Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X inventory?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s at least a 10% range hit. Usually more in the 13-15% range. And the 22’s come with summer tires; no bueno here in NJ.

And yes - the 22s are low profile rubber bands - the 20” tire sidewalls are almost 30mm taller. That’s the different between a cracked rim and a hard bounce.

I’m not a fan of the 22s. Go before show, for me.

I appreciate this information, can you provide some reference to support this?

I find 15% range hit, even 10 % due to wheel difference very hard to believe.

Here's why:

The vast majority of resistance to forward motion comes from the cross sectional area presented when looking at the vehicle head on. This area has to 'push' air out of the way and this takes energy. Take away the need to push air out of the way, and we'd be looking at ranges of 2000-4000 miles on flat ground.

This is the very reason that the X has lower range than the S. It has the same width, but greater height. thus the 'area' presented when looking head on is greater. All else is approximately the same, motors, battery etc... 402 range for the S, 351 for the X..... talking LR versions of the 2020's.... the 'range hit' due to the increased vertical dimension of the X ( and probably the greater ground clearance as well). is 402/351 = 15% .

So

- Range difference between Model X and Model S = 15%. ...Yes

- Range difference between Model X with 20" wheels and Model X with 22" wheels = 15% ......?????

so if a complete change in the structure of the vehicle: many additional inches of height and greater ground clearance, result in a 15% range hit, how can you in good faith make the statement that merely changing the wheel geometry would result in a 'range hit' of a similar magnitude?

The wheels themselves only change by 10%, so assuming that the air Ingress / turbulence created around the wheels accounts for 10% of the total air resistance, then this change would have a .10*.10 = 1% range hit.

Ride height would be higher by 1"...so this could be a factor, but again, not a 15% change maker

I also do not think the engineers at Tesla would have approved the use of wheels which decreases the range by 15%.

I can drive with the two front windows down and don't even see a 5% range hit. So ingress of air into the wheels causing turbulence does not make sense to cause such a substantial range hit, to me.

Remember, you have a few things against you with the 22s:

- Stickier tires. Much lower rolling resistance means significant decrease in range. They’re lower profile, meaning less sidewall, meaning more flex, with a sticky compound. Increases friction and downright dangerous here in the Northeast wintertime.
- Much heavier wheels. 8lbs of unsprung weight per wheel is a lot.

Ignoring the aerodynamics for a second, both of the above alone are enough to cause a major decrease in range. It really is on the order of 10-15%. You can search the forum here for plenty of examples of significant wh/mi differences between them.

For me, the range hit as well as the impracticality here in the Northeast (I’d at least need a set of winter tires - likely additional wheelset as well) make the 22s a non-starter.

range hit is real on 22s..

Teslike.com

It’s even worst in winter

holy cow!!! The data does not lie. This really surprised me.

Well I'm feeling pretty good about getting the 20" wheels. Thats really not right for them to not re-rate the car with the 22" wheels to lower.

It also is interesting to see that the difference in range between the 2019 Mar 100D and the 2020 100 D isn't that different

Range that should be advertised:
2019 Mar 100D - 291 mi
2020 LR. (the 325 EPA version). - 298 mi

does the 2017 100D perform the same as at the 2019 Mar 100D theoretically? I guess the same motors?

Michael

Remember, you have a few things against you with the 22s:

- Stickier tires. Much lower rolling resistance means significant decrease in range. They’re lower profile, meaning less sidewall, meaning more flex, with a sticky compound. Increases friction and downright dangerous here in the Northeast wintertime.
- Much heavier wheels. 8lbs of unsprung weight per wheel is a lot.

Ignoring the aerodynamics for a second, both of the above alone are enough to cause a major decrease in range. It really is on the order of 10-15%. You can search the forum here for plenty of examples of significant wh/mi differences between them.

