Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X in Handmaid's Tale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No spoilers! :D (GF hasn't seen Season 2 yet, I've not watched any of it...)

Sigh, need a list of shows that you have to watch, or you feel like you are divorced from reality, with all the memes and other 'items' you are cut off from.

Start with:

Game of Thrones
Westworld
Handmaid's Tale

:D

I thought Gilead had no Internet, yet looks like nav was working.

Yes, was thought provoking to see a Tesla there.

Commander waterford uses his laptop in his home office. No reason to think there is no internet, just very elite if you have access to it.

Women aren't allowed to read, lower classes (drivers and such) don't get internet. But the doctors have access to computers and the military/government of Gilead surely does.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johan
No spoilers! :D (GF hasn't seen Season 2 yet, I've not watched any of it...)

Sigh, need a list of shows that you have to watch, or you feel like you are divorced from reality, with all the memes and other 'items' you are cut off from.

Start with:

Game of Thrones
Westworld
Handmaid's Tale

:D
Battlestar Galactica. The new series, not the 1978 original.

I have a fondness for Babylon 5.

I liked Farscape because they had alien aliens, not just bipedal stereotypes.

I loved Firefly.

I like The Expanse because they get a lot of the small science touches correct...except there's no sound in space!

Reactions: mbp11 and boaterva
I like The Expanse because they get a lot of the small science touches correct...except there's no sound in space!

The expanse is nice but they tend to leave the engines running non stop with no mention or observable effect of coasting phases in places I'd expect to see it. Its as if they have infinite fuel so they are always speeding up or slowing down (running the engines 90% of the time). I mean they do have coast phases, you see them turning on/off the boots to deal with the engine being off or on. It just seems every external shot of a ship has engines blasting way more than the path they are taking requires.

They do get a ton of the science right. It's just hit and miss whether they'll go with science or looks for the next thing you notice.

Oh and no sound in space, the expanse got that right in having holden and the girl touch helmets (helmet to helmet) to talk without comms. It just depends on if the no sound thing is in the script or not that day.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Troy
Battlestar Galactica. The new series, not the 1978 original.

I have a fondness for Babylon 5.

I liked Farscape because they had alien aliens, not just bipedal stereotypes.

I loved Firefly.

I also had a fondness for Babylon 5. I say had since I rewatched it over the past few months since it came to Amazon Prime. Wow, I don’t think it’s aged very well. The acting seems stilted and though I know Season 5 was an add-on since they didn’t think they’d make it past Season 4, my gawd is it bad.

Still, the multi-season story arcs are well done and set the stage for what we see today when stories go beyond just one episdoe. No criticism of Babylon 5 for pushing the genre forward - I wish they had a budget to match!

Are we on the Tesla board still or is this the SciFi network? :)

Yes, was thought provoking to see a Tesla there.
Indeed. I was wondering if Tesla still exists in Gilead. Ditto for Ford and GM. IIRC, they had some BRoD0-class GM SUVs and some Fords besides the various Mercedes and a gen 3 Prius I recall seeing. Was very surprising to see a Tesla in the final ep of S2. (I started watching the show a few months ago and finished thru S2 within the past week or two.)

I also wondered what Gilead produces besides foodstuffs. Do they still have an auto industry? What about other industries? What do they trade besides handmaids? What do most of the men and women do besides being guardians along w/the few commanders, Marthas, Aunts, wives, handmaids, etc.?

I also had a fondness for Babylon 5. I say had since I rewatched it over the past few months since it came to Amazon Prime. Wow, I don’t think it’s aged very well. The acting seems stilted and though I know Season 5 was an add-on since they didn’t think they’d make it past Season 4, my gawd is it bad.

Still, the multi-season story arcs are well done and set the stage for what we see today when stories go beyond just one episdoe. No criticism of Babylon 5 for pushing the genre forward - I wish they had a budget to match!

Are we on the Tesla board still or is this the SciFi network? :)
I was thinking a few weeks ago that B5 is one of those show I wouldn't mind being remade, with modern CGI.

0E0929AF-C904-409C-9653-3C66D98980AC.jpeg

If this isn't better than paid advertising then I don't know what is.

Indeed. I was wondering if Tesla still exists in Gilead. Ditto for Ford and GM. IIRC, they had some BRoD0-class GM SUVs and some Fords besides the various Mercedes and a gen 3 Prius I recall seeing. Was very surprising to see a Tesla in the final ep of S2. (I started watching the show a few months ago and finished thru S2 within the past week or two.)

I also wondered what Gilead produces besides foodstuffs. Do they still have an auto industry? What about other industries? What do they trade besides handmaids? What do most of the men and women do besides being guardians along w/the few commanders, Marthas, Aunts, wives, handmaids, etc.?

It seems by then the entire planet is in population decline. The early stages were years of reduced births, how many years we don't know. But during season 1 it was revealed Mexico city hadn't had a single child birth in 6 years. I imagine the transition and turmoil before the Gilead takeover was preceded by a decade or more of significantly reduced birth rates.

anyway, eventually the population has started to decline due to low birth rates and then that is followed up by population dropping drastically due to war and lack of replacements for casualties to wars/political executions. Every day more are killed and almost zero new children born to offset the losses.

But durable goods are just sitting around for the taking. Warehouses full of them, confiscated houses full of them, office buildings, garages, stores. All orderly plundered before or after the people that used to own it were killed or enslaved.

Think of all the cars, houses, and such sitting around in the walking dead but with a more orderly reduction in population. They just harvest the best vehicles and when those get too old, they can import from Canadian and Mexican car plants or from Europe if needed to get new models. The amount of imports they would want would be very minimal. Most of the "citizens" of Gilead walk or take mass transportation.

Assuming Tesla isn't still in operation in the western US there might be a Tesla plant in Europe by then and surely the one in China is still pumping out cars. With billions of workers that have a least 40 good years in them you can keep the factories going in China. With drastically declining population there would be nobody using birth control, no one child rules or killing non boy children. Parents would be happy to have any child vs no child.

I'd assume Elon moved to one of 3 destinations

* Canada
* China
* Mars

depending on what he could achieve during the turmoil (I'm assuming he bugs out on an international trip before the great upheaval and is smart enough to stay gone).

Mars would be non viable long term if you can't have kids. The colony would never be finished or would die off without a influx of fresh settlers. Still he might go there to spend a few years before dying if the mars city had progressed far enough to do that.

Last edited:
View attachment 420090

If this isn't better than paid advertising then I don't know what is.
I think this shot is a sly takeoff on the Danaerys scene of addressing her assembled troops after taking Kings Landing in Game of Thrones (with her dragon landing in the background and its wings showing behind her.) I'm hoping our heroine here has a different fate and leads a successful revolution (and maybe gets the model X besides).

Reactions: Johan