Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X is draining 9% a day when stored in a covered garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My brand new refreshed Model X is draining 9% a day when stored in a covered garage. According to the Owner's Manual, it must be around 1%. Does this mean that the battery pack has a charge leakage? How urgent is it to replace it? Is it safe to store the car in a garage?

Does it really consume so much? This is not mentioned in the Owner's Manual! I've just turned it off, and it drained another 1% within an hour. Though I should wait till it reached 2% to be sure about the persistent drainage.

Does this mean that the battery pack has a charge leakage?
99.99999999% no it doesnt mean anything like that
How urgent is it to replace it? Is it safe to store the car in a garage?
99.99999999999% nothing needs to be replaced.

Looks like a couple of people already beat me to the punch, but Sentry mode (which doesnt let the car sleep) will absolutely do that, as well as "standby summon" if you have FSD, or, alternatively, if you downloaded a bunch of apps that poll the car and did not set them up properly they can also do that.

What isnt happening, though, is " a large leakage" or "a battery that needs to be replaced".

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Does it really consume so much? This is not mentioned in the Owner's Manual! I've just turned it off, and it drained another 1% within an hour. Though I should wait till it reached 2% to be sure about the persistent drainage.

Yes, it does, and, every time you open the tesla app with the car selected, you are preventing it from sleeping (or waking it back up) contributing to the continued drain. So, you turned off sentry mode (which means you just confirmed it was on, so my 99.999999999% goes to 100% that there is no hardware issue), and you also likely "kept checking it" to see if it was still draining. It was, because you were not letting it go to sleep.

Turn off sentry and standby summon, and do not check the car for at least a few hours. If you need to go places, do this when you are done for the evening, and check it once before you go to bed and again when you get up in the morning. You should find normal 1% ish or less drain provided you didnt check it, dont have sentry mode on, dont have standby summon on, and did not sign up for stats / teslafi/ teslawatch or any third party apps and not configure them properly.

Sentry mode can drain a couple of percentage points for me in an 8-hour workday. I leave it off at work since camera coverage for the building gets my car.

Also, new owners will tend to open their Tesla app much more often just to check on the car or navigate around the app. This will wake the car up each time, your itch to open the app will definitely decrease the longer you have your car though 😁

//edit - looks like jjrandorin beat me to it about the app usage!

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
In California, a car parked at home is most likely to be broken-in. Can't turn it off at home.
Thats some fear mongering right there.... Park in your garage, or live with the drain, as you will be putting all those "additional miles" on your battery without going anywhere. Energy is energy, so if you run sentry mode 24 / 7, your battery will be driving those miles even if the car isnt.

No idea how much on an X but on a model 3 I can tell you it works out to around 9000 miles a year for 24 /7 sentry mode usage.

What's your actual charge drainage with and without Sentry on?

In a model 3, the difference is 1-3 miles a day (per 24 hours) sitting, vs with sentry mode 20-30 miles a day. This is the model X subforum so I dont know the numbers for this car off hand, but will tell you it will be similar percentage wise (yes its that much, yes its that different, )

In California, a car parked at home is most likely to be broken-in. Can't turn it off at home.
If you have a garage, park it inside. And are you telling me you always kept cameras on your previous vehicles in the same location? Home is where you can literally aim cameras at your car if it's parked outside, and thus do not need Sentry Mode to watch it.
What's your actual charge drainage with and without Sentry on?
On the Model 3, Sentry on is probably around 8-10% a day. Sentry off is closer to 1% a day. I always keep Sentry off at home and at work. Sentry is generally good for parking in public parking lots. Sentry keeps all of the computers active (300-400W) and never allows the vehicle to get an open circuit voltage and thus, never allows it to calibrate its range meter. It should not be left on all the time.

Usually, it will bounce around between -3% and +1% of my charge set point.

Reactions: mr-dmitry
If you have a garage, park it inside.

