Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X in hot climates (Southern Calfiornia)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I just ordered a standard range black model X with white interior with delivery estimate of May. I really like the look of the X in black, but I am concerned about the hot weather.

I called a highly rated local tinting shop in Orange County to schedule an appointment, and the owner told me that he has heard or many horror stories of Model X being too hot regardless of colors due to the large windshield/ windows and AC not being able to cool the car adequately. He said the front windshield cannot be safely tinted due to the risk of electrical component damage on the dash.

I am hoping to get some help here, as I could not find specific answers by searching the forum:

1. Could any black Model X owners in hot climates comment on what I just heard from the tinting shop owner? He basically discouraged me from getting the X, regardless of color, but especially the black. When driving around, do you find the cabin temperature to be comfortable?

2. Are there any Southern Calfiornia black Model X owners happy with tinting their car for minimizing heat? If so, I would love to find out where you got your car tinted.

Thank you in advance for your help for this newbie.

Also keep in mind that nearly all of the exposed surfaces in the Model X (windshields, rooftop, windows) are all glass and not painted anyway. So the COLOR you choose has virtually no impact on cabin heat. The AC is quite robust, and you can leave it running when you exit the vehicle. Even just depending on the cabin overheat protection, which defaults to ON, will keep the cabin below 105ºF (40ºC).

Enjoy your black X!

Last edited:
My Model X100D has black exterior and black interior, in Phoenix. I have not done any extra tinting, and I have yet to use the windshield shade that came with the car. Bottom line: The X is awesome. Driving around, passengers in all 3 rows are very cool even on the sunniest days (no 'hot seats' like my prior SUV had). I've contemplated ordering the mesh Falcon Wing Sunshade and Rear Liftgate Sunshade from Tesla.com, but haven't yet because the car cools so well even without them. Last summer, walking back to the car, with the temp both inside and outside the car showing triple digits, I hit the fan button on the app as we walked, and by the time we got to the car I was being the perfect gentleman opening her door with everything cooled down to 68 degrees (now *that* was how to impress!). Fairly frequently there will be something in the car I want to keep cool (kids sports equipment, laptop, or even just my soda) while I step out for a while, so I just hit the button to keep the car cool.

TL;DR: Black X100D is awesome and will keep you cool in the summer, even in Phoenix.

Hi Olee,

If you are worried about the A/C, you may prefer the 6 or 7 seat configuration over the 5 seat model...
The 6 and 7 seat models have additional cooling/heating equipment that the 5 does not have...

I do not need 7 seats but bought the 7 seat model as it was the least expensive way to get the extra A/C equipment.

Shawn

I’m telling you that highly rated tint shop is an amateur shop for average/i_dont_care owners.
The model X windshield needs a professional technician to do the tint job, so not many shop can do that.

Im in SoCal and don’t have any heat problem. Tinted my windshield & windows & rear glass with Prestige Photosync, it reduces heat a bit. Yeah like DCGOO said, if you want your car cool when you enter the car, just leave the AC on.
Also, if you have 5 seater, the rear-passenger seats might hotter than front. I suggest you buy 6/7 seater, they have dual AC system. So it is much better.

Thank you everyone for the quick reply. I feel much better about keeping my order for the X now.

Wow, no tinting in Phoenix is impressive. Are there other black model x owners doing fine without tinting?

For those in OC, were you happy with Extreme Autowerks for your model X tinting?

Extreme Autowerks? Yes, i did my tint job in here. Perfectly well-done job!

Thank you everyone for the quick reply. I feel much better about keeping my order for the X now.

Wow, no tinting in Phoenix is impressive. Are there other black model x owners doing fine without tinting?

For those in OC, were you happy with Extreme Autowerks for your model X tinting?

Hi Olee,

If you are worried about the A/C, you may prefer the 6 or 7 seat configuration over the 5 seat model...
The 6 and 7 seat models have additional cooling/heating equipment that the 5 does not have...

I do not need 7 seats but bought the 7 seat model as it was the least expensive way to get the extra A/C equipment.

Shawn
That is very good to know. Thank you. I have ordered the 6 seat configuration, luckily.

The X has special UV and Infrared coating on the upper part of the panoramic windshield, and glass above rear seat passengers. Does a pretty good job of reducing heat load to interior and keeping occupants from discomfort.

While I like the panoramic windshield, my G/F prefers I keep the mesh screen installed, even when the sun is not bright. Just personal preferences.

When you get your X, drive it a bit to see if it is to your tastes. Use the AC for a while to see if it would be worth the additional cost to add additional coatings.

I rarely drive with windows open. Like the clean air that comes with the giant HEPA filter in the nose. Just set the HVAC to automatic and rerely give it a thought. Sometimes wish the sun visors were a little larger, but they are clever and so a pretty good job as well.

Enjoy your new X. They are really quite remarkable.

Reactions: avesraggiana
I have had 3 Model X's over the last few years. I do not live in Southern Cali but I did just drive to Palm Springs and back to Oregon in my new X and loved it. The last X I owned had half of the top windshield tinted which I thought was a little weird at first but I sure wish I had it now. Might think about doing that, cost is around $200.

The X has special UV and Infrared coating on the upper part of the panoramic windshield, and glass above rear seat passengers. Does a pretty good job of reducing heat load to interior and keeping occupants from discomfort.

While I like the panoramic windshield, my G/F prefers I keep the mesh screen installed, even when the sun is not bright. Just personal preferences.

When you get your X, drive it a bit to see if it is to your tastes. Use the AC for a while to see if it would be worth the additional cost to add additional coatings.

I rarely drive with windows open. Like the clean air that comes with the giant HEPA filter in the nose. Just set the HVAC to automatic and rerely give it a thought. Sometimes wish the sun visors were a little larger, but they are clever and so a pretty good job as well.

Enjoy your new X. They are really quite remarkable.
Thank you for that advice!

That’s the only place I bring my cars to tint. They use top products but moreover, Bing, the owner is a very good guy !!!!

Reactions: OLEE
No tint on our Midnight Silver Metallic (dark grey) with white interior. The A/C pulls the temp down fast. I usually never bother to precool it. The white is very nice to have when the sun is hitting the seats. Haven't had a problem with sunburn while driving on long trips, so the UV blocking must be decent. I wouldn't worry about a black X at all.

Had Extreme Autowerks put Photosync 75% on my windshield (1 piece) and mixed % around the rest of the car. It still gets warm inside when sitting in 90 degree sun but it has to be by far the coolest car interior I have ever sat in thanks to the Photosync. Bing was awesome and I would recommend their shop for any Tesla tinting/IR film in South LA/North OC.

Thanks for your post. I now own a black 100D X with white interior. I also had the same tinting done at Extreme Autowerks, and it has been great in sunny SoCal. It was also good to learn from other posts that 6 seaters have a second AC for the back of the car.

Just had our 2019 Model X's windshield tinted down to the top of the rear view mirror. Here in Reno the sun was too much for my wife and I didn't like the cover that come with the car. Tinting works great. I guess it depends on where you go to have it done.