Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X keeps unlocking and locking with key FOB nearby

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up our Model X after trading in our Model S.

One thing I just noticed, if I keep the key FOB near the Model X, it'll constantly lock and unlock over and over again. This never happened with my Model S.

Anyone have any ideas? Right now my only solution to keep the cars far away from the garage which is a little inconvenient.

So this is affecting others. I had contacted support about this before I read this. Good to know. Recommend you complain about this too.

***** What I Sent Tesla Support *****
Ludicrous Sensitivity of Fobs Now – wife HATES which is a BIGGER issue.

2) we’ve had our X parked in the same 1 car garage & fobs are hanging on a key loop inside a wood cabinet for almost 2 yrs. Within the last month or so (we haven’t replaced fob batteries either), the car has started to randomly wake up & unlocks parked in our garage plugged in. The fobs are about 11.5 feet away through a wooden cabinet door and a fire rated door to our garage. If I move the fobs away to about 25 feet, the car sleeps permanently. I’m very concerned about this. Did something change in an OTA update? Also, do the fobs work on 315MHz frequency, since I’m looking to block the frequency in the short term using a frequency blocker.

Easier to place the fobs in a metal box or RFI shielded pocket. Worked OK for our second fob stored near the garage, though its battery ran out in less than 6 months. The fob I use all the time has not required battery replacement.

While my fob turns on the running lights when I walk into the kitchen or upstairs bathroom, it does not unlock the car unless I walk into the garage. The car sleeps fine when the fob is stationary.

Put it in a RFID. But then you need to take it with you whenever you go anywhere. You don't want to be @ McDonald's and car unlocks.

Or just turn off passive entry. That's what I did.
Only difference is you have to actually double tap fob to unlock and start the car. Not that big of a deal really.

I got an aluminum key case from Amazon. 'Topfit Premium Aluminum Metal Car Key Case Shell Cover with Key Chain for Tesla Model X (Black)'. Apparently the aluminum affects the range. I hang my keys up right near my garage door and I don't have this problem anymore with the key case.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby