Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope the glass is better on the X. I don't think the second rock that cracked the windshield on the S would have even pitted the glass on my BMW.

The issue isn't the glass material. A lot of things come into play - the specific shape of the rock and the slope of the windshield are two major ones. A rock that has a sharp, pointed edge that lands point-down will damage nearly any production windshield in the US. It's why there are some rocks that will damage even the latest, strongest gorilla glass if you drop your phone on them, yet many drops onto driveways with flatter stone will survive.

Geez...I was getting closer to finally pulling the trigger on an X, but when I received a quote from my insurer (Mercury), I found out it was going to raise the rates by nearly $1K / 6 months over my current SUV. I don't even think I spend $2K per year on gas.

And, combined with the two cars I don't plan to sell, that would bring my annual insurance cost to over $4K per year. I'm not sure how I'm going to justify this now.

I live in Southern California in the suburbs of Los Angeles, so I know we have pretty high rates here. But that's insane.

I should add that I'm pretty paranoid about the large windshield too...a rock hit the windshield of my destined-to-be-replaced SUV on the very first week I owned her (fortunately it was a chip that could be filled, but I had to endure seeing that blemish as it was in my line of sight for over ten years). I eventually had to replace that windshield (once in 13 years isn't so bad), but I've had to replace my sportscar's windshield three times in the 16 years I've owned her.

• Informative
Reactions: Niko0519
I have Nationwide Insurance since I like Peyton Manning. I went in for a quote but they couldn't really give me one since the VIN doesn't pull up a vehicle in their system. I did get a ballpark quote of $724 for 6 months but I have fairly low deductibles of $250 and $50. I will reassess all of it in a couple of weeks and see whether I stick with Nationwide or switch to another provider.
My current 2015 Volvo XC60 is $630 for 6 months so it would be about $15/month difference but my 2nd car which is a Hyundai Sonata lease is roughly $600/month also and that insurance will drop quite a bit when I turn in the lease in September and get something cheaper.

Geez...I was getting closer to finally pulling the trigger on an X, but when I received a quote from my insurer (Mercury), I found out it was going to raise the rates by nearly $1K / 6 months over my current SUV. I don't even think I spend $2K per year on gas.

And, combined with the two cars I don't plan to sell, that would bring my annual insurance cost to over $4K per year. I'm not sure how I'm going to justify this now.

I live in Southern California in the suburbs of Los Angeles, so I know we have pretty high rates here. But that's insane.
Did you shop around? Might be time to switch companies. Also, was this for a Performance model or a regular production model?

Insurance seems to be dependent on multiple factors... location, Insurers, family situation, driving history, type of vehicles on-and-on. I was fearful after reading the forums on the effect the X will have.... My X (delivering April 19th) raised my rate $60 bucks A YEAR over my 2007 Audi Q7... yes $5/month. Hartford quoted and issued the policy for $630 a year! Now I have all the advantages, senior, retired, no minors or other drivers, low mileage, etc. So as interesting as this thread may be, one's individual situation determines rates.

My insurance company (Ameriprise) would not insure my X. On the day of the sale they said they don't insure anything over 100,000. I've been with them for 20 years! Couldn't believe it. I called Farmers and they set me up but it was way more expensive! I was bummed because I've heard on here that it would be an easy change. It wasn't even though I was driving an Model S before and that car was no problem. I guess the plus is I have a better insurance company now?

Overwhelming advice is to shop around. I've been overpaying for years, apparently. I've gotten great rates on the X (plus my two other modest cars) from Travelers and Liberty Mutual. I'm in Georgia. Gave my VIN, it showed up in their systems, they quoted fair rates. I'm going to call one or two more and then finalize...because in general I'd rather stick an icepick in my eye than shop insurance rates. Especially with three cars and a house (multiple policy discount).

Sean

Reactions: MrBoylan
I use State Farm for my model X and live in Southern California. I received an $800 yearly reduction in the policy as they only had the signature model in their systems back in April. My agent was able to jump through hoops and after three weeks they acknowledged the error and adjusted the vehicle based on its true MSRP of 115k insteadof the 142k for the Signature.

To state the obvious, insurance is based on where you live, your driving record, etc....If you get a high quote on the X it might be as in my case they do not have the correct MSRP in the system. Then it is just a bunch of bureaucratic hurdles to get the large company to make the appropriate adjustment.

Yea to follow up, my quote for State Farm was adjusted down to 850 for 6 months from their original 1.2k or so. I also checked Progressive at the time and got a quote around 800-820 from Progressive for 6 months as well. These were with 500 deductible.