Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X interior quality step down/Cost reduction. Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am disappointed with all the cost saving on the inside.

The wood trim is cheap looking. It is thinner and cheaper. Made of small strips of oak that were glued together. You can see the straight lines where you expect wood grain.

The alcantara on the dash is gone.

The fake leather on the seats feels cheap.

The fake leather on the steering wheel feels rough on the hands.

The Ultra high fidelity sound is gone.

We had a 2017 that had all these things and felt much more luxurious on the inside. The 2020 feels cheap.

I still have a 2015 S, it feels much nicer on the inside than the 2020 X.

also, the acceleration is not the same, the 2017 100D had great acceleration. THe 2020 long range Raven seems to hesitate a bit when you floor it.

I still like the care because i can't buy another brand but i have say, i don't understand why would anyone do this to such a nice car.

Thanks.

Mine is a 2019 September build.

Audio is Fantastic and I know what a good sound system sounds like. Maybe there is something wrong. Compare it to another 2020.

My last car was all real leather and this doesn’t feel much different.

Wood in almost any car is thin veneer. I can’t see any joints in it. I have the dark wood. I’d check another 2020 to compare.

I think the car needs to be in low suspension. Battery not to cold. Battery not to low. When it was warm it pulled pretty good. Since cold weather it has not pulled as hard.

@mswlogo, I hope you right on everything.

I will double check the audio.

In the 2017, from the moment you played the music you felt like you are sitting next to a band, you heard everything, you were delighted with the sound.

This one, not so much. I bet they stepped down the quality of the synthesizer, i would love to compare part numbers if someone knows.

I will post pictures of the lines within the veneer when I get home in a week. It never felt thin in the 2017 X or even in the 2012 S for that matter.

How is you steering wheel, does it feel like smooth leather.

On the acceleration, again I hope you are right. My fear is that it is due to the hesitation in the pickup that the "permanent magnet" motor which they supposedly installed on the front, suffers from.

Thanks.

Damn, mine didn’t even come with a synthesizer.

ccgu9bprmbageu8e3qqk.jpg

Yeah you can see them taking cost out of the car, BUT to be fair they also took 20k off the price. So it's a trade off.

But for me the biggest issue on the X is the acceleration. I just picked up my 2020 LR and its WEAK vs the 100D before it. If you set to very low suspension, and the battery is HOT. Then you can get close to what the 100D felt like anytime.

I am disappointed with all the cost saving on the inside.

The wood trim is cheap looking. It is thinner and cheaper. Made of small strips of oak that were glued together. You can see the straight lines where you expect wood grain.

The alcantara on the dash is gone.

The fake leather on the seats feels cheap.

The fake leather on the steering wheel feels rough on the hands.

The Ultra high fidelity sound is gone.

We had a 2017 that had all these things and felt much more luxurious on the inside. The 2020 feels cheap.

I still have a 2015 S, it feels much nicer on the inside than the 2020 X.

also, the acceleration is not the same, the 2017 100D had great acceleration. THe 2020 long range Raven seems to hesitate a bit when you floor it.

I still like the care because i can't buy another brand but i have say, i don't understand why would anyone do this to such a nice car.

Thanks.
All of these complaints and you didn't even note how much cheaper the steering wheel airbag cover is? They went from a wrapped cover to a molded one, and they let their supplier go with a really coarse texture to hide defects instead of maintaining the smooth look of the wrapped one, which would have been fully possibly in molding. That was the first thing I noticed the first time I sat in a 2018 loaner, and ironically, I was getting my steering wheel replaced. Thankfully they put my old airbag cover back on the new steering wheel. I'm surprised the leather feels changed from 2017 to 2020, though, it was already all "vegan leather" in 2017. I have 2 regrets on my 2017, and one of them is going with the basic sound system, so I also hope mswlogo is right about the sound in the 2020.

Not withstanding everything but the Model X is about 40k cheaper today than it was even just over a year ago for a less efficient and slower car.

To me the vegan seats feel amazing.
The audio now is better than old premium. I believe they brought in some guys from B&O to design a custom system?
The suspension went from probably worst vehicle in its class to the close to the top. Air Suspension felt like a box on stone wheels. New one feels almost as good as an Audi.
More efficient, faster, early build issues mostly solved... I'm really having trouble concluding much of anything at all was better before.