On the Model 3, Sentry on is probably around 8-10% a day. Sentry off is closer to 1% a day. I always keep Sentry off at home and at work. Sentry is generally good for parking in public parking lots.

Usually, it will bounce around between -3% and +1% of my charge set point.

This OP stated they already park in a covered garage, which is why I said what I said. cars are statistically more likely to be broken in at home "anywhere" because they tend to spend more time there, and thats where they are at night. Has nothing to do with "california" and if you park in a covered garage like was said, those are not the people being targeted, in general.

Of course, I dont know where this OP lives, or this OPs circumstances, just that they park in a garage per what they said.

This OP stated they already park in a covered garage, which is why I said what I said. cars are statistically more likely to be broken in at home "anywhere" because they tend to spend more time there, and thats where they are at night. Has nothing to do with "california" and if you park in a covered garage like was said, those are not the people being targeted, in general.

Of course, I dont know where this OP lives, or this OPs circumstances, just that they park in a garage per what they said.
It's a large 5-level garage :)

It's a large 5-level garage :)

Ok, that makes more sense. Basically like parking outside. I understand why you want to use sentry mode, but it really does waste a lot of energy. The seat heater thing is definitely new for me , but you also need to stop checking in the app on the car, as each time you do that, its the equivalent of "shaking someone awake".

The car will only slow down on the drain when it goes to deep sleep, which takes between 10 minutes and an hour, depending on what the car thinks it needs to do upload data, etc).

If you bought this car thinking you’re going to leave Sentry on 24/7, including at home, without the car being plugged in, you are going to be very disappointed. As you’ve quickly discovered, it’s a massive waste of energy. Refresh S/X are even worse, powering that fancy AMD Ryzen MCU…

If you bought this car thinking you’re going to leave Sentry on 24/7, including at home, without the car being plugged in, you are going to be very disappointed. As you’ve quickly discovered, it’s a massive waste of energy. Refresh S/X are even worse, powering that fancy AMD Ryzen MCU…
Here is what Sentry power draw looks like on my car, when I was using it and could actually measure it (using Chargepoint in airport parking garage). The EVSE is using shared power, so the output fluctuates, but we can see 3 different charging schemes:

1. First 11 hours: Arrived with an almost empty battery (around 6-8% SoC) and charged to the 60% set point
2. Between 11 hours and 51 hours: Maintaining charge level at 60% set point; Sentry Mode was on and as the vehicle's battery went below 60%, the car activated the OBC to charge it back up to that level
3. 51 hours to 63 hours: Bumped charge level up to 100% the morning before boarding my return flight; vehicle reached 100% at 63 hours, about 5 minutes before I got back to the garage and drove off (I calculated when I expected it to hit 100% and tried to get it close but didn't expect it would be timed that well...lol)

ChargePoint SFO.jpg

Now you can't actually see it on this image, but by clicking on certain regions of the photo, I can get the time and total accumulated energy up until that point. At 11 hours, when the power level first fell to zero, the accumulated energy was 46.17 kWh. At 51 hours, just before I bumped the charge level up, the accumulated energy was 54.21 kWh. From this, we can see that the vehicle used 8.04 kWh to maintain the battery charge level at 60% in 40 hours (may be a slight underestimate; battery fluctuates between 57% and 61% in a sort of hysteresis cycle). This was an average power draw of .201 kWh/hour or 201W. On the Model 3, it is roughly the equivalent of driving 18-20 miles a day. Cost of doing this? Well, at the airport, charging was free, but over the long run, 4.824 kWh multiplied by whatever you're paying per kWh, per day. If you do it 24/7/365, that's like putting 7000 "miles" on your battery (over 1700 kWh per year) just for standing still. And if you assume you pay 25¢/kWh off-peak, about average for California, that's $440.19 a year. It's also a lot of extra wear and tear on the battery and expense to run Sentry Mode all of the time, plus it prevents the car from properly calibrating its gauge. I'll use it when I'm parked at shopping centers and on the side of the street running errands but never at work or at home.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and ucmndd