress here!

I had faster at 16 (more than 2 decades ago) and I survived. It’s not about the car, it’s about the kids - and the training you give them.

I had faster at 16 (more than 2 decades ago) and I survived. It’s not about the car, it’s about the kids - and the training you give them.

You obviously survived as you are still here, but quite a few teenagers are unable to post because they are dead after doing something stupid in a high performance car. Training teenagers is obviously a good thing, but giving them a fast car is just bait for many. They are not grown-ups and don't have much sense of mortality or think that much before they do things, especially when trying to impress their friends. Even many adults struggle to drive sensibly, but there's not a lot you can do about that if they can afford a high performance car!

Reactions: CarlK and Bogobec

Don't blame the car. Blame the driver. Any cars today are capable of going 100 mph or more. I've seen more young people driving recklessly in a beat up car than in a high performance car. Also there is a "don't give the fob to your teenager" mode you can use.

My Apple product requires the passcode even after being off for a few seconds. The MS should have the same feature or at a minimum leave only Valet Mode available. If someone drives away in your Tesla due to polling from your remote being too close (in the kitchen) then the car should announce it is soon to enter Valet Mode, so if it is you driving you have time to punch in the code. Security defaulting to Valet Mode means the car could at least avoid blocking traffic or causing an accident.
--

Don't blame the car. Blame the driver. Any cars today are capable of going 100 mph or more. I've seen more young people driving recklessly in a beat up car than in a high performance car. Also there is a "don't give the fob to your teenager" mode you can use.

That's because beat up old cars are all that most teenagers can get access to! That's bad enough without giving them 400+ hp to abuse! It's a recipe for disaster and this isn't exactly the first "accident" we've seen with kids driving Teslas and the speed limiting feature was introduced as a response to a previous fatal accident involving a youngster. They can still get in trouble with a speed limited car, but the temptation to "race" is at least subdued if the performance is turned down. For me the safest teenager car is something like a Model X with granny performance and you can now more or less achieve this with the new speed limiter and chill mode. So I can't understand why parents would not use those features when letting their teenagers drive unsupervised.