Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Icebreaker crushes finger of five year old.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
I never knew this thing existed. It might help an X owner with very inquisitive children.

I-TEAM EXCLUSIVE: Tesla blames 5-year-old after finger crushed by Model X 'ice breaker'

Freak accident but the response from the daughter, followed by her dad is bizarre/hilarious:

She tells us by Skype from Ukraine she's afraid to enter any car now, but especially her dad's Model X: "I'm afraid to get inside the car now, and I think that nobody would be able to get inside it after such an accident."

Despite concerns about the ice breaker and what happened to his daughter, Marlen Izzetov is still a Tesla fan.

"I'm keeping this vehicle because I really like it," said Izzetov. "I really, really like it, and tomorrow I go to Dusseldorf to buy another Tesla X for my wife."

upload_2019-10-3_18-25-28.png

Model X - Guillotine aka 'The Terror' of the French Revolution

The daughter is gonna walk now that both parents drive X's?

Last edited:
The daughter is gonna walk now that both parents drive X's?
Lot of fingers get caught in doors and windows. Too bad they didn't press the door button again.

It all makes it sound like this is only used when it is cold (possibility of ice). Not sure if this always is used to kick the door open when you have it on auto-present.

The lawyer thought there was an opportunity there for a quick $olution.

Reactions: Blastphemy
All the pictures are so bad, where is this ice breaker device really?

I have small children too but the first thing I told them when getting the car was that the doors are automatic and they should stay away from them unless my wife or I was supervising them. I guess I have to tell them not to stick their fingers in any holes in the doors too, but that goes for any car or device really.

As for the accident itself, when I was a child I got my finger smashed by a car door but it was 100% manual in the 80s. I just had my finger in the wrong place when closing it. *sugar* happens.

Edit: Apparently Sh*t is a swear word somewhere in the world :p..
But I just went over the driver side door on my X and I can't find anything remotely looking like what's in the pictures. Is that an old design?

Last edited:
...where is this ice breaker device really?..

A better video clip:

Dan Noyes on Twitter

Everything has to line up perfectly for the accident to happen.

When you push on the doorknob, you have to resist the door from opening. You have to do it with the right force and the right duration of time. Then you let the door open and the kid has to quickly find it and insert the finger in. It might have to take lots of practice to insert a finger in there because it only takes less than 2 seconds or you'll miss it. You've got to have perfect timing.

Reactions: Kacey Green
A better video clip:

Dan Noyes on Twitter

When you push on the doorknob, you have to resist the door from opening. You have to do it with the right force and the right duration of time. Then you let the door open and the kid has to quickly find it and insert the finger in. It might have to take lots of practice to insert a finger in there because it only takes less than 2 seconds or you'll miss it. You've got to have perfect timing.

Oh.. Well..
I guess I don't have to worry to much about it then...

Thanks for the link :)

That kid was smart and lucky. I had a similar incident when I was a kid and my reflex was to just yank my trapped finger out (which was out of view). Let's just say that was a big mistake.

I've also looked at the doors on my March 2017 X and I do not see this.
I feel it's quite obvious in my July 2017 X, and I didn't know it was an icebreaker; I thought it always opened the door. It's pretty close to the latch and seems hard to miss to me, so I'm having a difficult time understanding how people looking for it can't find it. It's maybe 1 inch tall and a quarter inch wide, though, maybe everyone is looking for something bigger because the picture was so up close?

It's not well advertised. To see it in action, hit the door button to open the door, but force the door to stay closed. The plastic piece is only exposed for a brief time. This seems like a really low risk due to -

1) The door would have to be stuck closed for ice breaker to engage
2) The ice breaker is out for 10-20 seconds

Reactions: Kacey Green
I think I see where it is on my Raven but it looks blanked off. Nothing protrudes even immediately after opening door.

Apparently you have to apply pressure to the door as it opens and when you do that it will be out for a couple seconds. I have not been able to trigger it on mine yet and I don't want to force the doors too much in case I break something :p

It's not something that is sticking out at all time.

• Informative
Reactions: mswlogo
A better video clip:

Dan Noyes on Twitter

Yeah I needed help to be able to catch it for my videos, they're faster than the look and sound. They also sound mean enough to keep one's fingers away, like little can openers.