Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X !! Is it a good choice???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As per Tesla, I am due to receive my Model X, sometimes next month..!!..?? Don't know, for sure. Every day, I read this forum and the forum on tesla.com and daily, I am getting bit worried about the quality of the car. Everyday, I seems to find threads complaining about the car and it's reliability. Prior owners are the one who sheds some lights on it, if they have any answer. Thanks you guys for that, but I have not seen any reply from Tesla motors itself. Do they really read this forum, if any? Should not they be worried for the bad reputation every negative thread generates? Should not they answer each of our concerns in timely manner? Is there any other way, any other forum by Tesla Motor itself, where they answer such worried questions? And Last, should I continue to hope that my Model X vin XX8041 will be trouble free? Will I get a car worth $109,000???

My 57xx, took delivery mid-May was almost perfect just some minor seal issues and a rattle noise in the trunk. Will take it in for service tomorrow, and hopefully they will resolve it.

I can't think of another SUV I would rather have instead of the X and with a VIN in the 8xxx I am sure you will be fine.

I am just disappointed that I just missed the cut off for the active spoiler and I want a sunshade

Last edited:
I year ya. Were I ready to buy an X today (and I'm itching to get one), I think my finger would hover with a bit of uncertainly before I pushed the Buy button. That said, I really think one gets a skewed perspective by estimating the quality of any vehicle on an enthusiasts' forum. The number people who get a car then drive away and enjoy life without bothering to post about it seem to outnumber those who complain online.

In my three year history with Tesla I've come to truly believe that they care deeply, not just about their own success, but about doing the right thing. No matter my apprehension about buying any specific vehicle from them, I have no concerns whatsoever that Tesla's culture is one that diligently pursues customer satisfaction.

I year ya. Were I ready to buy an X today (and I'm itching to get one), I think my finger would hover with a bit of uncertainly before I pushed the Buy button. That said, I really think one gets a skewed perspective by estimating the quality of any vehicle on an enthusiasts' forum. The number people who get a car then drive away and enjoy life without bothering to post about it seem to outnumber those who complain online.

In my three year history with Tesla I've come to truly believe that they care deeply, not just about their own success, but about doing the right thing. No matter my apprehension about buying any specific vehicle from them, I have no concerns whatsoever that Tesla's culture is one that diligently pursues customer satisfaction.

If you are gonna order, feel free to use the randomizer at teslareferral.tk

My 57xx, took delivery mid-May was almost perfect just some minor seal issues and a rattle noise in the trunk. Will take it in for service tomorrow, and hopefully they will resolve it.

I can't think of another SUV I would rather have instead of the X and with a VIN in the 8xxx I am sure you will be fine.

I am just disappointed that I just mist the cut off for the active spoiler and I want a sunshade
Thanks K-MTG. It eases my stress a bit.

I echo comments from @Rockster however it doesn't seem like that the Model X is completely out of the woods yet as far as the doors are concerned. Seems like you have already placed the order since you are expecting delivery next month. In that case be prepared mentally for some issues mostly fit'n'finish but could be door related as well. Nothing that cannot be fixed in a couple of trips to SC.
Overall, the car is structurally solid, performs better than any other SUV on the roads and is a joy to drive.

As to your other questions, no doubt that Tesla does monitor the threads. However they do not participate or respond to them. As @Rockster said, they do care for their reputation as well as more about doing the right thing. I am yet to come across a Tesla employee who would care less for any issue I reported to them. Every issue I have reported on both model S and X has been addressed by TM.
As for car worth it's money, although it's a matter of personal opinion but yes it's a car you would want to kiss every night before you go to sleep ;)

Last edited:

Thanks you Rockster. Knowing about Tesla's after delivery care did reduce my tension a little. I also agree with you that there are more negative threads than positive ones. I own a hotel and deal with complainers on TripAdvisor all the time. There are few who are really happy and post any reviews. If everyone post their reviews, then the true quality of product reflects. Thanks for your input.

I echo comments from @Rockster however it doesn't seem like that the Model X is completely out of the woods yet as far as the doors are concerned. Seems like you have already placed the order since you are expecting delivery next month. In that case be prepared mentally for some issues mostly fit'n'finish but could be door related as well. Nothing that cannot be fixed in a couple of trips to SC.
Overall, the car is structurally solid, performs better than any other SUV on the roads and is a joy to drive.
Thanks a lot..

Consumer Reports will be buying one this Summer for a full test. This should be a good unbiased test of a current production model.
We should see whether they have addressed these problems. With their engineering team moving on to the Model 3, I have my doubts that the front doors and FWD doors can be fixed. This will prove to be much more than a software issue. If CR has a reasonable experience, I will now be leasing, not buying. Way too much complexity to be saddled with the costs after warranty.

