Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Holding on Boat Ramp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lynnpt2001

Cookie Monster MX & M3
Sep 9, 2015
Greencastle PA
Wanted to post just to provide my experience. Bought our X in July 2018. We tow a Yamaha SX230 Jet Boat. Boat, trailer ready for the water weighs in at 4700+ lbs. I was concerned the first time we backed into the water on the ramp if the brakes would hold the weight so I had my son stay in the car and keep pressure on the pedal. After a few trips I decided to sit in the car and release the pedal with only the electric park brake applied. It is solid and has never once moved with that much hanging on the back, not sure the grade of the ramp but this one is on the steeper side of others we have used. Last Friday we visited friends in Pittsburgh, needless to say hills are everywhere and steep, so was their driveway. Parked on it and no issues at all, granted there wasn't 5000 lbs tugging downward this time.

Just wanted to post this result in case you may be interested in towing any boat or weight on the rear....

Good post. How did you engage the parking brake? The manual indicated when you put the car in park that it engages the parking brake. I don't see the symbol however. If I hold the 'P'ark button in for a few seconds I see the parking brake icon show up. I think this is in the menu system too. Holding the button in seems simplier!!

OOaaFCV.jpg

I have used the regular park and held the button until the indicator comes up like yours, I see no difference in the holding power and it sounds like the same brake applies either way.

Good post. How did you engage the parking brake? The manual indicated when you put the car in park that it engages the parking brake. I don't see the symbol however. If I hold the 'P'ark button in for a few seconds I see the parking brake icon show up. I think this is in the menu system too. Holding the button in seems simplier!!

OOaaFCV.jpg

Somewhat related, but I know a guy who launches his boat by himself using the Summon feature: He jumps in the boat and uses Summon to back it into the water then, when the boat, with him in it, is floating free, he uses Summon to pull the car and trailer back up the ramp.

I would love to see that video. I'm not sure I am that comfortable with that, would love to see the people at the boat ramp when you pull that trick !

I asked about the parking brake the first time I towed and was told if you push the parking button twice it holds harder. You can hear it activate a second time. I have not noticed that it gives the (P) symbol on the display.
I tried the push the button twice thing today. I did NOT see the (P) symbol. I'm suspicious that is doing anything. If you do a long hold you see the (P) symbol.

The manual does say this about pressing park button a second time tho!

Manual:
To make it convenient to pick up passengers, you can also unlock all doors at any time by
shifting into Park then pressing the Park button a second time.

@lynnpt2001
Have you launched more with the model X? I am wondering if you have encountered any issues and if its still operating well? How far does the back end go under water when you launch? I am strongly considering it if i can find some videos or reviews of people launching it. My Boat is slightly more weight by 800 lbs so i would end up exceeding the weight when launching to ~5500lbs.

Somewhat related, but I know a guy who launches his boat by himself using the Summon feature: He jumps in the boat and uses Summon to back it into the water then, when the boat, with him in it, is floating free, he uses Summon to pull the car and trailer back up the ramp.

That’s fishy....my x won’t summon on the slight incline of my driveway. I’m not the most travelled boater but haven’t ran across a boat ramp less
steep than my driveway.