Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X inventory?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

ive been searching for a new model x last two weeks. I was trying to avoid custom ordering the car given the 8-12 week wait it estimated. The existing inventory nationally has seemed very limited however. For example, using ev-CPO nearly every car being sold doesn’t even have full self-driving as an option even, just autopilot. Is this just the end of the quarter thing? Is there any predictable cycle of when new cars get added to the existing inventory to purchase? I’m basically looking for a tan interior, 6-seater, full self driving..not any crazy options I would think but still can’t identify one anywhere. Thanks

Reactions: dmurphy
Hi,

ive been searching for a new model x last two weeks. I was trying to avoid custom ordering the car given the 8-12 week wait it estimated. The existing inventory nationally has seemed very limited however. For example, using ev-CPO nearly every car being sold doesn’t even have full self-driving as an option even, just autopilot. Is this just the end of the quarter thing? Is there any predictable cycle of when new cars get added to the existing inventory to purchase? I’m basically looking for a tan interior, 6-seater, full self driving..not any crazy options I would think but still can’t identify one anywhere. Thanks

FSD can be added to any inventory car you wish - after placing the order, you just click a button and that's it. Very simple - so no need to filter cars based on that.

Now - 6-seaters are pretty impossible to find right now. Usually, the first 6 weeks of a quarter or so (from now till, say, mid-August) - Tesla builds cars for their overseas customers, swinging back to US customers for the latter half of each quarter. That's why there's an 8-12 week leadtime on custom orders.

So there's likely to be very little in inventory for a while. Some may pop up here and there if deliveries are cancelled/rescheduled/etc - but for now, a custom order may be your best bet. If, between now and delivery, you find something in inventory that matches your need - you can call Tesla and request your "custom" order to be matched to it.

Unlike "traditional" manufacturers, Tesla doesn't really make a custom vehicle based on your needs. They run batches of each style, and when you have a custom order, you just get matched to one of them as they come off the line.

Hi,

Make sure that the car has Hardware 3.0 (Full-Self Driving Capability). If so, you can add full self driving on the website account or on the mobile app.

Also, with tan interior, you won’t get a car that is very recent. Tan interior is discontinued, replaced by cream interior, a lighter vegan leather with oak wood instead of the figured ash wood.

In my opinion, if cost isn’t an issue, I would order a new one. Inventory is low now and probably will be for a few months as production is slowed by the pandemic. I’m currently waiting on a LR+ X myself.

Make sure that the car has Hardware 3.0 (Full-Self Driving Capability). If so, you can add full self driving on the website account or on the mobile app.

Actually anything with autopilot 2.0 hardware or up can be upgraded to full self-driving. And of course you can buy one that already has it. Then Tesla will, eventually, upgrade you to hardware 3.0. there are some differences but they're not supposed to affect the ability to get full self-driving in the future.

I, too, would agree that if you have money, wait for the good one! (And it's not that much difference right now.) As many have said, Tesla makes constant improvements. The car that comes off the line today is probably better than the one that came off the line just a week ago. It's the way Tesla works. You love it, and you hate it![/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat but I have decided to wait till the 4th quarter to order in hopes Telsa throw in the free supercharging again (wishful thinking?).

Inventory of MX in New England is wapping 1 car most of the days. Nothing in Boston, occasionally there were 3 at NYC then they are all gone in a day or two.

The price of the new MX (not used) does not fluctuate like other car brands. Telsa can drop another $5k and I will buy it immediately.

In the meantime, since the wife and I drive a lot less (working from home), we seem to be Ok with just an MS for now. So I wait.

I will not be bothered by FSD. We had it on MS and are not going to buy it on MX.

That's not a good deal, not if major battery news comes out in a month.
If anyone looking for a 5 seater this one is a sweet deal - 2020 Model X | Tesla

That X was returned under the 7 day policy, I'd stay clear. And it's not actually a good deal anyway. Once you add up the shipping charge, taxes and tile and $1200 delivery fee......its not a good deal.

Wait for new.

Last edited:
A question about Waiting for battery day, If something did change, wouldn’t it take another 3-4 months before any cars make it out as demos with discounts?

Maybe, but like with most of the big new stuff Tesla tends to be already rolling it out when they make the announcement. And who knows Tesla might not announce anything that cool. It's always a crap shoot but I have been screwed too many times by "what if's" so I am waiting.

• Informative
Reactions: tierneyalvin
Range hit? On a LR+, what's the actual range hit on 22's vs 20's? I know it's impacted a lot on a performance model but I don't think there's a huge difference on a LR+ model. Also, are bent rims really THAT common on a model X with 22's?

It’s at least a 10% range hit. Usually more in the 13-15% range. And the 22’s come with summer tires; no bueno here in NJ.

And yes - the 22s are low profile rubber bands - the 20” tire sidewalls are almost 30mm taller. That’s the different between a cracked rim and a hard bounce.

I’m not a fan of the 22s. Go before show, for me.

The road in new England is horrible. Pothole everywhere during and after winter, even on the highway. The low profile tire is a magnet for bent wheels.

Hit a pothole with low profile tire, say in 30 miles per hour speed. Let me know how it goes. lol