Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X is already 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vitold

Aug 10, 2015
NM
This was mentioned in another thread by I think it deserves it's own thread. It's marketplace.org interview with EM from October 8, talking about Tesla in general but it also offers reveling details about engineering that went into Model X, specifically the Falcon Wing Doors (starts @12:30min).

I think people who are waiting, after listening to the interview, will appreciate that Model X is, in a way, version 2.0. I think it exemplifies that Tesla is looking to do it right the first time. Of course, we still have a right to be upset about PR.

http://www.marketplace.org/node/153978/player/storyplayer

[url]http://www.marketplace.org/topics/business/corner-office-marketplace/tesla-ceo-elon-musk-future-runs-batteries

[/URL]

I suspect you mean version 2 versus gen 2. It is a gen 2 car (gen 1 -roadster, gen 2 MS/MX, gen 3 - M3).

My rule of thumb is to never buy anything that is not on Version 3. (Windows 3, iPhone 3, ...). It usually takes three versions of something to get beyond the 'beta' stage. First version has lots of features left out or unforeseen problems. Second version fixes most of those issues but introduces a new set of problems with features that could not quite make it to version 1. By the time the third version arrives the product is pretty stable and unless a major change or feature comes about, everything at that point can be resolved by small fixes.

With my high reservation number I suspect Version 3 will happen before my number comes up.

Yeah, I probably should have said the FWD are v2.0 not the whole car. However, I suspect, that other components have been redesigned several times as well, such as the second row seats.

Yeah, I probably should have said the FWD are v2.0 not the whole car. However, I suspect, that other components have been redesigned several times as well, such as the second row seats.

My usual internal monologue reading this forum recently. "I probably should have said that the front wheel drive was 2.0." Wait, was the Model X ever front wheel front wheel drive? What is he talking about? This post doesn't make any sense. No ****, I think he's talking about the doors, but is using a stupid acronym for them.

Thank you Vitold for posting the link to the Market Place interview with EM. Very interesting. Among other things, Elon clarifies the thinking behind the function of the Model X second row seats and falcon wing doors. My admiration for him seems to increase each time I hear him speak. It was an interview he had with Charlie Rose several years ago that first got me interested in Tesla, initially as an investor and now as a Model X reservation holder.

Indeed, please kill this "FWD = Falcon Wing Doors" acronym in its infancy. FWD is taken, find another one.

lol- like superchargers?
FWD FWD FWD

(I'd rather do FD but I like the cognitive dissonance snap I get when I need to correct myself to think "forward wheel drive" when in other sites-
is FWD , like compressing superchargers , part of old ICE vernacular that may be fun to appropriate?)