TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X HVAC poor defrost /defog function-Normal or Malfunction?

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by bikeandsail, Jan 31, 2019.

1. bikeandsail

bikeandsail Member

I live in NE Ohio where the heater/deicing is used a lot. On my Model X I have always had to manually turn on the defog function and have to continually play with it in fogging/icing conditions.

I got a Model S loaner that the defogging worked great. See the 2 screenshots. With the climate control on auto it would switch back and forth between 3 zone and defog only seamlessly.

ModelS2.jpg ModelS1.jpg

My Model X has never turned on all 3 zones or the defog only. It stays on the lower 2 zones. The only way I get defogging is by manually activating next to the seat heater icon. I pointed this out to the SC tech and tested my car and another Model X and said that the system is functioning as designed. Does everyones Model X require manually turning on the defog?

Ron

ModelX.jpg

2. Pilot7478

Pilot7478 Member

Yes, usually I have to turn on defog manually after about 1 min when I start driving a cold car. This started happening with one of the recent updates. It was fine before (even with first versions of v9 it was fine).

3. posity

posity Member

I pulled my hair out trying to figure out defrost. For quite awhile, the only decent defrost I could get was by pushing the button next to the seat heater - and making darn sure it is red, not blue. The blue just will not defog or defrost my windows here in Portland on rainy days.

My Eureka moment was when I finally figured out that the A/C MUST be ON and the recirc MUST be OFF to get decent defog/defrost. Now I can set fan speed, mess with the vents and still get decent defog/defrost.

4. bikeandsail

bikeandsail Member

I am not sure I made myself clear on the original post. With my HVAC on Auto the defog zone, one of 3, NEVER turns on! I can turn it on by pressing defog on the bottom line of MCU or taking the HVAC off auto. Otherwise it will NEVER deice.

Tesla says this is normal for Model X but not normal for Model S, is that true? How does your Model X work?

It defogging conditions I have to constantly play with a system that is designed to be automatic.

5. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

I have to manually activate defrost if I want it. Same issue with my BMW X3. I don't like defrost, because it blows air into my face and dries my eyes, so I have no issues with it being a choice I deliberately have to make.

6. chdavis

chdavis Member

I have the same issue. In auto mode, my model x never runs the A/C in auto mode which all of my other cars do in order to act as a dehumidifier.

I have never seen auto climate control act so poorly in this regard

7. ek993

ek993 Member

In the screen shot at the beginning of the thread AC is disabled.

Disable Auto mode
    Enable AC
    Re-enable Auto

8. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

V9 is a disaster. I sent an email to Tesla WRT this very problem. They are doing some funny things with the outside air, A/C, air direction, fan speed that they did not do in prior releases. This winter I have constantly been having to turn on the defroster whenever the temp is below about 40F and it's cold and humid outside.