Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X is in the Christmas spirit, at least with the warning lights on my dash.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys,

My dash is lit up like a christmas tree...

yeah, I'm having more issues with my X.

Yesterday I turned on my climate controls and it was on for over an hour before I remembered I left it on. I have no idea if that's the reason this started but I thought I'd throw it out there.

After I got into my car I started driving. Shortly after I received a "car may not restart" notification. No big deal, I've seen that before and nothing came of it. I continued on.
Then I got an additional "power reduced" notification. No big deal, car still drove fine and I wanted to finish my errand.
Then I got an "acceleration reduced" warning with yellow dashes on the high and low side of my watt display in the dash. Car still would go into gear and drove.

I then arrived at a supercharger to top off to drive home and before I could even plug in the car shut down. Car wouldnt go into gear. I reset the car using the steering wheel buttons and the power down option in the MCU. Neither worked. So I then walked to Harbor Freight in the pouring rain to buy a wrench to disconnect the 12v battery hoping that would work. After the mile walk there and back the 12v battery was dead. It was maybe 12-20 minutes.

People online said it was probably my 12v battery. My car is only 4 months old. Its a 2019 Raven X long range. It shouldn't need a battery already. But my wife came down and we jumped it. Car turned on but same warning messages.

Tesla's only solution was to tow it to a service center 5 hours away. It was 7pm and I was drenched. I didnt want to deal with that. So we used AAA and its now sitting in my driveway.

Ive been charging the 12v battery all night and day. Ive tried 3 different chargers. It finally got up to 12.6v right now at 7pm the following day.

The contactors in the HV battery wont close. Could be anything but Im wondering if its the HV fuse. The DC2DC isnt getting the power from the HV battery to recharge the 12v battery. I am going out in an hour to see how much the 12v battery has dropped. If at all.

Tesla service has been a F'ing nightmare since I bought this car. I've had numerous issues that arent that major, but service has dragged on and on.

So, idk. I am pretty tired of this. Sorry for venting. Open to ideas.

Oh and no, the car will not take a charge. Level 1, 2 or SC, none work.
I have not yet received the latest update. When I called tesla today she said that it was being "held". They might not send the update to a car that has warning lights. I was hoping she could remotely reboot the car but she was not able to. She said a technician could. But the only thing she could do was order a truck and ship it 5 hours away to a SC.

I just went out exactly 1 hour later and the 12v battery had dropped to 11.22v. A full volt in only one hour! I put my battery charger back on it to hopefully keep the car online in case the update comes through.

HAHA! I just checked my Tesla app and the update is currently being downloaded!

Attachments

• 20191230_184559923_iOS.jpg
    20191230_184559923_iOS.jpg
    672.2 KB · Views: 97
Did you try replacing 12v and just seeing if it was fixed? That way you can rule out it being a battery or some kinda system vampire.
Not yet. This is all just happening. Everything failed last night and today I ran in and out trying to test different things while also watching my 2 year old.

Ive charged the battery. The car is powered up but it wont drive. My car downloaded the update but its been sitting at 100% for 2 hours. The car wont install it.

I am borrowing the Tesla socket needed to get access to the fuse tomorrow. If its not that then I dont know what to check next.

Not yet. This is all just happening. Everything failed last night and today I ran in and out trying to test different things while also watching my 2 year old.

Ive charged the battery. The car is powered up but it wont drive. My car downloaded the update but its been sitting at 100% for 2 hours. The car wont install it.

I am borrowing the Tesla socket needed to get access to the fuse tomorrow. If its not that then I dont know what to check next.
Try buying a 12v battery and just see after you check fuse. Most places will let you return them within a few days if it turns out you don't need it.

Try buying a 12v battery and just see after you check fuse. Most places will let you return them within a few days if it turns out you don't need it.
Usually batteries are nonrefundable. I saw one on Amazon for $400 but either way, I am not going to do that. I have a warranty and I have tried to charge the battery. I am not convinced its the battery. Its something else. I received no warning about the battery and the car is only 4 months old. I appreciate your input but I doubt its the battery.

