Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Interior Design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my X on Monday, and been showing off to some friends. A few people actually burst my bubble by saying that the X interior doesn't look luxurious enough given its high price. Thoughts?

I would say that is because, well, Model X (or Model S) interior doesn't look luxurious enough given its high price. I would say you friends are basically just stating a fact. It is obvious and evident to most objective observers, IMO. Just recently, as an example, we have had a lot of talk about the poor leather quality in Tesla's seating: Perforated seats durability?

I have listed some of the shortcomings in my previous posts (e.g. Model X 5 Seat Deliveries). Basically when I came from an Audi A8 to Model S in 2014, it was obvious I was giving up a lot of interior quality and settling for much less. But it was OK, because the car platform was still new, it seemed like a competent first attempt etc. And of course that drivetrain and 17" UI were the bomb.

Unfortunately fast-forward to 2017, things are not much better than they were in 2014 in that regard. Few interior features and options have been added (steering wheel heating, slightly improved seating and storage) and then others have come and gone (seat ventilation, interior trim choices, seat folding on X a mixed bag), but basically three years later Teslas are still very basic cars interior-wise - more akin perhaps to a Volkswagen or Toyota, than BMW or Audi, let alone Porsche.

Tesla does two things well: EV drivetrain (except Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits) and an innovative, upgradeable software platform - and Model X has the unique, weirdmobile doors. These are the differentiator. The rest they have is mediocre at best. The interior choices especially are dramatically lacking compared to what you can select for your average German high-end model.

The small number of choices are very Toyota-like and the quality is Volkswageny and not always even there. Interior features are often less than these have.

I think of my Tesla interior as kind of Scandanavian in appearance. Simple, elegant, and not distracting.

Volvo does Scandinavian interiors. As some clever mind put on Electrek recently, there is nothing wrong with Scandinavian design ethos, the problem is with Tesla the quality is not there, nor are the features. Everything back from the dash (which is OK, aside from lack of trim choices) is very mediocre on a Tesla. Worse still, things have not been improving much in recent years, with interior changes more a mixed bag than some kind of clear, great progress story.

Apple is an example of premium simplicity. With Tesla the premium is not nearly always there, let alone any kind of luxury. The haphazard five-seater implementation in Model X, I guess, being the latest glaring example of this at Tesla.

I would not be surprised if @rainforest has a five-seater, because that adds to the lack of premium feel on the Model X.

I am definitely driving a Tesla despite of its interior, not because of it.

That complete interior overhaul for Tesla can not come quickly enough.

Last edited:
I would say that is because, well, Model X (or Model S) interior doesn't look luxurious enough given its high price. I would say you friends are basically just stating a fact. It is obvious and evident to most objective observers, IMO. Just recently, as an example, we have had a lot of talk about the poor leather quality in Tesla's seating: Perforated seats durability?

I have listed some of the shortcomings in my previous posts (e.g. Model X 5 Seat Deliveries). Basically when I came from an Audi A8 to Model S in 2014, it was obvious I was giving up a lot of interior quality and settling for much less. But it was OK, because the car platform was still new, it seemed like a competent first attempt etc. And of course that drivetrain and 17" UI were the bomb.

Unfortunately fast-forward to 2017, things are not much better than they were in 2014 in that regard. Few interior features and options have been added (steering wheel heating, slightly improved seating and storage) and then others have come and gone (seat ventilation, interior trim choices, seat folding on X a mixed bag), but basically three years later Teslas are still very basic cars interior-wise - more akin perhaps to a Volkswagen or Toyota, than BMW or Audi, let alone Porsche.

Tesla does two things well: EV drivetrain (except Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits) and an innovative, upgradeable software platform - and Model X has the unique, weirdmobile doors. These are the differentiator. The rest they have is mediocre at best. The interior choices especially are dramatically lacking compared to what you can select for your average German high-end model.

The small number of choices are very Toyota-like and the quality is Volkswageny and not always even there. Interior features are often less than these have.

