TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X is a hummingbird

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by Gwgan, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

I found myself fourth in a line of cars heading up a curving hill with a temporary passing lane. The first car had been steadily driving below the speed limit for a while. The second car, a Mustang, had been holding back a couple of car lengths and letting the lead car set the pace. A Toyota SUV was third in line and chomping at the bit, flashing brake lights frequently as it rode close to the Mustang's bumper. Once in the passing zone the slow lead car stayed in the left lane (!), the second and third cars moved to the right but in a surprising move the Mustang did not run ahead (?). Model X swiftly accelerated passed the frustrated Toyota and the uninspired Mustang, then deftly deployed regen to hover like a hummingbird behind the lead car while making sure the way was clear in front of the Mustang before darting around to lead the pack just in time for the end of the passing lane. I never expected a car this heavy could be so nimble. What fun!

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  2. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Hills are definitely one place Teslas shine. None of that downshifting and whining out. Just smooth acceleration straight up the hill.

• Like x 4
  3. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

My biggest fear is that these pokers are not looking in their rear view mirror and will just move over right in front of you as you pass. Had that happen just last week.:eek:

In the winter I drive these sorts of roads all the time. I am totally frustrated by the people who poke along at 45 mph on 55 mph roads with some curves, even though the road is clear and dry. They have dozens of cars behind them as you point out above. Then when they get to the passing lane area they speed up to 65 mph so no one can pass them. Then once the passing lane ends they are back to cruising at 45 mph again. :mad:

Sorry. Just had to vent now that ski season is over and I will not have to experience this again multiple times a week until November.

4. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

No no one anymore ;-)

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Amen. My wife has been driving my S for the last couple weeks and I've been back in my R8. While it's got power on tap, it's just not the same as the smooth passing in a Tesla

6. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

Enjoying the nimble ability already. No more guessing about end of passing lanes or even lane changes after stop lights. Safely and legally keeping out of congestion and jerks is really a pleasure.

• Like x 2