Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X: Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think insurance on the performance models is significantly more than others. I'm paying more for the X than three other cars combined.
That might be right. My 4 year old non performance X is costing me the same amount on insurance as my 8 year old Toyota at half the price !!!

As for electric cost, I think OP will find LOTS of information on the internet to show that generally it is going to be fairly less cost than gasoline for the same mileage. And of course that depends on the cost of electricity. Example, my X100 is costing me 1/3 the cost of gasoline per mile in my area where electricity is 9 cents per KWh and gasoline currently at $2.60.

oh and to say I would ignore actual insurance rates that I or anyone else is paying as you probably know it won't apply to you. Too many variables in that business. Where you might get hit the most is on auto registration costs for the first few years due to the high cost of that car.

Hopefully things might be cheaper in Texas
Maybe yes and maybe no. Wife (used to be in that business) says insurance cost has the most to do with WHERE you are driving (big city or small city), recent few years of previous claims, age, multiple discounts or not, driving record, mileage per year, type of car, age of car, and a couple other things I missed since she was talking so fast. Thus, I guess and hope you already knew all of this.
One good example is that when we moved from the busy San Francisco bay area to up here in Sparks near the GigaFactory, our car insurance dropped 8% immediately with all other factors staying the same.

• Informative
Reactions: T-Mom
I'm looking to buy a Model X as a replacement for my Honda Odyssey. Does anyone have any advice on the practicality of a Model X, insurance costs, and electricity?

Electricity, you can estimate cost by looking at your electric bill and adding in what you think the car will eat. Remember you only use a fraction of the battery on a daily basis. I figure both of our cars are consuming less than $50/month (frankly, I completely ignore electricity) Rates in Indiana are pretty cheap though, only around $.09/kWh flat.

Insurance varies all over the place. I am paying Progressive $253 per six months for my X, $239 for my 3. But both my wife and I are retired, have multiple Tesla’s and non teslas, and my home is with them as well. Call your agent, or get an online quote.

I'm looking to buy a Model X as a replacement for my Honda Odyssey. Does anyone have any advice on the practicality of a Model X, insurance costs, and electricity?

Odyssey is definitely the more practical car if you are trying to comfortably carry a lot of people. The sliding doors are also much more practical than the falcon wing doors. However, the Model X is also practical for carrying people. The FWD are very useful, especially for buckling kids in, just showy or really cool depending on your take. After 3 years, I still find the FWD super cool, and the X is just a joy to drive. Safe and comfortable, can still fit up to 7, yet fast and fun to drive.

I think potential savings on maintenance between electric vs gas cars is outweighed by the fact the X goes through tires much faster. I had to replace my first set at just 22k miles, so I'm changing tires every 2 years instead of 4ish when I had a Camry (guessing Odyssey is similar). Tires for this car aren't cheap -- $900 for the first I choose.

Insurance: check multiple carriers, I was on Allstate when we had a 8 year old accord and 15 year old Camry and now on Progressive with a 3 and X, paying only $200 more every 6 months ($850 every 6 months).

Electricity: totally worth it. Especially now in Covid era, so glad we don't have to go to the gas station. Yes for longer trips you have to stop and charge, but the break is a wonderful coffee break and the time you spend there I think is balanced by the time the rest of the year you don't spend going to a gas station. We have solar panels that generate enough electricity for both cars, so that's awesome too from cost perspective.

Electricity, you can estimate cost by looking at your electric bill and adding in what you think the car will eat. Remember you only use a fraction of the battery on a daily basis. I figure both of our cars are consuming less than $50/month (frankly, I completely ignore electricity) Rates in Indiana are pretty cheap though, only around $.09/kWh flat.

Insurance varies all over the place. I am paying Progressive $253 per six months for my X, $239 for my 3. But both my wife and I are retired, have multiple Tesla’s and non teslas, and my home is with them as well. Call your agent, or get an online quote.

Hats off to you! I thought I had decent insurance rates with home/auto on Progressive also but yours is half my cost!

Too many variables to list, but location is the primary factor to consider here. I'm in OH and my insurance is around $90 per month (P90D). As for electricity, it's also pretty cheap at $0.05 kWh.

One thing I'd recommend though, get as much range as you can afford. I regret being "cheap" and not getting a newer model with more range. On the highway, the X can be a bit annoying with it's lack of range (especially older models). If it's winter weather (<40F), you'll certainly be glad you have the larger battery pack. In the summer, my highway range is around 140 miles (<70 mph).

Electricity, you can estimate cost by looking at your electric bill and adding in what you think the car will eat. Remember you only use a fraction of the battery on a daily basis.
Good information. OP can also go to one of several sites that gets a more accurate estimate of savings on EV verses gas.
Try this one. http://chooseev.com/savings-calculator/
Enter EV car, compare to gasoline car model.

There's so many factors, but here's an additional data point. My MX was 20% more than my Toyota Sienna.

Upfront cost is high - although that gap is closing fast over a loaded minivan. Overall yearly costs - maintenance, repairs, "fuel", insurance, etc. ends up about a breakeven if you own outside of a warranty compared to a minivan.

Good information. OP can also go to one of several sites that gets a more accurate estimate of savings on EV verses gas.
Try this one. http://chooseev.com/savings-calculator/
Enter EV car, compare to gasoline car model.

Only problem is calculators like that assume you are actually PAYING for that electricity (no FUSC). They also neglect to include the time saved by never having to visit a gas station again. IMO, That is Priceless! ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: E Dizzle and T-Mom
Only problem is calculators like that assume you are actually PAYING for that electricity (no FUSC). They also neglect to include the time saved by never having to visit a gas station again. IMO, That is Priceless! ;)
yes, I agree. Just trying to answer the OPs question of comparing a Tesla to his Honda. That calculator will give him a better idea than opinions here. It would be even more priceless if I also never had to visit a charging station again too. :) Where is that nuclear powered car? :D

Hats off to you! I thought I had decent insurance rates with home/auto on Progressive also but yours is half my cost!
BUT, I doubt all the variables are the same as yours and hence probably why his is half the cost, not necessary because his company is better. Insurance quoting systems are complex and factor in a LOT of variables such as driving location, mileage per year, recent few years of claims or accidents, driver age, years of driving history, male or female, type of car, cost of car, age of car, amount and type of insurance desired, on and on and on.

If you're hell bent on taking advantage of FUSC then that's contradictory...
Time saved from gas stations < Time spent at superchargers

If we REALLY wanted to nitpick though then you'd have to break down each state; the incentives. Plus if you're assuming I'm not paying for electricity, you should probably take into account the cost of my solar system and the associated incentives with that...

I think a simple calculator as an alternative is fine for now..

yes, I agree. Just trying to answer the OPs question of comparing a Tesla to his Honda. That calculator will give him a better idea than opinions here. It would be even more priceless if I also never had to visit a charging station again too. :) Where is that nuclear powered car? :D

Just to add, fueleconomy.gov does the same thing. You can also adjust your highway/city mileage to get a closer 1-1 since we don't always get what's rated.