Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X interior appreciably more "premium" than Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stopped by the local Tesla showroom today as my wife wanted to check out the X after our order for the S was confirmed. Still think the S is the better car for us, but as others have stated in here, the X definitely feels closer to the $100k+ price tag. A few examples:

1. Soft touch materials on door frames are noticeably softer and more premium-feeling on X.

2. Perforated seats with adjustable headrests on X feel and look nicer than the next gen S seats

3. Rubber door seals on X are clearly manufactured from a different and harder material than on the S, making them feel much sturdier and less prone to getting folded underneath the door frame.

4. Closing door on X by stepping on the brakes is pretty neat. Having to manually close doors on S feels a little outdated in comparison.

5. Soft close doors! Why aren't these on the S too?

6. Integrated center console has wood on the main sliding panel. S just has the typical soft touch stuff.

Since it seems that a lot of the parts would be interchangeable with the X, one can only hope that eventually the S will see similar upgrades.

^^ agreed. I think Model S will eventually see these. I'm surprised it hasn't already. Looks like the guys at Tesla are really busy fixing Model X issues, and getting that absolutely smooth before rolling these into Model S. I'd say next year's Model S could be very well at par with Model X.

All that said, from the outside, Model X looks like a toad. Model S is far prettier.

Have you visited the Model X forums here yet?

It's like a bunch of soldiers gathered around that have lost the will to fight. They don't even bother helping each other any more with solutions. It's like they've been through hell and back.

Elon Musk sleeps on the factory floor because of the X, and he must have lost years of his life because of the X.

Owners are turning into Hoder because they keep having to hold the doors to keep them from opening when they don't want them to. A lot of the time it's the latches.

Owners are crawling in through a passenger door since they can't get the driver side to open when its parked sideways on a hill.

One owner sued because the automatic doors kept closing on his foot among other things, and Tesla settled.

Owners can't even unlock the doors with the keyfob like they're used to because that causes the driver side door to automatically open. It wasn't even that way when some of them bought it. It was a "feature" unleashed through a software update.

Some owners have just accepted that the FWD doors will be damaged by their kids. They're long past the point of even bothering to protect them.

At a supercharger people are frightened that a Model X door might hit their car. Hell I might move my Model S if a Model X ever did happen to park next to me at a supercharger. Sign posts are even anxious when a Tesla Model X parks next to them. They're looking down and hoping for dear god that they don't get hit when the FWD opens up.

Sure it's neat to watch the FWD, and sometimes it would nice to have a door automatically open and close for you. But, imagine all the times it can go wrong. Where your door spontaneously opens when you don't want it to.

The Model S does have the garage door opener/closer, and if you choose to use that feature to close the door it will come back to bite you at some point.

The Model X has tons of things that can bite you, and you can't turn them all off.

• Funny
Reactions: zambono

It's like a bunch of soldiers gathered around that have lost the will to fight. They don't even bother helping each other any more with solutions. It's like they've been through hell and back.

Elon Musk sleeps on the factory floor because of the X, and he must have lost years of his life because of the X.

Owners are turning into Hoder because they keep having to hold the doors to keep them from opening when they don't want them to. A lot of the time it's the latches.

Owners are crawling in through a passenger door since they can't get the driver side to open when its parked sideways on a hill.

One owner sued because the automatic doors kept closing on his foot among other things, and Tesla settled.

Owners can't even unlock the doors with the keyfob like they're used to because that causes the driver side door to automatically open. It wasn't even that way when some of them bought it. It was a "feature" unleashed through a software update.

Some owners have just accepted that the FWD doors will be damaged by their kids. They're long past the point of even bothering to protect them.

At a supercharger people are frightened that a Model X door might hit their car. Hell I might move my Model S if a Model X ever did happen to park next to me at a supercharger. Sign posts are even anxious when a Tesla Model X parks next to them. They're looking down and hoping for dear god that they don't get hit when the FWD opens up.

Sure it's neat to watch the FWD, and sometimes it would nice to have a door automatically open and close for you. But, imagine all the times it can go wrong. Where your door spontaneously opens when you don't want it to.

