Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Holiday Show Easter Egg Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The first time through for me it seemed to work and roll up the windows afterwords. The second time through only one window rolled down and it left it open at the end. Everything else worked tho. Weird.

The easter egg seems to just trigger code in other modules in the car to do their part with proper timings. Audio is handled by the CID (MCU), and if it's bogged down by anything that could lag it enough to delay audio starting after engaging the rest of the modules then it will not be in sync since the process doesn't seem to be synchronized in any way besides start time.

So, my suggested steps to those experiencing sync or other issues with the show:
  • Ensure your car is on firmware 2.50.114 or higher. Any lower versions will not work at all or not work correctly.
  • Park in an open area with nothing overhead, and nothing around the car that can be picked up by any of the ultrasonic sensors.
  • Reboot the 17" screen with the scroll wheels and give it a few minutes to get everything back together and start fresh.
  • Stop any music that is playing. If using bluetooth audio, set the media player to something else then stop to make sure it doesn't auto play something from your other device.
  • Set your apps on the 17" screen to ones that use basically no CPU, like the energy window and calendar and turn off HVAC. Even if you have one low-intensity all full screen, I've noticed that the car doesn't actually unload the previous half-screen app in all instances.
  • Close all doors except the driver door.
  • Input the modelxmas code.
  • After the window pops up on the screen, crank the volume if desired. Do not dismiss the popup.
  • Exit the car.
  • Manually close the driver door (physically push it closed, not with the fob or handle).
  • Walk away from the car so as to be fully out of range of the ultrasonics.
  • Single tap the top center of the key fob.
  • Enjoy the show.

I've done the show probably 30 times now, mostly without issue. It is pretty picky about things that are picked up by the ultrasonics and abruptly stops if something is too close. Had someone approach the car to get a close video and it cancelled the show.

Good luck!

Last edited:
The easter egg seems to just trigger code in other modules in the car to do their part with proper timings. Audio is handled by the CID (MCU), and if it's bogged down by anything that could lag it enough to delay audio starting after engaging the rest of the modules then it will not be in sync since the process doesn't seem to be synchronized in any way besides start time.

So, my suggested steps to those experiencing sync or other issues with the show:
  • Ensure your car is on firmware 2.50.114 or higher. Any lower versions will not work at all or not work correctly.
  • Park in an open area with nothing overhead, and nothing around the car that can be picked up by any of the ultrasonic sensors.
  • Reboot the 17" screen with the scroll wheels and give it a few minutes to get everything back together and start fresh.
  • Set your apps on the 17" screen to ones that use basically no CPU, like the energy window and calendar and turn off HVAC. Even if you have one low-intensity all full screen, I've noticed that the car doesn't actually unload the previous half-screen app in all instances.
  • After the window pops up on the screen, crank the volume if desired. Do not dismiss the popup.
  • Exit the car.
  • Manually close the driver door (physically push it closed, not with the fob or handle).
  • Enjoy the show.

I've done the show probably 30 times now, mostly without issue. It is pretty picky about things that are picked up by the ultrasonics and abruptly stops if something is too close. Had someone approach the car to get a close video and it cancelled the show.

Good luck!
This is super helpful - thank you! Will try this in a little bit after the rain stops here. I had maps and the media player up (and had freshly rebooted) so that might explain the delay in the audio. Will try with lower CPU apps (and give it a few minutes after reboot) and see if it helps. I was also pushing the button to close the driver door so will try doing it manually this time too.

This is super helpful - thank you! Will try this in a little bit after the rain stops here. I had maps and the media player up (and had freshly rebooted) so that might explain the delay in the audio. Will try with lower CPU apps (and give it a few minutes after reboot) and see if it helps. I was also pushing the button to close the driver door so will try doing it manually this time too.

And you reminded me of an important step I forgot to note:
  • Stop any music that is playing. If using bluetooth audio, set the media player to something else then stop to make sure it doesn't auto play something from your other device.
(Added to list above)

I wonder if some of the delay could be caused by processing of the maps update in the background, since someone reported that it takes up to 24 hours after the download for the update to be complete and put the notice up on the CID.

Still having an issue after trying everyone's suggestions. To be clear, the issue is the lights show starts about 1 second after the music - so the music is not delayed, the lights are.

This is an AP2 car running 2.50.180 with PUP using the "modelxmas" code for what it is worth.

I mean, still impressive but just not as much as if the lights were in sync.

Perhaps 8.1 fixes it later this week? Other ideas are welcome.

@Finder I was having some issues, I hard powered down the car, and turned it back on and WAALAA

Also - make sure you are really clear of any obstacles all the way around. The door stopped for me once but there was a light pole above. I moved the car to another area and it worked.

You can also re calibrate the falcon doors by holding UP on the inside handle for 5-10 seconds till you hear a beep then they will slowly raise to re calibrate

Those things helped me - hope it helps you as well.
Do you have UHFS @Pilot4Hire102? Narrowed down my issue to the fact that the music starts before the lights do. Thinking maybe it is a AP2/UHFS combo issue since yours works fine with AP2. Then again, if you already have UHFS I am out of ideas...

• Exit the car.
  • Enjoy the show.

Good luck!

Very helpful.
Had to reboot my car. Worked thereafter.
Thanks!

Still having an issue after trying everyone's suggestions. To be clear, the issue is the lights show starts about 1 second after the music - so the music is not delayed, the lights are.

This is an AP2 car running 2.50.180 with PUP using the "modelxmas" code for what it is worth.

I mean, still impressive but just not as much as if the lights were in sync.

Perhaps 8.1 fixes it later this week? Other ideas are welcome.
Tried it today to demo to a few folks. The windows rolled down, music starts, and lights took 6 seconds or so before that portion started. Really odd that it is so off. Will try a full reboot but resetting the center screen and dash didn't help. Strangest thing is how the delay got even longer between today and yesterday.

If any other HW2 owners have a similar issue please chime in. I have a MX 90D, HW2, PUP, and UHFS.