Is it possible to pull the battery and take it to the local Auto parts store ? Most of them can do a load test on it.

Might have been bad right from the start.

I have no knowledge at all on Tesla, but newer ICE vehicles have a really hard time with electronics using a battery that's even remotely close to going bad.

Have a Raven X. 12v died w/34 miles on it. Mobile came with new battery, it sucked it dry. Confirmed HV contactors failed. 3 different tow trucks couldn’t get it out. Stuck in driveway for a week. Then at service center for 3 weeks getting contactors replaced. Good luck.

So much for the hope Tesla is learning how to build more reliable cars :(.

I hear ya. I've had mine almost 2 weeks now, airbag warning light stayed on in the 1st week, took it into SC and they did the fix in about 15 mins (woohoo!) they also moved my SC appointment up for wind noise to the 6th plus made it remote service. They can see the problem and will be able to fix so that's got me happy. Now yesterday I tried to use the windshield wiper fluid and .... nothing... no liquid. Figured meh maybe they didn't fill it, so stopped at a station and picked some up, half bottle later (seems like it should take it all), I hit the wipers and yet again nothing. So going to go back in tomorrow to see if they can quickly fix it, i'm scared that they put water in the system and with our freezing weather it has frozen. :\ Which would explain the half gallon of fluid but still, NO ONE puts water in their system here in Colorado, maybe Palo Alto but not here.

• Helpful
Reactions: RealDeal
I hear ya. I've had mine almost 2 weeks now, airbag warning light stayed on in the 1st week, took it into SC and they did the fix in about 15 mins (woohoo!) they also moved my SC appointment up for wind noise to the 6th plus made it remote service. They can see the problem and will be able to fix so that's got me happy. Now yesterday I tried to use the windshield wiper fluid and .... nothing... no liquid. Figured meh maybe they didn't fill it, so stopped at a station and picked some up, half bottle later (seems like it should take it all), I hit the wipers and yet again nothing. So going to go back in tomorrow to see if they can quickly fix it, i'm scared that they put water in the system and with our freezing weather it has frozen. :\ Which would explain the half gallon of fluid but still, NO ONE puts water in their system here in Colorado, maybe Palo Alto but not here.

I'm also in Colorado and I also picked mine up about 2 weeks ago and I also have the airbag warning light that stays on. But if someone sits in the front seat it goes off...at least until the seat is empty again, then it comes back on. How did you get the SC to fix it in 15 minutes? Did you just stop by?

My washer fluid worked ok but I've already ran out of fluid. I refilled it yesterday and it took an entire jug. I'm guessing they only filled mine halfway or so, but mine did work.

We leased our MX Feb, 2017 and have one payment left on it. We plan to order a new one and buy it this time. FYI we had the same thing happen, same warning messages as Jimbo and wife was able to by-pass the warnings by putting foot on brake and doing a reset with steering wheel buttons. She drove it to service center as we were told to bring it in. Lucky for us, we only live about 10 miles away. Here is what they did:
Customer states "Car would not start Nov 15, called support & after several tries got car started. Nov 16 the following messages showed up. 1. Acceleration reduces, contact Tesla Service when convenient. 2. Car needs service. Car may not start" Please check and advise.

-Checked and verified. -Found battery coolant heater to be the cause of the isolation issue. -Verified proper operation after repair.
Correction: General Diagnosis
Correction: Coolant Heater - Electric - Battery (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part

Label, TAMPER EVIDENT (6001487) Quantity 1
MDL X, THERM SYS, ELEC BATT HEATER (1048941-00-D) Quantity 1
BOLT PF 4x9 PC88 ECOFIX SEAL (1039097-00-A) Quantity 1

Correction: HV Battery Assembly (Remove & Install)
Correction: HV Harness - FJB To Front Drive Unit (Remove & Replace)

Correction: Courtesy Inspection

NOTE: We picked up our MX after two days but after driving it home we realized someone ( a technician) forgot to reinstall the cubby drawer housing, behind it is the diagnosis plug, I found out. It was easy to snap back into place. We live in Vegas.

