Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X in showrooms?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's really gracious of you, Bonnie. I hold a reservation, but my huge question (well, my only question) is if I can fit the dogs' crates in. A couple minutes measuring the cargo area will confirm that I can keep our reservation.

If not, my options are, cancel the Model X reservation and find something else or ...one of the dogs has to stay home every time I go anywhere.

Do you dog sit? ;)

That's really gracious of you, Bonnie. I hold a reservation, but my huge question (well, my only question) is if I can fit the dogs' crates in. A couple minutes measuring the cargo area will confirm that I can keep our reservation.

If not, my options are, cancel the Model X reservation and find something else or ...one of the dogs has to stay home every time I go anywhere.

Do you dog sit? ;)

I have three standard poodles. I have no concern at all about fitting dog crates in a Model X. I can fit two crates in an old Toyota Highlander. Three in an X is very likely.

In all seriousness, depending on how life works out at whatever point in time I take delivery, I'll probably take a road trip & visit family and friends. I'll post my route as I stop at different superchargers, so if people want to come see an early X, I'm open.

That's assuming, of course, that they're still fairly rare. If not, you'll have seen as much as you want to see. :)

Meanwhile, Sig 1 won't be on a road trip. Assuming it comes in time, you can find it at one of the Santa Cruz Earth Day events, if not, host your own open-to-the-public EV promoting event and I'll probably bring it. If my Model S Sig #44 was any indication, it should be in high demand.

Meanwhile, Sig 1 won't be on a road trip. Assuming it comes in time, you can find it at one of the Santa Cruz Earth Day events, if not, host your own open-to-the-public EV promoting event and I'll probably bring it. If my Model S Sig #44 was any indication, it should be in high demand.

Way to bring people to events :). I may try talking the two of you into showing up with me at some west coast dealership hearings, depending on timing.

Awesome to hear! And I think it is pretty awesome that we have the Model X Sig #1 & #2 conversing on the same forum (not surprising, just awesome)!

I'm not seeing this logic right now. If someone orders a Model X today, they might get it in 6 months. Why is it important to Tesla to have more orders for 6 or 7 months from now, rather than making deliveries, earning cash flow, and starting to work on that six month list?
Walter

Tesla has cash flow from the Model S. Whenever they divert cars to stock the dealers will cause a delay, and certainly waiting until the waiting list ran out would be catestrophic. Therefore, it's better to do it sooner rather than later and keep the reservations flowing in. With the Model S they had display models very early and even had test drive cars by the time they had delivered only a couple hundred customer cars.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla doesn't have dealerships. It has stores (in states where direct sales are legal) and galleries (in states where Tesla can not sell directly). Dealers are businesses that sell someone else's product.

Actually that is not true. Many of Tesla's stores are in fact state licensed dealerships. What they don't have is franchised ​dealerships.

I'm not seeing this logic right now. If someone orders a Model X today, they might get it in 6 months. Why is it important to Tesla to have more orders for 6 or 7 months from now, rather than making deliveries, earning cash flow, and starting to work on that six month list?
Walter
I would say getting Model X samples in stores as quickly as possible is a high priority, not only to build future orders (beyond the 20k-25K current waiting list) but to allow current reservation holders to confirm that they want the car and, thereby, finalize those orders. It's called picking the low-hanging fruit. People have plunked down $5K to $40K for a car so that's a pretty good sign of intent to purchase. I think Tesla would want to make things easy for these Model X fans to complete their purchase commitment with a test drive or at least the ability to get into one in the showroom. I personally would probably finalize my order without a test drive (driving the Model S was enough for me), but I know my wife is going to want to check it out a little more closely before we finalize the order.

Also, wouldn't Tesla love to close out the year with a huge backlog of new orders for the Model X? I think once the Tesla stores have one that customers can check out, and the sales reps can actually start talking about the Model X in detail, Model X orders are going to skyrocket. I would guess the travelling test drive events will probably come later though, once Tesla starts to catch up with the order backlog.

-CB

Last edited:
I would say getting Model X samples in stores as quickly as possible is a high priority, not only to build future orders (beyond the 20k-25K current waiting list) but to allow current reservation holders to confirm that they want the car and, thereby, finalize those orders. It's called picking the low-hanging fruit. People have plunked down $5K to $40K for a car so that's a pretty good sign of intent to purchase. I think Tesla would want to make things easy for these Model X fans to complete their purchase commitment with a test drive or at least the ability to get into one in the showroom. I personally would probably finalize my order without a test drive (driving the Model S was enough for me), but I know my wife is going to want to check it out a little more closely before we finalize the order.

Also, wouldn't Tesla love to close out the year with a huge backlog of new orders for the Model X? I think once the Tesla stores have one that customers can check out, and the sales reps can actually start talking about the Model X in detail, Model X orders are going to skyrocket. I would guess the travelling test drive events will probably come later though, once Tesla starts to catch up with the order backlog.

-CB

A huge backlog would be nice. I would think a huge delivery record would be better, though. :)

A huge backlog would be nice. I would think a huge delivery record would be better, though. :)
Agreed but it would take less than 100 model Xes to put one in every current store in the United States. And that's not really even a blip as far as customer deliveries go.

Well... unless it's the 100 that would have taken them from 54,900 to 55,000 total car deliveries in 2015. :)

Took my first test drive today of the P85D, just to get my fix waiting for the MX. The sales associate told me that they expect to have Model X demo vehicles in the show room "soon." Nothing official, but he implied it would be within the next 2-3 weeks. They were interviewing job applicants, presumably part of the ramp up.

But then they could always sell those as inventory cars :)
Interesting. I wonder would they let the first ones go so soon? Perhaps hold on them for a least 2 months before selling? Its going to take 6 months to clear up the backlog and I don't think it'll go over well for someone to jump those in the queue so easily/quickly. Guess we'll find that out soon enough. Gosh feels good to say soon... again... oh wait (pun intended. haha)