Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X interior space thoughts, from a Model Y parent of 2 kids

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love minivans. They’re great Ubers and rentals. If I had been caught up in the SWA debacle the first thing I would have done is rent a minivan to go to Florida from STL.

But even the nicest one I’ve been in, a recent Elite trim Odyssey, was loud at the A pillars (even louder than Model X which is saying something!), didn’t ride let alone handle particularly well, slow, and boomy inside over expansion joints. If you can live without the raw cargo capability I don’t know why you’d do that to yourself when things like the V60 exist. Now, compared to any big box SUV, they’re an improvement in everything but ground clearance, but the Model X isn’t a big box SUV, it’s more like they got a little carried away making a wagon version of the S.

As soon as you get to 3-4 kids that math gets a lot more minivan-friendly, but for us with two and a couple of midsize sport utility dogs, X is plenty big. Now if the VW had been available at the time, that might have pulled us away, because I suspect it’s going to handle like a slightly tall ID4.
Yeah I don't think there's truly a premium minivan. The closest I have experienced is the Pacifica in the Pinnacle trim. It was nice for sure, but not luxury either. Problem with that van is, it was just so damn unreliable. 5 trips in 3 months to service to try and fix the same problem related to battery cooling (it was the PHEV version). I do think there's a market for a high end minivan, though it would admittedly be small.

Reactions: Richbot
We have 5 kids, and the 7-seater X works well for us on road trips. Rear facing carseat goes in the middle of the second row so both front seats can move back just a tad further. No LATCH in the middle, but we use the seatbelt to secure the base and the front seats touch the carseat on both sides, making it more secure than being connected via LATCH on either side.

I used to have a minivan a long time ago, and it was fine for what it was, but I don't think I would ever purchase one again. Now if I could purchase an electric suburban or wagoneer, I would be all over it!

Yeah I don't think there's truly a premium minivan. The closest I have experienced is the Pacifica in the Pinnacle trim. It was nice for sure, but not luxury either. Problem with that van is, it was just so damn unreliable. 5 trips in 3 months to service to try and fix the same problem related to battery cooling (it was the PHEV version). I do think there's a market for a high end minivan, though it would admittedly be small.
Rest in pieces, Mercedes R-class

Reactions: shingles
We had an R class prior to a GL, then GLS. My wife liked the 2nd row captain’s chairs with 4 small children. It was easy to get in and out. Not a lot of storage space though.

The GL didn’t offer captain’s chairs back then, the 3rd row kids usually jumped over the middle seat rather than flipping it down. But it had much more room in the cabin once we were all in there.