Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X in a tight garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a model X for a loaner today (yayyy! I've been wanting to test drive one for a long time now), and I'm wondering if it's safe to try to open the rear doors in my tight garage. I've seen videos of the doors stopping short of obstructions. Do they have sensors to check both clearance on the sides, and on the top? Should I feel comfortable testing this in my garage? If I try to stop the doors from opening with my hand will they stop (like the trunk does on my S)? Finally, is there a way to open the a single rear door from the key fob?

They have a sensor on the top and also on the sides. How well they will work for you is questionable. You can step aside and press each door handle manually. Be ready to place your hand on the door to stop it if it looks like it will hit something.

Note the top sensor may not sense protruding objects such as garage door opener frameworks or pipes so be very careful there.

With the fob you can open the FWD doors independently along with the rear hatch and frunk.

• Helpful
Reactions: RAW84
They are literally hit or miss! I find the sensors are quite conservative IF they see an obstruction, but they don't see everything around the doors. I would test using the key fob and be ready to hit the stop button if it looks like hitting something. You can physically stop the doors too, but I would use the keyfob first.

• Helpful
The sensors and work well. Normally, they will stop and not hit any obstruction near (special caution for small post and pillars) -- the software errs on the side of caution. When the front doors stop due to a near obstructions, they will somewhat lock in position. Pull the door inward slightly and it will release into manual mode. Your responsibility at this point not to his something near.

The FWD will also stop short of an obstruction. If they sense something near and stop, you can pull the open lever on the B pillar -- PULL AND HOLD (DO NOT PULL AND RELEASE). Pulling and holding will cause the door to continue slowly until your release the lever. I recommend the lever since it allows you to open (slowly) and watch the door at the same time. If you pull and immediately release the lever, the door opens (or attempts to) fully. Once you manually over-ride the FWD, it becomes your responsibility to watch for walls and overhead obstructions should you decide to open further.

You may want to test manually opening the FWD in the driveway, where there is no obstructions.

Enjoy the X..... great vehicle.

• Helpful
There is a chance the loaner will have "levers" for the Falcon Wing Doors, but it is more likely they will have button. The "levers" were replaced with buttons early on, and then those buttons were replaced with larger buttons. Regardless, while you can forcibly manually move the doors, using the hold to override option is better (you can stand outside of the vehicle and reach in to use the "levers" or buttons to watch the door). It takes a double-click on the appropriate Falcon Wind Door button on the FOB to open the relevant door. Also, while the fob may stop the doors instantly (I've never tried), I'd make sure you know before relying on that. You should also be able to touch the plastic at the bottom of the door to stop it, I believe these incorporate capacitive sensors, but I have also heard that this works because it triggers the ultrasonic sensors.

I have a number of hard points above where my Falcon Wing Doors open, so I never totally trust them to not hit anything. I always stand ready to stop them with my hand if they get too close to hitting something.

While it has worked perfectly since I got the car, the forum posts have made me extra cautions, so only open the doors when I am standing at guard.

My bigger issue was that the car had geo fenced me so that the doors would not open fully when in the driveway. Probably still thought it was inside the garage.

They just recently updated the software where I can now hold down the open button on the dash and the doors will open fully.

This wonderful car just keeps getting better and better.

Tested my MX in neighbors garage being rented soon. Wish I had his garage, but there are many reasons I backed in. Whowa

IMG_2727.jpg IMG_2726.jpg