Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X in Canada - Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DesignStudio2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

DesignStudio3.jpg

Screenshots prices don't include any selected options ?

Strange because it's equivalent to a CADUSD of 0.65$ , and illogically pricier than model-S (I was assuming price matched to Model-S plus a 5-10K+)

Yes, no options. That is the base for each model. I will try to get the options up shortly.

- - - Updated - - -

DesignStudio4.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

DesignStudio5.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

DesignStudio6.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

DesignStudio7.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

DesignStudio8.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

DesignStudio9.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

DesignStudio10.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

DesignStudio11.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

DesignStudio12.jpg

looks like Canadian prices are slightly higher than US. MY 90D (US) is at $112,950.00 USD (before tax incentives and sales tax but with destination delivery fee). Exactly the same configuration of 90D configured through this xlsx configurator gave me total of $167,400.00 CAD and based on today's currency exchange rate it comes down to ~$125,772.00 USD so there is about 10% higher price in Canada than in the US.

Playing around with the design studio. In Alberta we don't have incentives. I am not in a rush to order.

- - - Updated - - -

:scared:I am so sorry to read your results of attempting to
It was not Vancouver, HQ Tesla central event office. I gave a very strong complaint against that particular person. Got a call back from HQ Tesla and also Vancouver. usual damage control stuff. Thanks for your post

$CDN pricing

Just tuning back in here. I may have made a few errors with regards to an earlier post but the bottom line is that the pricing in Canada is ridiculous. Not much more to say here other than it completely justifies my cancelling my order. Quite frankly I am so pissed off that they are charging Canadian's a 10% premium that I am no longer going to buy a Tesla at all. Call it a boycott. Lots of other nice vehicles out there.

Just tuning back in here. I may have made a few errors with regards to an earlier post but the bottom line is that the pricing in Canada is ridiculous. Not much more to say here other than it completely justifies my cancelling my order. Quite frankly I am so pissed off that they are charging Canadian's a 10% premium that I am no longer going to buy a Tesla at all. Call it a boycott. Lots of other nice vehicles out there.

I bet the pricing will catch up eventually. The problem is the change in the exchange rate. Not to long ago, the CDN $ was only worth 0.68 USD.
I don't think they evaluate the pricing on a day-by-day bases. More likely adjusted once a quarter.

Even if they knocked off 10% it would still be about 75% higher than when I ordered it over 3 years ago. Its not even worth waiting . Happy to let some other rube waste his after tax money on it. If Canada is any indication of cancelled orders then I am definitely shorting this stock tomorrow above $200. Maybe when it drops to $100 and what will obviously be huge sales misses I can buy a free Porsche :biggrin:

I believe the good news is delivery is going to happen shortly. ( relative term)

Unfortunately for some of us, Canada is not a big market generally for auto sales in general.

Given worldwide model X supply constraints, at this time Tesla's pricing can probably find support.

I would not be surprised if Chinese and American demand for the Model X alone could account for pretty much all 2016 production if left unchecked. Add in European demand and exports to countries not even supported by Tesla Service and I unfortunately understand why the Candian discount typical automakers provide Canada are not being provided.

I am somewhat disappointed because many Tesla fans have been waiting years for this day. My suggestion is you only live once and go for it if you can! ( within reason please, after all we are Canadian)

Last edited:
...or I can travel the world for the next 5-10 years with the money I just saved thanks to Tesla pricing. Yes, you only live once and the memories I can get from traveling far exceed what I will from a overpriced chassis with a nice battery system.

As for international demand, you need to remember that most currencies have fallen as much or more than the $Cdn vs $US. They will all be in the same boat as us. Yes there will be some rich Chinese millionaires that will buy some but not anywhere near the demand you think t these prices. This is a much much bigger problem for Tesla than you think. Its why Telsa has been extremely quiet on the subject of delays , part sourcing , and pricing.

Even if they knocked off 10% it would still be about 75% higher than when I ordered it over 3 years ago. Its not even worth waiting . Happy to let some other rube waste his after tax money on it. If Canada is any indication of cancelled orders then I am definitely shorting this stock tomorrow above $200. Maybe when it drops to $100 and what will obviously be huge sales misses I can buy a free Porsche :biggrin:
You are preaching to the choir here. No one is happy with the prices. But let's understand this is not Tesla just raising prices for no reason.
It is a currency exchange thing. The small volume in Canada means they probably aren't that concerned about it.

If you factor in HST we are now paying 50% more than US list price for a Model S! What really irks me is that the reason the Model S/X cost is so high is due to our low dollar which has been caused by low oil prices. Also there is now incrementally more duty and HST added which is giving the government more revenue and yet Tesla's have a new much reduced EV rebate here in Ontario that is lower than a 40 km range plug-in Prius or Hyundai Sonata. The reasoning for the lower EV rebate is supposedly because Tesla's are so expensive. Did I mention that this is now much worse because of taxes and low oil? So the only vehicle that has the potential to displace the worst polluting SUV's and reduce GHG's the most is purposely being shut out of the program partly due to the effects of low oil. Given the current environment a full battery electric SUV that seats 7 and can tow should be getting at the very least the maximum EV incentive! The oil industry seems to be winning. Apparently people who buy Tesla's don't need an incentive because they have enough money to spend and will spend it anyway. Well this is false. Everybody has their limits and mine has been reached. If the government allows the full $14K rebate for the Model X and the dollar improves then I may re-consider buying one but at this point $150K+ is just too rich for me as I require the 90kWH battery, 7 seats and towing package. After anxiously waiting two years for the X, to my great great dissapointment I will have to continue driving my Ford Expedition.

Last edited: