Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X is ruining my Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The sound system in Model X has so much more bass, that I turned down the bass response. The extra tint at the rear windows, the same range as a 3 year old Model S P85 and the lack of AM radio are a few Model X features that help me love the S.
That's very interesting about the lack of AM radio. I wonder if it's due to lack of space for the antenna or too much interference from the electric motor making the AM radio useless. I understand the BMW i3 doesn't have an AM radio due to interference. AM HD radio on my MS sounds great, I'd be very sad if I didn't have AM radio in my car.

- - - Updated - - -

In June it will be 4 years since the S was put on the market, and Tesla will need some kind of event or introduction between the Model 3 reveal and its first delivery.
I predict auto pilot V2 hardware upgrade that makes full autonomous driving possible. Much like autopilot V1 the hardware will be installed on cars before the capabilities are enabled via software updates. These capabilities may be delayed due to regulatory restrictions. But it will be a big reveal and boost MS and MX sales. I predict M3 cars will not have autopilot hardware installed in the base level cars to keep costs down, but will be an upgrade option.

I predict auto pilot V2 hardware upgrade that makes full autonomous driving possible. Much like autopilot V1 the hardware will be installed on cars before the capabilities are enabled via software updates. These capabilities may be delayed due to regulatory restrictions. But it will be a big reveal and boost MS and MX sales. I predict M3 cars will not have autopilot hardware installed in the base level cars to keep costs down, but will be an upgrade option.

This has been a big debate in other threads, but I think it is clear that the new AP hardware will have stereoscopic cameras in the front, and that's the reason why they've only installed one camera, (and its off to the side of the box). Thus allowing for a retrofit in future. :)

This has been a big debate in other threads, but I think it is clear that the new AP hardware will have stereoscopic cameras in the front, and that's the reason why they've only installed one camera, (and its off to the side of the box). Thus allowing for a retrofit in future. :)
I hope that's right, who wouldn't want that retrofit, but for full autonomous operations more than just another camera in the front will be needed.

I hope that's right, who wouldn't want that retrofit, but for full autonomous operations more than just another camera in the front will be needed.

Definitely. I'm not saying that only one camera is required for the new AP functionality. The fact that this is there suggests that maybe they will be able to retrofit AP v2 to the Model X, however current Model Ses don't have this capability.

That would be cool. I have just expected that I would not be able to upgrade.

I just feel that people have been waiting for Model X for 4 years, it'd be a total slap in the face to release hardware updates that aren't retrofittable 6-12 months from initial deliveries

Not to mention that there is no need to do that when you have sold out your entire year's production already. Resources are better used for producing cars people will buy. Oh yeah and to develop that all important Model 3 too.

So I finally got to spend some time with an X! Just over an hour and here are my thoughts:

1. The white imitation leather seats are gorgeous and comfortable! I hope these make it to the S. So soft.
2. People say the Model X looks "better" in person. Personally, it looks pretty much like in the pictures. Not the most attractive vehicle, but certainly not ugly either.
3. The 3rd row seats are tiny! Really kids only like the S trunk seats.
4. The falcon wing doors are cool and draw a crowd. The sensors appear to be hit or miss though. One door wouldn't open until the car was reset. There is a lot of sacrifices to make for falcon wing doors and the ability to get kids into the third row seats. Since I don't have kids, the falcon wing doors are a bit useless to me. Great for large families though!
5. The LED headlights and daytime running lights are sweet!
6. Thought it odd that the only cup holders for the main (second row) seating was the two at the forward part of the drivers arm rest. I thought that was a strange design decision.
7. The windshield was less awe inspiring then I thought it would be. I can see the design concept, but the practicality isn't as great as I thought it would be. About half way up the tint get's super dark. Even on a bright sunny day it's hard to see anything out of the upper half. Then mix in reflections from the entire interior, I was a bit underwhelmed. I think this is one of those things that have been chalked up to "they didn't do it in the past for a reason", rather than that other auto makers "couldn't" do it.
8. Folding second row seats would have been far superior. With the third row folded and the second row seats slid all the way forward, we are talking 4, maybe 4 and a half feet of cargo room. Definitely no camper mode in this guy. 5 seat with folding should sell well in the future.
9. Being able to tow up to 5000 lbs is obviously a pretty awesome feature for those with boats and other recreational vehicle trailers.
10. Due to the high loads required of the structure for the falcon doors and crash worthiness, the pillars and passenger compartment structure are super thick! 5-7 inches in some places. This all detracts from interior space and makes the car feel a bit claustrophobic for us tall people.

Overall a cool experience and the vehicle will definitely be a hit for the more well-off moms out there. I think that is exactly who Tesla was targeting. While I prefer the S, I do like some of the X features and I hope Tesla can keep on top of the quality and issues with the X.

Last edited:
So I finally got to spend some time with an X! Just over an hour and here are my thoughts:
4. The falcon wing doors are cool and draw a crowd. The sensors appear to be hit or miss though. One door wouldn't open until the car was reset. There is a lot of sacrifices to make for falcon wing doors and the ability to get kids into the third row seats. Since I don't have kids, the falcon wing doors are a bit useless to me. Great for large families though!

6. Thought it odd that the only cup holders for the main (second row) seating was the two at the forward part of the drivers arm rest. I thought that was a strange design decision.
7. The windshield was less awe inspiring then I thought it would be. I can see the design concept, but the practicality isn't as great as I thought it would be. About half way up the tint get's super dark. Even on a bright sunny day it's hard to see anything out of the upper half. Then mix in reflections from the entire interior, I was a bit underwhelmed. I think this is one of those things that have been chalked up to "they didn't do it in the past for a reason", rather than that other auto makers "couldn't" do it.
8. Folding second row seats would have been far superior. With the third row folded and the second row seats slid all the way forward, we are talking 4, maybe 4 and a half feet of cargo room. Definitely no camper mode in this guy. 5 seat with folding should sell well in the future.

Overall a cool experience and the vehicle will definitely be a hit for the more well-off moms out there. I think that is exactly who Tesla was targeting. While I prefer the S, I do like some of the X features and I hope Tesla can keep on top of the quality and issues with the X.

4. I think this is a "small matter of software" that will improve over time

6. That's not the case. There are 2 cup holders that pop out from the back of the console (near the USB ports) for the middle row seats AND there are the two cup holders accessible to the front row behind the armrest in the console AND there are two adjustable cup holders in the front of the front console. And, of course, there are two cup holders between the two back row seats as well.

7. I've ridden in one, and have to disagree, though I think that's a matter of personal preference. I can't wait to drive through a "tree tunnel" in the X!

8. Totally agree. Hoping they offer folding seats as a retrofit sometime down the road. I continue to think this was a compromise to avoid another year's delay in production.

4. I think this is a "small matter of software" that will improve over time

6. That's not the case. There are 2 cup holders that pop out from the back of the console (near the USB ports) for the middle row seats AND there are the two cup holders accessible to the front row behind the armrest in the console AND there are two adjustable cup holders in the front of the front console. And, of course, there are two cup holders between the two back row seats as well.

7. I've ridden in one, and have to disagree, though I think that's a matter of personal preference. I can't wait to drive through a "tree tunnel" in the X!

8. Totally agree. Hoping they offer folding seats as a retrofit sometime down the road. I continue to think this was a compromise to avoid another year's delay in production.

4. Let's hope!

6. Ah, I didn't see the hidden center row cup holders. I knew about all the others.

8. Has Tesla released any information as to whether the 5 seat option will include folding seats?

7. I think a large panoramic roof that can open is preferred. Just opinion of course. It was a neat feature but I didn't find it terribly practical:

12605379_10153827372537226_8117286682331404623_o.jpg

1. The white imitation leather seats are gorgeous and comfortable! I hope these make it to the S. So soft.
2. People say the Model X looks "better" in person. Personally, it looks pretty much like in the pictures. Not the most attractive vehicle, but certainly not ugly either.
3. The 3rd row seats are tiny! Really kids only like the S trunk seats.
5. The LED headlights and daytime running lights are sweet!
9. Being able to tow up to 5000 lbs is obviously a pretty awesome feature for those with boats and other recreational vehicle trailers.
10. Due to the high loads required of the structure for the falcon doors and crash worthiness, the pillars and passenger compartment structure are super thick! 5-7 inches in some places. This all detracts from interior space and makes the car feel a bit claustrophobic for us tall people.

i sat in the third row yesterday and was able to get in and out without issue. I am 5'11" and yes it was a bit cramped but a lot more comfortable than most SUVs including the third row of an escalade Audi Q7 and Lexus gx450

i sat in the third row yesterday and was able to get in and out without issue. I am 5'11" and yes it was a bit cramped but a lot more comfortable than most SUVs including the third row of an escalade Audi Q7 and Lexus gx450

Agreed. I'm 6' and for me it was cramped but comfortable. My buddy who came with me is 6'2 or so and he brought up a very valid concern that in a hard deceleration he could hit the C pillar crossbar with his head sitting in the back seat. I would hope the seat belts would prevent that, but not sure. Does anyone know if the seatbelt pretension in the anticipation of a collision applies to all seats or just the front?