I've had my X for 4 months now. Never had a problem with the doors, the windows, or the seats. It's been back to the Service center 3 times. First time because the windshield wiper wasn't working right (fixed in less than a minute), for the 3rd row recall (third row had never been a problem but they replaced it, and also replaced the front quarter panel window seals even though I had no problem with those either), then it was just in because the charge port door kept reporting as open when it was closed. They said the open mechanism was cracked and they replaced that. The past two times they drove a loaner out to me (I'm about 1.5 hours away from the nearest Service Center). The first time I showed up for my service appointment only to find out that it had been made at a different Service Center, but Springfield went out of their way to not only fix my minor problem, but to spend 2 hours going over my X to make sure everything was ok. I've read the horror stories as well but I've never seen anything like that. Not with my X, not with Tesla service.

I was just in Germany for a week and had a decent Opel 4 door sedan, but everytime I drove it I missed my Model X. It was just a car, not my Tesla. If you hate attention then don't buy an X. Random people will come up to you and ask questions and ask to take a picture of your X. Open the Falcon Wing doors and people will flock to see what it is. I can't promise you will have as perfect an experience as I have, but I can promise you that the Model X will be an amazing ride. I look for reasons to drive it (Chinese food takeout tonight, I picked it up ;))

As per Tesla, I am due to receive my Model X, sometimes next month..!!..?? Don't know, for sure. Every day, I read this forum and the forum on tesla.com and daily, I am getting bit worried about the quality of the car. Everyday, I seems to find threads complaining about the car and it's reliability. Prior owners are the one who sheds some lights on it, if they have any answer. Thanks you guys for that, but I have not seen any reply from Tesla motors itself. Do they really read this forum, if any? Should not they be worried for the bad reputation every negative thread generates? Should not they answer each of our concerns in timely manner? Is there any other way, any other forum by Tesla Motor itself, where they answer such worried questions? And Last, should I continue to hope that my Model X vin XX8041 will be trouble free? Will I get a car worth $109,000???

MX VIN 29xx... almost perfect, just one itty bitty flaw (I didn't even see it, but my son spotted it) in one of the glass panels above the back seat. When you get the car it will amaze you everyday in dozens of different ways. I think you can feel confident that you made a good decision.... so relax and get ready for a great experience!

Forum induced anxiety (FIA) is common to most all products that have a forum attached to them.

It is generally due to a Chicken Little (The sky is falling) bent to posters. They seem to take perfection for granted, and dwell on all the real or perceived shortcomings of the product.

If one or two posters mention some problem, potential owners will experience anxiety that their vehicle will also have it. It is very disconcerting, however minor it really might be to the entire population of owners.

Manufacturers usually wisely stay out of commenting on the forums. Best to just let the owners vent, and be aware of any problems, and take the necessary steps to correct and improve them in later production.

FIA is closely related to buyers remorse. While real, they often blow concerns out of realistic expectations.

We all want our Tesla's to be perfect, however no vehicle is perfect.

Forum induced anxiety (FIA) is common to most all products that have a forum attached to them.

It is generally due to a Chicken Little (The sky is falling) bent to posters. They seem to take perfection for granted, and dwell on all the real or perceived shortcomings of the product.

If one or two posters mention some problem, potential owners will experience anxiety that their vehicle will also have it. It is very disconcerting, however minor it really might be to the entire population of owners.

Manufacturers usually wisely stay out of commenting on the forums. Best to just let the owners vent, and be aware of any problems, and take the necessary steps to correct and improve them in later production.

FIA is closely related to buyers remorse. While real, they often blow concerns out of realistic expectations.

We all want our Tesla's to be perfect, however no vehicle is perfect.
Very well said uncle!

Reactions: Softwizard
I don't know about the fit, finish, or durability, but I was in downtown Laguna Beach yesterday (Forest Ave. - Artsy/Foodie area a block from the water) with my wife and I saw a Ferrari 488 GTB go by and it got some looks - and sounded great. Then a solid white X, black wheels with full tint (AKA Stormtrooper) slid down the street to a 4-way stop. People, not just me, stopped, pointed, clocks ran backwards (maybe just mine) and were asking what the heck that beautiful thing was. It stood out more than the Ferraris or Lambos that roll up and down the streets there.

So at the end of the day, you will attrack a lot of attention. Enjoy.

I so want a Stormtrooper X.

I hate to say this...but if you're on the fence...DON'T DO IT.

I agonized over whether to pull the trigger on my Model X and ended up going through with it and took delivery on 4/27. Unfortunately, I miss the 2013 Model S that I traded in every day I drive my Model X, and it's primarily due to poor build quality and annoyances. The car hasn't left me stuck, but it's got a number of fit and finish issues which makes me concerned for long term reliability and hassle factor. :-(

Quick summary:
- Right FWD started grinding on rear glass within 48 hours and I was afraid it was going to break the glass. Dragging chrome trim was being pulled away from the door as well.
- Service appointments at both Palo Alto and Fremont were booked solid for over a month, so I booked a June appointment at Palo Alto SC. Luckily Fremont agreed to take a quick look and see if they could prevent more damage until I could come back in a month by adjusting the door striker.
- Driver side window started overlapping seals and misaligning after one week.
- Constant dash creaking started by second week.
- Noticed both FWD's were starting to grind on the door jamb paint and have worn some spots through on the clear coat and now starting on the paint.
- Air suspension started throwing warning beeps while driving by week 2 and you need to press the brake pedal to get it to reset.
- Got a "Touch Screen Needs Service" error a week ago, and rebooting it brought it back.
- Touch screen went black a week later.
- FINALLY got around to dropping it off for my service appointment at Palo Alto that I've been waiting a MONTH for...and..."Sorry, we can't look at the car for at least 8 days", we'll call you in a week with an ETA for when we'll look at it (why bother making appointments?!?!). Too many other cars already backed up for service. What choice did I have, but to leave it to get in line, so now we'll see when I'll get the car back.

