Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 Tesla Model X with about 17K miles. I’m experiencing a few issues and looking to see if its just me or others have experienced:

* When using Navigate on Autopilot, if I move to the left most lane (because the other lanes have slow moving traffic- like going under 60mph on a 60mph interstate), autopilot keeps beeping to change lanes. This is on a trip where the exit is 270 miles away and there are no lane changes required to stay on the interstate. Exit from passing lane is turned off and auto lane change is also turned off. It doesn’t even take into account that there are cars in right lane (blind spot, right next to the car etc. That would prevent a lane change)
* Phantom braking - From what I’ve read on forums, this seems to be a common issue (or at least was in the past). Happens a few times a month where the car brakes for no known reason (nothing in front of the car)
* I got two alerts: One was about the rear right seat safety belt - the message said the safety system has failed and service is neede. Another said autopilot cannot function because the ultrasonic sensors aren‘t communicating. I requested service as indicated but Tesla claims everything is fine and they dont see any issues. Sadly, software updates seem to reset all alerts so I no longer have proof but its scary to drive someone in the backseat in case the restraint has truly failed and wont protect the occupan in the event of an incident.

Looking for some guidance on how to deal with this.

I have a 2020 Tesla Model X with about 17K miles. I’m experiencing a few issues and looking to see if its just me or others have experienced:

* When using Navigate on Autopilot, if I move to the left most lane (because the other lanes have slow moving traffic- like going under 60mph on a 60mph interstate), autopilot keeps beeping to change lanes. This is on a trip where the exit is 270 miles away and there are no lane changes required to stay on the interstate. Exit from passing lane is turned off and auto lane change is also turned off. It doesn’t even take into account that there are cars in right lane (blind spot, right next to the car etc. That would prevent a lane change)
* Phantom braking - From what I’ve read on forums, this seems to be a common issue (or at least was in the past). Happens a few times a month where the car brakes for no known reason (nothing in front of the car)
* I got two alerts: One was about the rear right seat safety belt - the message said the safety system has failed and service is neede. Another said autopilot cannot function because the ultrasonic sensors aren‘t communicating. I requested service as indicated but Tesla claims everything is fine and they dont see any issues. Sadly, software updates seem to reset all alerts so I no longer have proof but its scary to drive someone in the backseat in case the restraint has truly failed and wont protect the occupan in the event of an incident.

Looking for some guidance on how to deal with this.
In most states, it is illegal to hang out in the left lane, poor practice in the rest. Whenever there is a car is behind you, NoA will want to move you out of the passing lane. The rear camera is a single camera with a fisheye lens, thus it cannot really tell how far out a vehicle is behind you. The front camera is a three camera array, which can calculate distance accurately. I do not know why you would turn off exit from passing lane. That is an important feature.

Phantom braking is going to be more difficult. If it is still happening, you might want to recalibrate the autopilot cameras (from Settings Service, IIRC). It has been quite a long time since my car has experienced a phantom braking event.

If you have any alarms, that are at all persistent or recurring, You need to open a service ticket from your phone. Any alarms are automatically loaded in to the ticket.

I do not know why you would turn off exit from passing lane. That is an important feature.
I don't know about the OP's situation, but here is the reason I turn off auto exit from passing lane. There is a stretch of road here about 20 miles long where the right lane is purposely very rough at high elevation (snow line). Traffic at the time I drive is practically none. I don't want the car constantly moving into the rough right lane. If anyone comes along behind me, it is easy to slightly lift the signal to tell it to move over until the car passes and then slightly pull down afterward to get back in the left lane. Sure, I think it is a nice feature to use most of the time, but not in this specific situation for me.

• Informative
Reactions: KrenGrl and jboy210
Some clarification regarding “exit from passing lane”: The reason why I turned it off is because of the behavior I described in my post. In my state, law requires to keep right unless passing and I follow that law. However, during peak travel time, the left lane is the faster lane and the right lane(s) will have traffic flowing below posted speed limit. It seems odd that the Autopilot would want you to move to the right when there is a steady stream of vehicles in that lane (so cannot pass) and that lane of traffic is moving slower than posted speed limits. I observed the behavior first and then turned off the setting to see if it will stop the constant notification to change lanes.