Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X in fatal wrong way driver crash today in Phoenix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What would have happened if both cars were 3000 lbs? Possibly two severe injuries instead?

Having a really big / heavy car with a great safety rating offers "safe for the driver", but somewhat of a battering ram for the other cars.

A 90-150mph impact? Two dead drivers instead of one.
However, in general I agree with your next statement.

A 90-150mph impact?
Head-on collision impact of two equal-weight vehicles at 75mph is equivalent to one vehicle colliding with a concrete bridge post at 75 mph; both cases result in deceleration from 75mph to zero in about 0.05 second.

When vehicle mass is different, the larger one decelerates slower and the smaller one faster, so the 3,000lb car might experience equivalent of 125mph collision with an unyielding concrete bridge post.

Damn that is a brutal accident - in my 34 years of driving I have only had two close calls - and both were elderly folks (both on Sunday) driving the wrong way on a divided highway - most terrifying event ever driving - I can't imagine what that impact was like.

Peace to the families, hug the survivors and realize this could happen to any of us. Cherish every day - cause it could all end tomorrow.

• Love
Reactions: HerrJones
Head-on collision impact of two equal-weight vehicles at 75mph is equivalent to one vehicle colliding with a concrete bridge post at 75 mph; both cases result in deceleration from 75mph to zero in about 0.05 second.

When vehicle mass is different, the larger one decelerates slower and the smaller one faster, so the 3,000lb car might experience equivalent of 125mph collision with an unyielding concrete bridge post.
Isn't deceleration directly related to the distance and speed - i.e. length of the crumple zone?
Energy is no doubt related to the mass - which would help explain the wreckage, I suppose.
How did you come up with the 0.05 seconds? theory or actual data?

Sorry, you confused me. Two different massed cars (one 3000# the other unknown) and then compare to stationary bridge post crash. Seems a rather difficult transformation. Doesn't really matter that much. You really don't want to experience such a wreck. Maybe not even witness.

Last edited:
For what it is worth, this seems to be the closest off-ramp where the car could have entered the wrong way:

wrong-arrow1.png

If he didn't go left (the wrong way) on that first left arrow, there is a second chance to get confused and make a mistake:
wrong-arrow2.png

I think that looks fairly confusing actually. Both lanes are supposed to go over the freeway and turn left to go north.
If you follow the red path you are going into head on traffic.
If there was no one on the off-ramp it wouldn't be totally obvious that it is an exit.
(Yes, once you are on the off-ramp, there is a small "one-way", small "do not enter" and small "wrong-way" so some lack of attention does seem to be a factor as well...)

I think the overall design could lead to confusion... You see the first ramp and think "south exit", and you see the second ramp and think "north entrance". The actual north entrance is the 3rd ramp off in the distance well past the left turn arrows. The "101 North" sign is right before the 101 South exit.

Last edited:
That intersection is a SPUI (single-point urban exchange), a relatively new intersection design. It's confusing for those people who have never seen one. It has the advantage in that it moves traffic faster that a typical freeway/cross street intersection that has to use two traffic lights on either side of the freeway. The SPUI reduces the intersection to a single traffic light.

If it was night, you were unfamiliar with the intersection, and there were no other cars at the intersection to give you visual cues to traffic flow, it would be very easy to enter the wrong ramp. Since there are no service roads on this freeway, going into the incorrect ramp will lead you directly onto the freeway going the wrong direction.

Here's an overhead view of the 101 / Catcus road SPUI intersection:

SPUI.jpg

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/e61f/72cdb14382cb190f69dff00a13f6915ecc44.pdf
...A problem inherent to service interchanges is the potential for wrong-way entry into an exit ramp. While the maneuver is not frequent, it has the potential to result in a severe crash. A study by Cirillo et al. indicates that about five percent of all fatalities on the interstate system are attributable to crashes resulting from wrong-way movements. The parclo A (2-quad) and parclo B (2-quad) designs are particularly susceptible to wrong-way movements because the ramp approach and departure legs are located on the same side of the crossroad and are typically located very close to one another....

http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/nchrp/docs/NCHRP17-45_FR.pdf

Last edited:
Isn't deceleration directly related to the distance and speed - i.e. length of the crumple zone?
Energy is no doubt related to the mass - which would help explain the wreckage, I suppose.
How did you come up with the 0.05 seconds? theory or actual data?

Sorry, you confused me. Two different massed cars (one 3000# the other unknown) and then compare to stationary bridge post crash. Seems a rather difficult transformation. Doesn't really matter that much. You really don't want to experience such a wreck. Maybe not even witness.
Right. Deceleration is the same from collision of two cars of equal mass at equal speed as with one car crashing into an immovable object like a concrete freeway bridge pillar. At 75 mph a car is traveling 110 ft/sec, so assuming a 6 ft crumple zone, the car stops in 6/110 = 0.054 seconds.

In the case of two cars of unequal mass, then the heavier one stops slightly more gradually and the smaller one quicker because the heavy car has more momentum. Imagine, if you will, the collision of two football players at the same speed. The heavier one will drive the lighter one a little ways backward.

We have had hundreds in metro Phoenix and according to ADOT the incidents usually happen late at night. ADOT says alcohol use and milennials are the most common characteristics.:rolleyes:
I guess alcohol is a bigger problem in the US. Here in Norway, it's almost always older people who end up going the wrong way on the motorway.

I'm sure you also have this challenge with older drivers, but I can understand if it drowns in the number of alcohol related incidents. We don't mess around with drunk driving, though. The limit is 0.02%. If you have more than 0.05%, you lose your license for at least a year. More than 0.12% and you lose it for 2-5 years and risk prison for up to a year (minimum 21 days). Also a fine of 1.5 months income for all drunk driving.

One thing that's very odd for people going to the US from Norway is that people drink and drive. You don't do that in Norway, even if it is just one drink.

Last edited:
Last edited: