Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Key? Door Handles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tanner

Nov 17, 2013
SoCal
After having placed my Model X reservation yesterday (Just Reserved, YAY! # In Line & Mirrors: Conflicting Stories?! - super excited!!!), a plethora of weird questions pertaining to the upcoming car are starting to gnaw away in the back of my head.

First up, the key? Does anyone know if Tesla will use the same key as found on the Model S? If so, should they use a different material instead of glossy black plastic (it scratches incredibly fast)?

Also, what about the handles? From everything I've seen, it appears as though they're not like the Model S' AT ALL! In videos of the various beta iterations of the car, the handles don't extend as they do on the Model S, but rather when pushed, the doors kind of just open? Does anyone know additional details?

Sorry for my ramblings, and if this thread covers any info found in previous threads, I'm just really interested in the car as of late!

I don't think anyone can answer these questions who isn't under NDA. You'll have to wait until Tesla reveals the final version of the car before you'll have definite answers to these questions.
Darn, I kind of figured as much though. Thanks for your reply. Also, I really do hope they change the handles, seems impractical and awkward, especially for the front doors... After they "pop" open, are you supposed to grab the inside of the door to fully open it or what? Ha!

I really do hope they change the handles, seems impractical and awkward, especially for the front doors... After they "pop" open, are you supposed to grab the inside of the door to fully open it or what? Ha!

I didn't read your other thread, so perhaps you did, but I'd recommend taking a trip to a Tesla store and trying the handles on a Model S. I don't see Tesla changing them though.

You placed your reservation yesterday and you're having trouble being patient?

Here's some prospective for you, the X was revealed on February 9 of 2012 and folks placed reservations then. In case you're REALLY bad at math, that was 3 years, 4 days (1099 days) ago (2012 was a leap year). ;-)

Cheers!

I didn't read your other thread, so perhaps you did, but I'd recommend taking a trip to a Tesla store and trying the handles on a Model S. I don't see Tesla changing them though.

I own a Model S, I'm quite familiar with the handles. However, on EVERY video I've seen thus far (as stated above), the handles DO NOT function like they do on the Model S - i.e. they don't automatically "present" themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

You placed your reservation yesterday and you're having trouble being patient?

Here's some prospective for you, the X was revealed on February 9 of 2012 and folks placed reservations then. In case you're REALLY bad at math, that was 3 years, 4 days (1099 days) ago (2012 was a leap year). ;-)

Cheers!

What's with the hate? Ha... I've followed both the S and the X since they were first announce. However, I'm just NOW at the place to where I can realistically reserve the X and, in light of that fact, I'm starting to become even more excited than I was when I first saw the X.

I own a Model S, I'm quite familiar with the handles. However, on EVERY video I've seen thus far (as stated above), the handles DO NOT function like they do on the Model S - i.e. they don't automatically "present" themselves..

The only X vehicles we have seen so far are barely functional prototypes. It would be unwise to draw many conclusions from them.

While you may be excited about placing your X reservation this week -- and that is totally understandable -- you have placed a reservation for a car that no one outside of Tesla has seen in final form or driven., and there is almost no information about the car on the Tesla website. So you are just going to have to wait until mid-summer for real, accurate, information about it since yesterday Elon stated there would be no "reveal" of the production X before the first customer delivery.

You are of course free to speculate...

The only X vehicles we have seen so far are barely functional prototypes. It would be unwise to draw many conclusions from them.

While you may be excited about placing your X reservation this week -- and that is totally understandable -- you have placed a reservation for a car that no one outside of Tesla has seen in final form or driven., and there is almost no information about the car on the Tesla website. So you are just going to have to wait until mid-summer for real, accurate, information about it since yesterday Elon stated there would be no "reveal" of the production X before the first customer delivery.

You are of course free to speculate...

Got it, thanks for your input. I was just under the impression that the handles (or lack thereof) would make it from the beta to production... I thought that, like the S, Tesla would attempt something radical with the handles of the X and I was wondering whether anyone had any information or knew of a report somewhere that pointed to some concrete info, that's all.

Last edited:
Welcome and congrats on the reservation and excitement! There's a bit of a seniority play going on here, so don't mind it. A lot of people have been through the thick and thin with Tesla, so newbies go through mandatory verbal hazing. ;)

I remember hearing around the time of original Model X prototype unveil that while the prototype's rear handles won't extend, the final ones would. That said, extending door handles - while cool - make a little less sense with falcon wings than they do on the Model S. Push-in handle-lookalike would serve the same purpose. Also, even if that comment was from someone reliable and not misquoted press, a lot of time has gone by since and the falcon wings evidently redesigned. It could have changed one way or the other. I can't be bothered to try to look up that quote, maybe someone else will. :)

I think overall others are right, we just don't know yet. There is that distant word the production model would get extending handles, if you want to place some odds on it, perhaps you can. The other thing is, the front door handles will still probably extend, because they are traditional doors and all the pictures show flush handles (unless something dramatic changed). It would look asymmetrical to only have the front ones extend, so it isn't too far out there to at least hope the rear handles would follow suit and extend as well.