HV battery assembly? Is that the HV battery pack? Did they have to replace it or just remove it and reinstall it? You also needed a HV harness? Is that the main power cable from the battery to the charger? Seems crazy but it sounds similar to what I am dealing with

I just bought a new battery charger. The two older ones I own werent going to a high enough voltage. They would get to 12.6 and stop. As soon as I disconnect any of them the battery starts to drop in voltage fast. Charging is also taking forever. Something is using a lot of power.

Ironically I had almost the same exact problem with my 2012 Toyota Rav4 EV (its built by Tesla and uses Tesla parts).
The car wold not charge on 110 but did on 240. But the bigger problem was that the battery would die overnight but only if it was cold out, like below 40F. (so 6 months out of the year in NY) The only way to solve this problem was to put it on a 12v battery tender and plug the car in every night. It ended up being the Tesla Thermal Control Unit. Other than that my Rav4 EVs have been great. I have had more issues with this damn X than anything else.

Another update, the newest software has arrived but the car will not install it. I assume the car wont install it because there are error codes. I wish it would, maybe being reset would fix the problem.

Just today I jacked the car up to see if it was the HV fuse under the battery. It wasnt. The fuse is fine. I even put a new one in to test. It didnt solve it.

Still havent heard from tesla and we are close to 24 hours with a dead car.

Look carefully at receipt, It says Parts Replaced or Added:
Then it says HV Battery Assembly (Remove and install) not remove and replace. It is the High Voltage Harness, Yes.
Sorry, I did not ask questions. It works fine now, but we have had to do a reset twice since the Nov repairs. Glad you get a four year warranty.

I'm also in Colorado and I also picked mine up about 2 weeks ago and I also have the airbag warning light that stays on. But if someone sits in the front seat it goes off...at least until the seat is empty again, then it comes back on. How did you get the SC to fix it in 15 minutes? Did you just stop by?

My washer fluid worked ok but I've already ran out of fluid. I refilled it yesterday and it took an entire jug. I'm guessing they only filled mine halfway or so, but mine did work.
I'm an idiot, didn't know the washer fluid button is a two stage button, was only doing the wiper stage and not fully pressing in the button to get fluid.

Id10t pebwac error

Jimbo, my wife and I watched your videos and we can see why you are frustrated. Nobody likes to get a new vehicle with multiple problems. Most of your problems, in the scheme of things, are minor. Unfortunately, for you, you live far away (4 hours each way) from service center. We wonder why you dont keep your cars in the garage. I am not being critical, but even in Vegas we garage our cars. Cars are valuable assets and many of us keep junk (less valuable) items in the garage and stick our $80k car in the driveway. Another good reason to keep your vehicles garaged is security, no one can tell if you are home or not. We think that would make a huge difference with the problems you are having with weather and we also charge our MX inside the garage, never outside.

I would also suggest an appointment with the SC in Albany and you go there in person and get your problem areas fixed. Make sure they have parts on hand BEFORE you go. We still have problems with the driver seat settings. I am constantly having to re-set my settings. That seal on your Falcon Doors and the door alignment I would get done for sure. Keep making noise, a squeeky wheel gets the oil. You deserve better.

Another thing I do is go on this forum and type in my problem and many times you can get answers and excellent suggestions from other owners. I know how it feels to love the car and then have so many problems you would hate to recommend it to a friend. We are about to order our 3rd Tesla and your problems make me skeptical of the quality when they are rushing to get these cars out the door. Good luck.

Say, you get a four year warranty with the car. No need to purchase additional warranty, 8 years on battery.