The Model X is ruining my Model S... ok totally sarcastic but I drove the S this morning after driving my wife's X all weekend, and it felt claustrophobic. Reminded me of the first time I sat in a Volt. Damn gigantic windshield on the X. No auto-closening doors either :mad: :tongue:

Yes, I have the same issue...my wife gets to drive the X and even my P85D seems obsolete now. It's nice, but the X is so much nice...it used to be such a pain to get out of the house with a 1 year old and 3 year old but now with the X its like I want excuses to go do things with the kids and take them places.

They love the X and the doors as well.
I'm obsessed with those doors, so much utility and they look super cool.

This car is going to disrupt the entire SUV industry in my opinion.

Agreed. I'm 6' and for me it was cramped but comfortable.

Cramped but comfortable? Sorry, after having just sat in the thing I will have to incredibly disagree. Have you sat in the third row, with the rear hatch closed and the second row slid back so that a normal adult can sit in the seat? It is incredibly small back there in it's travel state.

What we call this is the "honeymoon phase" of a new product. People gloss over obvious practical considerations due to psychological purchase validation.

Cramped but comfortable? Sorry, after having just sat in the thing I will have to incredibly disagree. Have you sat in the third row, with the rear hatch closed and the second row slid back so that a normal adult can sit in the seat? It is incredibly small back there in it's travel state.

What we call this is the "honeymoon phase" of a new product. People gloss over obvious practical considerations due to physiological purchase validation.

Yes, I have. As I've said in a few other posts, I wouldn't want to do it for a long trip, but on a hop to lunch or something it would be fine. In the six seat config you can stretch your legs out between the middle row seats.

What we call this is the "honeymoon phase" of a new product. People gloss over obvious practical considerations due to psychological purchase validation.

I think the point here is the third row is not the same as the third row in a minivan or Suburban, nor should anyone expect it to be. But compared to Q7, old XC90 (I haven't seen the insides of a new one), etc it is better. Generally you're going to have kids sit there, but your comparison to the Model S jumpseat is a clear exaggeration.

It is critical that the rear seat passenger moves their legs towards the center while the 2nd row is moved back for the "latch" sound to occur. It gets too tight for anyone to survive the latching process of the 2nd row. Once the latching occurs, then the 2nd row seat control (at the seat bottom) can be used to move the seat forward to a more comfortable position for the rear seat passenger.

The driver and passenger front row seats must be moved forward for all six or seven seats to comfortably seat everyone with feet, legs, and knees forward. As I have mentioned elsewhere, it is best if the knees are not together, but rather spread to the outer edges of the seat in front. This all makes sense when you are trying to get everyone comfortable. It is a challenge and a learning process because of the hard plastic seat backs used in Model X. The curve of the seat backs forces the passenger behind the seat back to spread the legs and knees wide.

It is critical that the rear seat passenger moves their legs towards the center while the 2nd row is moved back for the "latch" sound to occur. It gets too tight for anyone to survive the latching process of the 2nd row. Once the latching occurs, then the 2nd row seat control (at the seat bottom) can be used to move the seat forward to a more comfortable position for the rear seat passenger.

The driver and passenger front row seats must be moved forward for all six or seven seats to comfortably seat everyone with legs forward. As I have mentioned elsewhere, it is best if the knees are not together, but rather spread to the outer edges of the seat in front. This all makes sense when you are trying to get everyone comfortable. It is a challenge and a learning process because of the hard plastic seat backs used in Model X.

One of the things I noticed was that unlike virtually every car I've ever driven, I was actually much more comfortable behind the wheel with the driver's seat moved much more forward than expected. One of the things that surprised me at the event last night was that the front seats were all all the way back and when that's the case the back compartment starts to feel very small.

Fortunately the primary passenger seat occupant will be my wife at 4'11.5" and me at 6' in the driver's seat. That will make for a very roomy middle and rear when necessary.