Volvo does Scandinavian interiors. As some clever mind put on Electrek recently, there is nothing wrong with Scandinavian design ethos, the problem is with Tesla the quality is not there, nor are the features. Everything back from the dash (which is OK, aside from lack of trim choices) is very mediocre on a Tesla. Worse still, things have not been improving much in recent years, with interior changes more a mixed bag than some kind of clear, great progress story.

Apple is an example of premium simplicity. With Tesla the premium is not nearly always there, let alone any kind of luxury. The haphazard five-seater implementation in Model X, I guess, being the latest glaring example of this at Tesla.

I would not be surprised if @rainforest has a five-seater, because that adds to the lack of premium feel on the Model X.

I am definitely driving a Tesla despite of its interior, not because of it.

That complete interior overhaul for Tesla can not come quickly enough.

You're right. I have a 5 seater. But I just look at the simple interior as being "futuristic" and "apple like".

I was on a budget and didn't want to keep adding more options. I only have the 60D, and I had to pony up extra for the air suspension and the doubling in price of enhanced autopilot. And in the two weeks I've had the car, I've already needed to fold the seats twice to move things. But I do envy the 6 seater. Oh well....

I originally only budgeted for an e class Mercedes before switching to Tesla.

You're right. I have a 5 seater. But I just look at the simple interior as being "futuristic" and "apple like".

I was on a budget and didn't want to keep adding more options. I only have the 60D, and I had to pony up extra for the air suspension and the doubling in price of enhanced autopilot. And in the two weeks I've had the car, I've already needed to fold the seats twice to move things. But I do envy the 6 seater. Oh well....

I originally only budgeted for an e class Mercedes before switching to Tesla.

Just to be on the safe side: I did not mean to belittle your car, just to be clear. I was just being brutally honest about where things stand with Tesla. :)

They are all compromises, really. The six/seven seaters suffer from a fundamental practicality flaw, though they do look better quality.

The EV drivetrain and the software innovation that is there is, still, for the most part worth it of course.

I have owned a number of Audi and Porsche vehicles before moving to Tesla. While the interior is somewhat sparse or some would say minimalist, I actually appreciate that. I also don't think the Tesla interiors will age as fast as some of the german brands either. Just look back at some of the MB, BMW interiors from 5-7 years ago and they look pretty dated. I sat in my friends Tesla from 2013 and it still looks modern. I think this type of question will always come down to taste - and that is a good thing as we need design variety. With respect to quality, will have to see once i've owned the car for a while, but I wouldn't say Audi, BMW or Porsche are that great either. Lots of problems, squeaks, rattles etc.

I have owned a number of Audi and Porsche vehicles before moving to Tesla. While the interior is somewhat sparse or some would say minimalist, I actually appreciate that. I also don't think the Tesla interiors will age as fast as some of the german brands either. Just look back at some of the MB, BMW interiors from 5-7 years ago and they look pretty dated. I sat in my friends Tesla from 2013 and it still looks modern. I think this type of question will always come down to taste - and that is a good thing as we need design variety. With respect to quality, will have to see once i've owned the car for a while, but I wouldn't say Audi, BMW or Porsche are that great either. Lots of problems, squeaks, rattles etc.

There is nothing wrong with the sparse design ethos of Tesla. IMO they could well keep that, while pushing up the quality and premium feel/features of it all. But that sparse design ethos does not really explain poor leather quality, mismatching parts/colors/trims, very limited material selections, super-limited interior features etc.

The decrease in interior quality and convenience is very evident when coming from a similarly priced Audi with high-end options, e.g. an Audi A8.

I really appreciate this thread and how everyone is so respectful in discussing this topic. Just wanted to say that. As a Model X 75d owner I have to agree that fit and finish and design is not the strong suit of these vehicles. I also agree that I actually appreciate the minimalist design ethos that is in these vehicles. Yesterday, Friday, I had to drive from Los Angeles to San Diego in 5 p.m. rush hour traffic. I'm telling you, that panoramic windshield, that uncluttered interior and of course AP2 saved my sanity. I love a blinged-out interior as much as the next person but I also really appreciate the simple ambiance of these cars...

abikepeddler: Now combine that simple ambiance with better materials, more interior trim choices, better matching materials in those areas where things are lacking (e.g. X five-seater has several such issues) and visually subtle but functional additions (like seats that actually have premium-level adjustments)... it could be a win-win, without sacrificing the soothing design style.

