Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Insurance UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had a quote from direct line, they asked a hell of a lot of questions, one thing to note the MX is a group 93 ! Apparently groupings are 1-100 1 being pedal power to 100 rated at Bugatti/McLaren .

£667 which I was presently surprised.
42yrs with max no claims

One thing to be careful of with direct line (and others I'm sure) : the first time I called they quoted me a really cheap rate. I called back and double checked they had the value of the car right, turns out they didn't and the quote more than doubled after that!

I've just rang Direct line to firm things up ready for My early March MXdeliver and they have just quoted me £70 more than my previous quote of 4 weeks ago!
All details were correct with no changes............??

Also just out of interest I tried Gocompare and didn't receive one quotation back! , My current insurer Avviva had me on the dog and bone asking questions for 36 minutes only to inform me that they don't insure Tesla's unless my previous car was a Tesla ...go figure that one, that's 36 minutes of my life I'm never gonna get back...........

I've just rang Direct line to firm things up ready for My early March MXdeliver and they have just quoted me £70 more than my previous quote of 4 weeks ago!
All details were correct with no changes............??

Also just out of interest I tried Gocompare and didn't receive one quotation back! , My current insurer Avviva had me on the dog and bone asking questions for 36 minutes only to inform me that they don't insure Tesla's unless my previous car was a Tesla ...go figure that one, that's 36 minutes of my life I'm never gonna get back...........

I have found LV to be more competitive than DL. Their new for old cover is better as well despite DL originally telling me if a replacement car isn't in the UK they will provide the cash equivalent instead. They won't it's market value. With LV it's current list price or your invoice price, whichever is the lower. Either way that's better than market value.

I've just had a quote from Hiscox they are insisting on a Cat 7 tracker. Been told by Tesla that installing it doesn't invalidate my guarantee BUT if there is a problem in the future as a result of it then it would. Seems like quite a few people with Model S's have had Cat 7 trackers installed.

I think I'd ask that question a few times of different people at Tesla and see how many different answers you get, and try other Insurers who don't insist on a tracker.

In my limited understanding they immobilise the ignition which isn't really compatible with a Tesla as it doesn't have a traditional ignition system.

The Tesla mothership knows where all the cars are at all times anyway and can immobilise the car remotely. Insurers haven't quite got their heads round that yet so adopt the default position of a Thatcham approved tracker.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Perhaps the issue is that Insurers require a "recognised standard", which is fair enough, and Tesla's tracker is not [yet] "approved" under such schemes.

I also don't know if it is easy? to disable the Tesla tracker - in a way that would be harder? with a Cat 7 tracker

Good question! I got a quote of £550 for my MX from LV through CompareTheMarket and just ticked the box saying the car had a tracker as assumed the inbuilt capabilities were good enough?

I think that's a dangerous assumption. The tracker on a Tesla is not what Insurers mean when they say tracker. If you are thinking of going with LV (as I am) it's well worth going onto their own quote site. At the end of the quote it will tell you whether the car needs a tracker. My didn't make any reference to a tracker but I rang to be sure and that's when they told me it would show up on the quote if it was required.

Maybe the Tesla tracker can be hacked? Just how secure is Tesla's operating system, including the app, from a determined attack e.g. by Russia, or ISIS? I've had a quote from NFU for when the X arrives and there was no mention of needing a third party tracker.

I avoid companies who insist on a tracker. I've had trackers on previous cars and come insurance renewal time when asking the company if they offer a discount for a tracker they usually say no so I've just not bothered renewing the tracker subscription. The tracker's entirely for the insurance company's benefit, not yours!

Well it's looks like direct line for me, results so far- 9 years+ No claims ,42 years old ,No points.
Gocompare- not one insurance quote
Avviva- (current insurer )won't insure
LV- won't insure me due to post code area and value of vehicle( never ever been told my post code is a high risk area)
Northern counties (broker) -£1032
Direct line - initial quote around £660 rang back 3 weeks later and they put it up to £720

Good luck chaps you're going to need it if my experience is anything to go by....

My car isn't due delivery for a couple of weeks so if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know ?

Regards
Tanfaldo

I went on comparethemarket a few nights back and cheapest was 800ish (admiral I think), I needed to install a tracker for the cheapest 3-4 options.
This is for a X90D. am 43, 10 years no claims. Is this good?
You'd think Tesla might set something up, given they control repairs (via approved shops only) and so know more about the costs than anyone...?

I went on comparethemarket a few nights back and cheapest was 800ish (admiral I think), I needed to install a tracker for the cheapest 3-4 options.
This is for a X90D. am 43, 10 years no claims. Is this good?
You'd think Tesla might set something up, given they control repairs (via approved shops only) and so know more about the costs than anyone...?

Tesla have engaged with Direct Line and the latter have a specific Tesla team, 0800 533 5264. They understand the car more than most but that's not to say they will offer the best quote (however you define "best"). Well worth a try.

I have just confirmed insurance with direct line ready for my March 14th delivery. To my pleasant surprise the original quotation of £667 has been hounoured including business insurance, No claims protection, legal cover and hire car of equivalent size and spec in the event of repair (which will be interesting !) . I tried a number of other companies and actually failed to get one other insurance quote!
Direct line certainly seemed clued up on the Tesla unlike some of the other Numptys that I had the misfortune of trying to acquire a quotation from..............honestly some of the questions I was being asked were comical to say the least!

Good luck with the process everyone!

Reactions: WannabeOwner
X P100D - £466 with Direct Line - 10yrs no-claims.

I was paying three times this to Admiral for my S P90D.

Hat-tip to Tesla in Stockport and Birmingham for suggesting getting a comparitive quote from DL (DL has a dedicated Tesla phone line and sales team!) :)