The Model S does have the garage door opener/closer, and if you choose to use that feature to close the door it will come back to bite you at some point.

The Model X has tons of things that can bite you, and you can't turn them all off.

The Xs are going to take a huge $ hit when they hit the used market after the warranty has expired

The Xs are going to take a huge $ hit when they hit the used market after the warranty has expired

I wouldn't be surprised to see the 50,000 mile, 4 year warranty turn into a 100,000 mile, 5 year warranty.
There are several variations on this theme, or, in the parlance of the day, levers that can be pulled to reduce anxiety with regard to reliability or the lack thereof.

Insofar as the used market goes, I don't know that, beyond perception, Tesla gives much of a hoot at this point relative to their primary foci (new X, new 3, new S). How they grow the 3 platform and the impact thereof upon the S/X is enough of a challenge without even beginning to consider that Tesla is going to be a battery/energy company as much as anything else.

With all of that said, we've all seen how, for example, Audis drop like stones value-wise after not that many years. Anything Tesla does to not have *that* reputation for their used product would be appreciated, certainly.

I'm in the process of trading my X back to Tesla.

My MS 90D is on order.

I am not an X owner, but living where I do (SF Bay Area) I have started to see X's more and more this year and have spoken to several owners that I have met in parking lots and other places. Every one of them has been enthusiastic and excited about their car.

Reading TMC there is no question that the X has had multiple software and hardware problems since launch. In some ways they remind me of the issues that Tesla had after beginning S production in 2012 and continuing into 2013 when I bought mine. And yet the S went on to be a very successful car with continually increasing sales, winning numerous accolades (and of course, lots of criticism, some justified but most not in my opinion).

I sympathize with the trials and tribulations that the early X owners are going through, but I remain confident that Tesla will solve their issues and that X sales will continue to grow. Elon seems to have a history of releasing amazing and revolutionary products before they are perfected and then working out the bugs. It's his way of pushing the envelope and advancing the technology. Some people can't tolerate it, others grin and bear it, many don't it outweigh the positives, and through it all Tesla continues to grow and scare the hell out of the competition, prodding the other manufacturers to reluctantly begin to develop EVs of their own that are more than ugly short range urban commuting vehicles.

@TaoJones idea of Tesla retroactively extending the X overall warranty period is an interesting one. That would be an outstanding goodwill gesture, but I wouldn't bet money on it happening. We shall see...

...Tesla retroactively extending the X overall warranty period is an interesting one. That would be an outstanding goodwill gesture, but I wouldn't bet money on it happening. We shall see...

Then you definitely will want to short the rest of the idea, which is that Tesla both takes care of current X (and S) owners *and* extends the warranty (pun intended) to new buyers as well.

It'll more than make up for the elimination of the GRV program as of 6/30, and will be a nice poke in the eye with a sharp stick in the direction of Consumers Union.

Of course, it would only make sense to execute this comprehensive approach *after* quality has exceeded some associated revenue-neutral threshold.

Should this come to pass, and it would admittedly take some giant cojones, it would be pretty sweet indeed to watch most of the other manufacturers squirm. Perfect opportunity to also (further) expose the hypocrisy and inherent conflicts of interest associated with the traditional stealership model (the majority of stealership revenue comes from service invoicing).

So there's the case for, finally, a mileage-doesn't-matter new car warranty for a car with 74% fewer moving parts and an enviable safety record. Push the ESA to miles 100,001-150,000 and bump the price to $5,000.

Plenty of room for devil's advocacy. They'd probably have to set a VIN threshold for CPOs, for example.

I too believe that the X will go on to be a successful vehicle, and I even think the Falcon Wing Doors will turn out to be really useful as well.

I mostly need an SUV to carry cargo, and not so much people. I think the X is an excellent tool to carry a bunch of people, but it's cargo capacity is pretty limited. I was worried before I got it but was hoping some of the other cool things about it would make up for that. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way, and I've decided to get a Model S instead and my wife will drive an ICE SUV for when we do need the cargo utility.

Maybe in a few years when her ICE SUV needs replacing, the MX will be ready for prime-time and I'll try it again.