Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X in fatal wrong way driver crash today in Phoenix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the X passenger compartment suffered no detectable intrusion based on that image.

The X probably outweighed the other car 2:1. That makes a big difference.

Yeah, this is one of the reasons why the 5 star and "top safety pick" ratings are misleading. The Ford Focus has been a "Top Safety Pick+" recently:

2013 Ford Focus

and 5 star according to NHTSA:

2013 FORD FOCUS 5 HB FWD

(I'm picking 2013 arbitrarily to represent that model)

Yeah, this is one of the reasons why the 5 star and "top safety pick" ratings are misleading. The Ford Focus has been a "Top Safety Pick+" recently:

2013 Ford Focus

and 5 star according to NHTSA:

2013 FORD FOCUS 5 HB FWD

(I'm picking 2013 arbitrarily to represent that model)

Focus weight around 3000 lbs, and Model X weight over 5200 lbs, you can't beat physics

Reactions: FlatSix911
In the still shot taken from the helicopter of the accident scene, is that part of chassis of the dark car that was separated from the passenger compartment? I'm referring to the wreckage in front of the Tesla and behind the dark car. Makes me shudder thinking how hellacious that collision must have been.

I wondered that too. I don't think so because that wreckage isn't in the pictures that were taken at night shortly after the accident. I think that is the roof of the black car that they had to cut off to get the driver out. (But I am just guessing.)

You will notice in that picture that the tow truck looks to be getting ready to load the black car, and that a lot of debris have been piled on top of the wreckage.

Compare:
14442446_G.jpg

and:
2smxcge-jpg.236868

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: FlatSix911 and Tam
I wondered that too. I don't think so because that wreckage isn't in the pictures that were taken at night shortly after the accident. I think that is the roof of the black car that they had to cut off to get the driver out. (But I am just guessing.)

You will notice in that picture that the tow truck looks to be getting ready to load the black car, and that a lot of debris have been piled on top of the wreckage.
OK, that makes sense. Yes, you're right, the night-time pictures did not have the separate piece of wreckage.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Also, alert if it detects oncoming traffic where there shouldn't be any. With a continuous wave radar, the car should always know the relative velocity of anything the radar can see; anything higher than the ground clutter in your lane (or an adjacent one, on the freeway) is a problem.

It obviously wouldn't hurt to have this but the response time you have in such a situtation is next to zero. Cars drive 70+ in that area (and I am being kind). That would mean the cars approached at 150mph. There is no warning beep that would have given you any time to respond.

I am curious if the X driver is a forum member and hope they are ok. Unfortuntely too late for the other driver.

Focus weight around 3000 lbs, and Model X weight over 5200 lbs, you can't beat physics

What would have happened if both cars were 3000 lbs? Possibly two severe injuries instead?

Having a really big / heavy car with a great safety rating offers "safe for the driver", but somewhat of a battering ram for the other cars.

What if safety rating also included how much damage a particular vehicle tends to do to other vehicles it runs into?

In the story posted here, it does seem that the person at fault was at a disadvantage in the collision which some might think of as appropriate, but what if it were the other way around?

I ponder all this because of the tendency for some people to drive giant vehicles ( including commercial trucks / Hummers /etc. ) with the thought of "safer for me, but not the little cars in my way."

I guess for most people car shopping, they are primarily concerned with their own safety and the safety of their occupants.

What would have happened if both cars were 3000 lbs? Possibly two severe injuries instead?

Having a really big / heavy car with a great safety rating offers "safe for the driver", but somewhat of a battering ram for the other cars.

What if safety rating also included how much damage a particular vehicle tends to do to other vehicles it runs into?

In the story posted here, it does seem that the person at fault was at a disadvantage in the collision which some might think of as appropriate, but what if it were the other way around?

I ponder all this because of the tendency for some people to drive giant vehicles ( including commercial trucks / Hummers /etc. ) with the thought of "safer for me, but not the little cars in my way."

I guess for most people car shopping, they are primarily concerned with their own safety and the safety of their occupants.

I think this is a fair point and I actually don't like big cars for that reason. It made the X purchase harder. I don't like adding to the ever bigger car race. Another reason my next car is a Model 3 (not replacing the X but another bigger car)

..."safer for me, but not the little cars in my way."...

Tesla does care for others to be safe by:

1) striving for autonomous feature as soon as possible and not waiting for most consensus of 2021.

2) allowing open source patent so they can duplicate Tesla's safety.

It is understandable that there are times people and companies have no choices but if they are able to make choices, the choices are there.

Reactions: Freedom101
Yeah, not calling out Tesla in particular on this. The S & X are on the large side, but the weight increment is a side effect of needing/wanting to offer a big battery with anxiety free range.
Active safety features are certainly helpful to everyone. Tesla does what they can to keep weight down, such as using so much aluminum on S & X.