Just to be on the safe side: I did not mean to belittle your car, just to be clear. I was just being brutally honest about where things stand with Tesla. :)

They are all compromises, really. The six/seven seaters suffer from a fundamental practicality flaw, though they do look better quality.

The EV drivetrain and the software innovation that is there is, still, for the most part worth it of course.

No offense taken. I wanted to solicit opinions.

I do agree that this interior may not age like other cars due to its clean lines.

I looked at my X window sticker the other day. They have the vehicle price before options at $74K. Then you add in the battery and other options. The battery was the biggest upgrade. So you could argue that the interior matches a $74K car with options like battery and performance that really drives the price up. Those high dollar options are not available on other luxury cars. If you want a Bentley interior, that cost would be in addition to battery and performance upgrades. So, I don't think it is comparable to a standard ICE car. We are paying more for the electric drive capabilities as compared to a gas engine, I would say up to 10 times more for the power plant.

Reactions: Vitold
True story - I am not making this just to respond to the erstwhile friends who burst the OP's bubble.

When we had our Model X XPel-wrapped this week, there was for our ogling a Bentley Maybach also being wrapped; the shop expansively let us paw through it.

I left thinking how ridiculously overpriced it was - all I saw was a rich set of saloon seats in a cloddish, last-century technology vehicle with all the baggage of internal combustion propulsion and mechanical drivetrain. Why?, when a spectacular alternative exists?

on edit: rush6410 brought up Bentley while I was crafting the above - I'd not seen that response.

I looked at my X window sticker the other day. They have the vehicle price before options at $74K. Then you add in the battery and other options. The battery was the biggest upgrade. So you could argue that the interior matches a $74K car with options like battery and performance that really drives the price up. Those high dollar options are not available on other luxury cars. If you want a Bentley interior, that cost would be in addition to battery and performance upgrades. So, I don't think it is comparable to a standard ICE car. We are paying more for the electric drive capabilities as compared to a gas engine, I would say up to 10 times more for the power plant.

Bentley is an extreme example, though. Way up there, there are plenty of more reasonably priced premium/luxury interiors available that superceed the Tesla one...

Anyway, this poor interior but great EV drivetrain excuse is wearing IMO thin. There is no reason the car couldn't have both and we should be pushing Tesla to do better - instead of the way they have been stalling for the past couple of years on this.

We shall see what Audi and Jaguar have in their large-battery EVs in 2018. That, I expect, is when the competition heats up. Both interior and EV drivetrain-wise.

Reactions: Sean Wagner
Bentley is an extreme example, though. Way up there, there are plenty of more reasonably priced premium/luxury interiors available that superceed the Tesla one...

Anyway, this poor interior but great EV drivetrain excuse is wearing IMO thin. There is no reason the car couldn't have both and we should be pushing Tesla to do better - instead of the way they have been stalling for the past couple of years on this.

We shall see what Audi and Jaguar have in their large-battery EVs in 2018. That, I expect, is when the competition heats up. Both interior and EV drivetrain-wise.
Is there a single thing that you like about the X at all? Are you living with one now? I'm just honestly trying to understand your relentless negativity. Truly. I know, I know, I complain, too. So sure I HATE EAP and everything about how it was sold and is being rolled out, but I still see what is great about the car. Despite this anger about EAP and the general corporate dishonesty in sales, it's fun to drive. I like the spaceship interior. EAP has potential. The car is practical for my family of 5. It's electric.

And again, for what it's worth -- and in matters of taste it's kinda worth everything and not at the same time -- I would loathe were the inside to be some tacky bougie leather encrusted ode to British aristocracy.

