Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Insurance UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys ,

Just thought it would be worth starting a thread in preparation for the arrival of the first model X into the UK.
I have a MX on order which my office have just started to approach insurers to get a feel for the likely cost to insure .Early indications are insurers haven't got a bloody clue about the forthcoming MX into the UK......!
I will update as information is filtered through to me but hopefully we can have others contributing to the thread which should benefit anyone also looking to insure?

Regards
Tanfaldo

i`m hoping that by the time my MX arrives in March there will be plenty of others who have actually got their cars on the road and can share their experiences of finding a suitable insurer.......

It's kind of interesting. Spending £100,000 plus on a car and yet no idea how much the insurance is :) at least my Toughpro floor mats arrived today!

I have had a couple of conversations regarding insurance the later with Direct line....who asked questions like do you have security cameras? What cc is it? Have you driven a similar car? (Nissan Leaf!) It is electric....I have now opened a bottle of wine and will wait until the car is on way from Tilburg in the next two weeks!! Plenty of time to sort trivial things like insurance :)

Wow, not much sleep for you then over the next couple of weeks ..........!

Guess you will literally be one of the first in the UK?

Just wondered what your thoughts are on the toughpro mats , reviews on the internet look positive ...??

Still trying to unpack them :)

Toughpro.jpg

Reading all your comments make me feel so happy I'm not going to be the model x insurance pioneer.. When I was ordering MX (delivery March) was told (and naievly beleived) that insurance wouldn't be an issue not too expensive. Will watch with interest.

Rang admiral got a quote, website wouldn't let me. I've 10 years + ncb, 40 y make no convictions £1151.15 I am with them already so new quote might be better. Might try bell as same parent but would be new business

I don't know if it's sorted yet but apparently the problem with Insurers not being to quote properly was a unique vehicle identifier not being logged in whatever central database Insurers use to pull vehicle details through to their quote engines.

Btw while looking for Model S insurance yesterday I was told by Direct Line that they have a special partnership with Tesla and to contact them. I did, and Tesla said it's only for Model X. I'm just mentioning it here in case it's useful...

Reactions: Tanflado
Btw while looking for Model S insurance yesterday I was told by Direct Line that they have a special partnership with Tesla and to contact them. I did, and Tesla said it's only for Model X. I'm just mentioning it here in case it's useful...

Not for the first, and doubtless not the last either, what you were told by Tesla was wrong. Direct Line are happy to receive S & X enquiries.

I've just been told Aviva are refusing to insure me and am waiting for a reply from Tesla as to their list of friendly insurers. Will try my luck. (Model X arriving late March.)

Direct Line Premier/Admiral/LV are all prepared to quote, all else being equal of course. NFU and Aviva have backed away of late, largely down to long repair waits and parts issues. They aren't many Tesla approved bodyshops either.

I think there was also a problem with the DVLA/Insurer database not having a code for the MX so they couldn't quote even if they wanted to. Hopefully this problem has gone away and by the time yours gets here the market has opened up further.

Just had a quote from direct line, they asked a hell of a lot of questions, one thing to note the MX is a group 93 ! Apparently groupings are 1-100 1 being pedal power to 100 rated at Bugatti/McLaren .

£667 which I was presently surprised.
42yrs with max no claims