TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X in Handmaid's Tale

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Pinot.Noir, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

Pretty cool seeing the Model X in the Handmaid's Tale season finale. Looks great in Ultra White seats! I just wonder if free unlimited supercharging still applies in Gilead?

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

They contacted some members here in the Toronto area to borrow last year :)

• Like x 5
  3. JimVandegriff

JimVandegriff Member

The music sounded good too (Walking on broken glass), although it was a harrowing scene that Alexis Bledel played brilliantly. Free supercharging only for men though - ugh, what a dystopian vision, but done extraordinarily well.

• Like x 2
  4. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

No spoilers! :D (GF hasn't seen Season 2 yet, I've not watched any of it...)

Sigh, need a list of shows that you have to watch, or you feel like you are divorced from reality, with all the memes and other 'items' you are cut off from.

Start with:

Game of Thrones
    Westworld
    Handmaid's Tale

:D

5. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

Add Ozark!

• Like x 2
  6. reddy

reddy Member

I thought Gilead had no Internet, yet looks like nav was working.

Yes, was thought provoking to see a Tesla there.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  7. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

#7 dhanson865, Aug 5, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    Commander waterford uses his laptop in his home office. No reason to think there is no internet, just very elite if you have access to it.

Women aren't allowed to read, lower classes (drivers and such) don't get internet. But the doctors have access to computers and the military/government of Gilead surely does.

8. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Battlestar Galactica. The new series, not the 1978 original.

I have a fondness for Babylon 5.

I liked Farscape because they had alien aliens, not just bipedal stereotypes.

I loved Firefly.

I like The Expanse because they get a lot of the small science touches correct...except there's no sound in space!

• Like x 1
  9. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

#9 dhanson865, Aug 5, 2018
    The expanse is nice but they tend to leave the engines running non stop with no mention or observable effect of coasting phases in places I'd expect to see it. Its as if they have infinite fuel so they are always speeding up or slowing down (running the engines 90% of the time). I mean they do have coast phases, you see them turning on/off the boots to deal with the engine being off or on. It just seems every external shot of a ship has engines blasting way more than the path they are taking requires.

They do get a ton of the science right. It's just hit and miss whether they'll go with science or looks for the next thing you notice.

Oh and no sound in space, the expanse got that right in having holden and the girl touch helmets (helmet to helmet) to talk without comms. It just depends on if the no sound thing is in the script or not that day.

• Disagree x 1
  10. Seattle Tom

Seattle Tom Member

I also had a fondness for Babylon 5. I say had since I rewatched it over the past few months since it came to Amazon Prime. Wow, I don’t think it’s aged very well. The acting seems stilted and though I know Season 5 was an add-on since they didn’t think they’d make it past Season 4, my gawd is it bad.

Still, the multi-season story arcs are well done and set the stage for what we see today when stories go beyond just one episdoe. No criticism of Babylon 5 for pushing the genre forward - I wish they had a budget to match!

Are we on the Tesla board still or is this the SciFi network? :)

11. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Oh, and The Prisoner. The original 1960s series, not that awful thing they made several years ago.

12. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

#12 dhanson865, Aug 5, 2018
    great show (prisoner 60s version) I just didn't like the final episode. It felt like it could have gone one for another season or had a better ending if they wanted to stop there.