Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Insurance Rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model S 85D insurance is $1,000 per 6 months with $500 deductible and 250/500k coverage through safeco.com and our Nissan Leaf is $500 / 6 months and I guess Tesla should be 2 times more to insure, but this is still way too much IMO. If you don't have a loan increase the deductible to $1,500 which should reduce the premium considerably.
Check with Progressive. I’ve been with Geico for over 12 years and never got better rates elsewhere but Geico quoted an increase of $800 per 6 months with $1000 deductibles and coverage on the lower end.
After reading people’s suggestions here, I decided to try Progressive and they were all right. Now, I have $500 deductible on both my cars with higher coverage limits and the increase was just $150 per 6 months.
Give Progressive a shot.

Ordered my MX P100D Thursday, I take delivery on Friday (woo!).

Currently shopping around for insurance, and I'm finding the same things as others: Progressive is quoting me significantly lower rates, and everyone else is at least in the same ballpark (~$1800 vs $3200-$3700 for 6mo). I know that underwriting can vary quite a bit, especially on a car like this one, but this seems suspiciously low. If I'm unhappy with their service, I can always switch elsewhere, but I don't want to get stuck with a bad repair job or having to pay significant labor overages out of pocket. Has anyone had a claim on a Tesla with Progressive that can talk about how they handled it?
i'm paying $60-$70/month with Progressive and they are super easy to work with and an awesome company. I slid into a curb and broke a lower control arm and needed about $3500 in repair work done and it was easy as pie to deal with them. the only downside with the whole process was from Tesla taking forever with parts...

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Maybe I missed it, but I don't see anybody here mentioning Safeco? I just got a quote on a Model X, $500 deductible and $1M coverage for $874 per year. Seems pretty darn good to me.
Everyone is different. I'm moving away from safeco, because they're raising my rates because I'm getting an X (coming from my Lexus RX 450h). It went up $800/yr to swap cars. I got a quote from Allstate where the X is actually cheaper than my RX. Everyone gets different rates, so you can't rely on anyone's quotes. You need to just get quotes from every company :p

Check with Progressive. I’ve been with Geico for over 12 years and never got better rates elsewhere but Geico quoted an increase of $800 per 6 months with $1000 deductibles and coverage on the lower end.
After reading people’s suggestions here, I decided to try Progressive and they were all right. Now, I have $500 deductible on both my cars with higher coverage limits and the increase was just $150 per 6 months.
Give Progressive a shot.

Just curious, for future reference as i am with Progressive, did your premium go up much after making a claim?

Everyone is different. I'm moving away from safeco, because they're raising my rates because I'm getting an X (coming from my Lexus RX 450h). It went up $800/yr to swap cars. I got a quote from Allstate where the X is actually cheaper than my RX. Everyone gets different rates, so you can't rely on anyone's quotes. You need to just get quotes from every company :p

That's interesting as I just went the exact opposite. I have a Dec 2017 S75D and a 2018 X100D that I just picked up last week. I was with AllState and they were going to charge me $1680/6 months (or $3360/year if rate doesn't increase for the last 6 months, which never happened) for those, whereas with Safeco it's $2293/year for the same coverage. Suffice to say, I switched to Safeco in a heartbeat (also moved my umbrella and home policies). I have experience with Safeco as I had them for quite some time up until a few years ago and it was a positive one overall, so was comfortable going with them.

There are SOOOOO many factors as to why one person's insurance rate is different than another (credit score, company name registered, claims, tickets, kids on the policy, spouse's driving issues, etc) that it is unfair to compare person to person.

I shopped mine (been with USAA for 30+ years) all over the place and USAA was still the best. I even tried setting up a separate policy for my X taking my kids/wife off (they don't touch the X - not allowed/scared to) - did no good. I have an 800+ credit, no tickets but car in company name, gap coverage, etc and it was still cheaper to keep it all together.

Everyone's situation is different - shop the rates is the best advice, but beware of companies with low rates and bad claims records - ultimately this is protection for you and your vehicle (wether you use it or not) and heaven forbid, when you need it, the last thing you want is a run around that costs you more in man hours than you could have paid in $$$ for better insurance.

There are SOOOOO many factors as to why one person's insurance rate is different than another (credit score, company name registered, claims, tickets, kids on the policy, spouse's driving issues, etc) that it is unfair to compare person to person.

I shopped mine (been with USAA for 30+ years) all over the place and USAA was still the best. I even tried setting up a separate policy for my X taking my kids/wife off (they don't touch the X - not allowed/scared to) - did no good. I have an 800+ credit, no tickets but car in company name, gap coverage, etc and it was still cheaper to keep it all together.

Everyone's situation is different - shop the rates is the best advice, but beware of companies with low rates and bad claims records - ultimately this is protection for you and your vehicle (wether you use it or not) and heaven forbid, when you need it, the last thing you want is a run around that costs you more in man hours than you could have paid in $$$ for better insurance.
did you try putting the insurance in your wife's name? she could be the "primary" driver and you on the policy which may help because she's a female?

my x insurance goes through my mom, LOL! :D plus her 780+ credit score is what got me to $60/month with a $1000 deductible...i'm just on the policy as a driver (not a bad history mind you, but...)

did you try putting the insurance in your wife's name? she could be the "primary" driver and you on the policy which may help because she's a female?

my x insurance goes through my mom, LOL! :D plus her 780+ credit score is what got me to $60/month with a $1000 deductible...i'm just on the policy as a driver (not a bad history mind you, but...)
I did - minimal difference.

i'm paying $60-$70/month with Progressive and they are super easy to work with and an awesome company. I slid into a curb and broke a lower control arm and needed about $3500 in repair work done and it was easy as pie to deal with them. the only downside with the whole process was from Tesla taking forever with parts...

Just curious for future refer nice as I am with Progressive, did your rate go up after making a claim?

I hope I don't have to make a claim.

Oops sorry! Quoted the wrong post previously.

That's interesting as I just went the exact opposite. I have a Dec 2017 S75D and a 2018 X100D that I just picked up last week. I was with AllState and they were going to charge me $1680/6 months (or $3360/year if rate doesn't increase for the last 6 months, which never happened) for those, whereas with Safeco it's $2293/year for the same coverage. Suffice to say, I switched to Safeco in a heartbeat (also moved my umbrella and home policies). I have experience with Safeco as I had them for quite some time up until a few years ago and it was a positive one overall, so was comfortable going with them.

I was in a similar situation. I had been with All State for a long time (15+ years) but after getting quote for adding an X and comparing it Progressive it was quite shocking that All State was over $1k more a year for the same coverage but a higher deductible. I asked my agent to double check the quote letting him know of the quotes i was getting from Progressive (and Geico) and he said that was the best he could do.

I did end up going for Progressive after hearing a number of people talk about getting great service from them. No one else I looked at came close on the price. I do have excellent credit, but had a couple of run-ins with a pillar in the parking garage at work that are making my insurance rates higher, and cost me ~$3k on the tradein :(

And, the body panels on a Tesla is not costly as people making assumptions the aluminum is costly. Had the appraiser looked at it when I had an accident. Same cost as any other Aluminum cars.
I didn't assume it was any more than other aluminum cars, It just sounds like aluminum is difficult and costly to repair across the board. I could be wrong about this though.