TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X insurance question

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Vawlkus, May 9, 2018.

1. Vawlkus

Vawlkus Member

Ok, I’m a little annoyed about this, and I’d like some info to go to bat with.

My insurance policy is up for renewal, and I have an issue with my deductable being $4k. Can I get some data samples from other people with Xs and what their deductibles are please. If you want to leave what company you’re with that’d be nice as well.

2. Struja

Struja "Fanboy"

Who are you with now?

It's tough to comment on which company to go with, because you are in a different province. I deal with insurers everyday (in Ontario) and there is a huge difference between companies in how they pay claims and how much they pay in claims and how they treat their clients.

My experience put Co-Operators and Intact at the top of the list and Aviva, Wawanesa and State Farm/Desjardins at the bottom.

• Informative x 1
  3. realtycoon

realtycoon Member

How would you rank TD Meloche Monnex on your list?

4. Vawlkus

Vawlkus Member

I was a little rushed because the company I was with, Wawanesa/Aviva wouldn’t give me a quote (I suspect my agent being a problem there), so I went with RBC, who are now partnered with Aviva.

5. Struja

Struja "Fanboy"

That’s who I am insured with and they have crappy home owners policies and are kind of mid pack insurer for cars. Not the best not the worst.

6. cwave1

cwave1 Member

I'm with RBC / Aviva and had one claim with my Model S and another with another vehicle in the family.

Both claims were handled well and they even went above and beyond when the collision company used for my other vehicle was screwing us around (CarStar - Argentia Rd. Mississauga - stay away).

My Model S costs me a little under $1100 / yr.

7. Vawlkus

Vawlkus Member

What’s your deductable though?

8. Struja

Struja "Fanboy"

My Model S is just under $950/yr with a $1000 deductible, but I have also purchased optional benefits under the Accident Benefits Scheme.

My insurance on the S, is about $180 LESS per year than my 2008 Lexus IS350.

• Like x 1
  9. toolioiep

toolioiep Member

I'm with Co-Operators and the deductible on my MS 75D is $5k. Apparently, this is their policy for any car valued over $100k (which mine was at time of delivery - Dec 17).

• Informative x 1
  10. Vawlkus

Vawlkus Member

As a follow up, I dropped RBC and went straight to Aviva. Price per year is a little higher, but my deductable is down to $500.

11. Struja

Struja "Fanboy"

I believe Aviva has taken over RBC insurance, so they are one and the same. Curious that they offered different rates.

12. Vawlkus

Vawlkus Member

I actually queried them on that, and they aren’t the same company. My RBC policy is not available to Aviva, and vice-versa. Not quite sure what the connection is there.

13. Struja

Struja "Fanboy"

14. Vawlkus

Vawlkus Member