For some strange reason, it feels like Tesla can only focus on improving one vehicle at a time. At the moment, that vehicle is the 3, so I'm hoping that once the 3 is in full production, they can go back to the S and then X and work on improving the interior.

With regards to @AnxietyRanger's negativity, he has stated a number of times (in various threads) that he loves the Tesla EV platform, OTA updates and weirdo doors on the X. He just wants a higher quality interior.

Reactions: disagree
For some strange reason, it feels like Tesla can only focus on improving one vehicle at a time. At the moment, that vehicle is the 3, so I'm hoping that once the 3 is in full production, they can go back to the S and then X and work on improving the interior.

With regards to @AnxietyRanger's negativity, he has stated a number of times (in various threads) that he loves the Tesla EV platform, OTA updates and weirdo doors on the X. He just wants a higher quality interior.

Fair enough! I guess I just haven't followed those threads. My apologies, @AnxietyRanger

(I still differ on the style of interior :))

Reactions: vandacca

If your point is that the Tesla's interior is superceded by other luxury brands at $80,000 price point, then I could understand your argument even though I do not agree. My point is the EV components drive the cost up to as much as $60,000. You shouldn't expect the interior to match a $160,000 ICE vehicle. The ICE vehicle's interior should reflect the $60,000 on interior upgrades. And should far exceed the Tesla. I don't see cost for EV engineering coming to parity with cost for ICE any time soon, or even in the next couple decades.

If your point is that the Tesla's interior is superceded by other luxury brands at $80,000 price point, then I could understand your argument even though I do not agree. My point is the EV components drive the cost up to as much as $60,000. You shouldn't expect the interior to match a $160,000 ICE vehicle. The ICE vehicle's interior should reflect the $60,000 on interior upgrades. And should far exceed the Tesla. I don't see cost for EV engineering coming to parity with cost for ICE any time soon, or even in the next couple decades.

Well, I would say one major problem with that is that Tesla does not offer premium interior options even at the kind of premium you suggest. They are selling a very expensive car with the interior selection of a Toyota (meaning number of choices) and the quality of a Volkswagen.

I mean, it is not at Audi A6 levels even, and that is not an $80,000 car. And the quality drop from an Audi A8 is already massive.

I like the design of the MX interior in the front row - spacious and attractive simplicity. The seats are comfortable and adjustable. I don't need nor desire seats that will give me a massage.

Not to say that the interior couldn't be better. The 6 seat configuration should have captains chairs. The third row is rather cramped, which has apparently been improved in newer builds (scooped out side walls increases shoulder and arm space). The biggest interior fail has been discussed ad nauseum, but I have decided to live with the nonfolding 2nd row seats without complaint. Version 2 of the Model X will be much better.

Reactions: madodel
I
I like the design of the MX interior in the front row - spacious and attractive simplicity. The seats are comfortable and adjustable. I don't need nor desire seats that will give me a massage.

Not to say that the interior couldn't be better. The 6 seat configuration should have captains chairs. The third row is rather cramped, which has apparently been improved in newer builds (scooped out side walls increases shoulder and arm space). The biggest interior fail has been discussed ad nauseum, but I have decided to live with the nonfolding 2nd row seats without complaint. Version 2 of the Model X will be much better.

I have massage chairs in my Mercedes, and they are a total gimmick. Trust me.

Isn't the 5 seater better? I find it can sit 3 adults in the second row comfortably.

True story - I am not making this just to respond to the erstwhile friends who burst the OP's bubble.

When we had our Model X XPel-wrapped this week, there was for our ogling a Bentley Maybach also being wrapped; the shop expansively let us paw through it.

I left thinking how ridiculously overpriced it was - all I saw was a rich set of saloon seats in a cloddish, last-century technology vehicle with all the baggage of internal combustion propulsion and mechanical drivetrain. Why?, when a spectacular alternative exists?

on edit: rush6410 brought up Bentley while I was crafting the above - I'd not seen that response.

On a few days' re-think:

Oops. That was, of course, a Bentley Mulsanne. Thanks for not jumping down my throat, all who giggled at the fox paw.