Needless to say, Tesla has probably lost me as a future customer now that I've been through Model X experience. I loved my Model S, but also owned it during a period when Tesla was still ramping up and service was definitely going the extra mile. It seems that those days are gone now that SC's are crushed with Model X quality problems and I'm concerned they'll be rushing fixes to move on to the next car vs. the high standards they had a couple years back. With higher volumes...just imagine the Model 3 train wreck that'll occur if they only have a fraction of the Model X issues!

Seriously considering selling it to the next sucker once I get it back and/or totaling up the number of days out of service if it needs to go back in again and trying for a buy back under threat of CA Lemon Law.

Attachments

• IMG_1326.jpg
    IMG_1326.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1569.jpg
    IMG_1569.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1908.jpg
    IMG_1908.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2600.jpg
    IMG_2600.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2610.jpg
    IMG_2610.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 73
I hate to say this...but if you're on the fence...DON'T DO IT.

I agonized over whether to pull the trigger on my Model X and ended up going through with it and took delivery on 4/27. Unfortunately, I miss the 2013 Model S that I traded in every day I drive my Model X, and it's primarily due to poor build quality and annoyances. The car hasn't left me stuck, but it's got a number of fit and finish issues which makes me concerned for long term reliability and hassle factor. :-(

Quick summary:
- Right FWD started grinding on rear glass within 48 hours and I was afraid it was going to break the glass. Dragging chrome trim was being pulled away from the door as well.
- Service appointments at both Palo Alto and Fremont were booked solid for over a month, so I booked a June appointment at Palo Alto SC. Luckily Fremont agreed to take a quick look and see if they could prevent more damage until I could come back in a month by adjusting the door striker.
- Driver side window started overlapping seals and misaligning after one week.
- Constant dash creaking started by second week.
- Noticed both FWD's were starting to grind on the door jamb paint and have worn some spots through on the clear coat and now starting on the paint.
- Air suspension started throwing warning beeps while driving by week 2 and you need to press the brake pedal to get it to reset.
- Got a "Touch Screen Needs Service" error a week ago, and rebooting it brought it back.
- Touch screen went black a week later.
- FINALLY got around to dropping it off for my service appointment at Palo Alto that I've been waiting a MONTH for...and..."Sorry, we can't look at the car for at least 8 days", we'll call you in a week with an ETA for when we'll look at it (why bother making appointments?!?!). Too many other cars already backed up for service. What choice did I have, but to leave it to get in line, so now we'll see when I'll get the car back.

Needless to say, Tesla has probably lost me as a future customer now that I've been through Model X experience. I loved my Model S, but also owned it during a period when Tesla was still ramping up and service was definitely going the extra mile. It seems that those days are gone now that SC's are crushed with Model X quality problems and I'm concerned they'll be rushing fixes to move on to the next car vs. the high standards they had a couple years back. With higher volumes...just imagine the Model 3 train wreck that'll occur if they only have a fraction of the Model X issues!

Seriously considering selling it to the next sucker once I get it back and/or totaling up the number of days out of service if it needs to go back in again and trying for a buy back under threat of CA Lemon Law.

Mine is going in tomorrow, had to book 3 weeks in advance! The issues are relatively minor but what angers me the most is the one month wait! For instance you unfortunately have a paper weight that you can't drive since Tesla doesn't have an appointment available

• Informative
Reactions: X Yes?
It seems that certain SCs are overloaded and have longer wait times than others. It may be partly by design as TM released more cars to customers near to the factory so problems could be resolved quicker but of course they didn't anticipate how many and didn't staff the nearby SCs adequately.
At my SC which is about 100miles from the factory, I haven't had more than a day of wait and the car didn't just sit on their lot even when their hands were full like in early April. On my second repair visit, the service lot had a whole lineup of Model Xs. This last Fri, almost empty I saw maybe one other Model X there.

I took delivery of my model x on 4-14. VIN# 32xx. Zero problems. This is the best car I have ever owned. I have driven it over 3500 miles and taken one extended road trip (1800 miles). with software updates, the car gets even better, so I can say that the car i am driving now is better than the one i bought in april. Clearly, there are those on this forum that have had issues, particularly the ones rushed out of Fremont before 3-31, but it seems the issues for most have continued to subside since then. This is a very sophisticated care and it does a lot of things that no other car has ever done. I, for one, love supporting the EV generation and the future of automobiles. And this is it, guys.