For me, the range hit as well as the impracticality here in the Northeast (I’d at least need a set of winter tires - likely additional wheelset as well) make the 22s a non-starter.

interesting....I didn't think about the tire weight, that takes a lot to spin up that inertia.... and also the higher rolling resistance b/c the tires are deforming more..... wow

p.s. Dmurphy , I sent you a PM. (or conversation or whatever its called

Michael

Anymore great deals like this with a 6 seater? I am looking to get one. Anyone with inside sales info please help and post or PM any 6 seater deals.

Thanks!!

Go to ev- cpo.com. set theparameters as you like. It shows you all the cars Tesla has for sale. That's usually the best deal. There is a site something like used Tesla's only that is private party sales. Sometimes there's a good deal on there.

There are no great deals anywhere, I search many times daily. Until battery day hits prices are going to stay high. If battery day is a flop, which it might be then prices will go down. End of the quarter deals are not happening this quarter.

There are no great deals anywhere, I search many times daily. Until battery day hits prices are going to stay high. If battery day is a flop, which it might be then prices will go down. End of the quarter deals are not happening this quarter.
I'm still holding out for end of quarter incentives. I don't care about pricing, because I'm looking at new LR+ inventory. But looking at the history, the free Supercharging incentive appears to be introduced in the last week of the quarter for delivery within that week. Last quarter it was announced on June 22nd. So my current thought is to wait until battery day, see what we see, and hope that there is copious inventory at that point to choose from.

Long shot, maybe...

Reactions: HyperionMark
I'm still holding out for end of quarter incentives. I don't care about pricing, because I'm looking at new LR+ inventory. But looking at the history, the free Supercharging incentive appears to be introduced in the last week of the quarter for delivery within that week. Last quarter it was announced on June 22nd. So my current thought is to wait until battery day, see what we see, and hope that there is copious inventory at that point to choose from.

Long shot, maybe...

Ditto.....the second battery day is over I am going to either order new or buy used. Hopefully they will bring back FS but what i am hearing that will not happen but who knows!

Ok..dork question. I've got an 18 S and looking to trade it on a 20 X. Trying to consolidate vehicles because I have a small SUV also and figured this would get me down to 1. I have unlimited supercharging now and will lose that but not a huge deal. There is an instock with 900 miles they are offering not quite 4K discount on so pondering that. So fill me in...what happens on Battery Day that is worth waiting for??

Ok..dork question. I've got an 18 S and looking to trade it on a 20 X. Trying to consolidate vehicles because I have a small SUV also and figured this would get me down to 1. I have unlimited supercharging now and will lose that but not a huge deal. There is an instock with 900 miles they are offering not quite 4K discount on so pondering that. So fill me in...what happens on Battery Day that is worth waiting for??
Only Tesla eng knows, my guess:
- Plaid (tri motor) S and X reveal and start reservations
- 1 M battery coming in 6 months with specs
- roadster and truck battery specs

No design change or immediate battery change for S and X is my bet

So with a possible X, no real reason to wait to order it sounds like. Although the 1M battery sounds tempting!

That's all just speculation - batteries, motors, all of it ... I doubt you'd see a new battery that soon.

One thing is for sure - no matter WHAT they announce - we're going to hear plenty of people disappointed that it wasn't more.

So my $0.02: I'd order now. Absolutely no reason not to - even if they announce some crazy-awesome future thing, you'd be able to change your order.

So get a jump start, get the order booked and let's see what happens on the 22nd!

Musk announced Plaid for S last year for this fall. Isn't that Osborning too? Plus they would just pull the demand levers for current S/X (free supercharging, free premium connectivity for life, etc...)
I think it's only going to be Osborning if the price is intended to be similar. With Plaid, we're all expecting a significant premium over the existing price, so it doesn't compete head to head with the current product line. If a significantly improved battery is in the works, and we can expect it to cost the same amount, I think it would indeed successfully cannibalize current sales, even with the demand levers in place. But the emphasis here is on significantly improved.

That said, bring on the levers!!