Hypothetical extending rear door handles obviously won't be used to pull open the falcon wing door, but even on the Model S there is a little leeway on the handles that first unlocks the door before any actual pulling force is applied - it isn't too hard to imagine that same motion could be used to command the falcon wing to open.

- - - Updated - - -

For completeness' sake, the front door handles of the prototypes didn't extend either. It is possible they might go down the Fisker Karma route.

Last edited:
What about a touch sensor for electric opening/closing doors like the falcon wing doors (trunk/frunk too)? No need for a door handle at all.

The front doors may get these old school retractables.

Last edited:
[QUOTE=AnxietyRanger;907279... extending door handles - while cool - make a little less sense with falcon wings than they do on the Model S. Push-in handle-lookalike would serve the same purpose. Also, even if that comment was from someone reliable and not misquoted press, a lot of time has gone by since and the falcon wings evidently redesigned. It could have changed one way or the other. I can't be bothered to try to look up that quote, maybe someone else will. :)

Good Point... Having a "top" grab on the rear doors moving upward could create a pinch point.... another release makes more sense. There are a number of touch solutions that Tesla has in mind.

Not hatin' (except on the fact that you've got an S to drive while you wait) just trying to temper the excitement a bit. Why? I dunno, I guess because I'm frustrated at having to wait so long for more details on the X. Ha! :tongue: :wink:

That's true, I'm very thankful I have a Model S during the wait! And your day will come, hopefully you'll be one of the first ones to get it!

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome and congrats on the reservation and excitement! There's a bit of a seniority play going on here, so don't mind it. A lot of people have been through the thick and thin with Tesla, so newbies go through mandatory verbal hazing. ;)

I remember hearing around the time of original Model X prototype unveil that while the prototype's rear handles won't extend, the final ones would. That said, extending door handles - while cool - make a little less sense with falcon wings than they do on the Model S. Push-in handle-lookalike would serve the same purpose. Also, even if that comment was from someone reliable and not misquoted press, a lot of time has gone by since and the falcon wings evidently redesigned. It could have changed one way or the other. I can't be bothered to try to look up that quote, maybe someone else will. :)

I think overall others are right, we just don't know yet. There is that distant word the production model would get extending handles, if you want to place some odds on it, perhaps you can. The other thing is, the front door handles will still probably extend, because they are traditional doors and all the pictures show flush handles (unless something dramatic changed). It would look asymmetrical to only have the front ones extend, so it isn't too far out there to at least hope the rear handles would follow suit and extend as well.

Hypothetical extending rear door handles obviously won't be used to pull open the falcon wing door, but even on the Model S there is a little leeway on the handles that first unlocks the door before any actual pulling force is applied - it isn't too hard to imagine that same motion could be used to command the falcon wing to open.

- - - Updated - - -

For completeness' sake, the front door handles of the prototypes didn't extend either. It is possible they might go down the Fisker Karma route.

Thank you! I definitely appreciate your reply and I certainly agree, I think touch-based handles would be ideal for the back, whereas the front should have handles similar to the Model S... That being said, it would look really odd to only have the front handles present themselves as you walk up to it. Hopefully Tesla has a nice surprise for us!

- - - Updated - - -

What about a touch sensor for electric opening/closing doors like the falcon wing doors (trunk/frunk too)? No need for a door handle at all.

The front doors may get these old school retractables.

That would be good, but then what about the front? Considering the fact that the doors won't automatically open like the falcon wing doors or the current tailgate of the Model S, it would be VERY awkward to not have handles... As stated above, it would be equally awkward to only have the front handles be "old school retractables". I hope Tesla has a great solution.

... extending door handles - while cool - make a little less sense with falcon wings than they do on the Model S. Push-in handle-lookalike would serve the same purpose. Also, even if that comment was from someone reliable and not misquoted press, a lot of time has gone by since and the falcon wings evidently redesigned. It could have changed one way or the other. I can't be bothered to try to look up that quote, maybe someone else will. :)

Good Point... Having a "top" grab on the rear doors moving upward could create a pinch point.... another release makes more sense. There are a number of touch solutions that Tesla has in mind.

One solution to that could be shaping the rear handle internally something you can't push your hand through completely, enough to click it towards yourself from top down or bottom up, so it wouldn't have anything to trap your hand in. It would also physically signal it isn't meant for pulling the door open, only for nudging to activate the opening.

Thank you also to tanner for a nice post above. I agree the different nature of the front and rear doors make a uniform solution difficult and I hope Tesla has solved it elegantly, in some way. Retracting hanldes would make sense in the front, Fisker Karma like click to open - as I guess is in the public Model X prototype front door? - is hardly optimal for a regular door and I doubt I'd like that on a daily basis. The fact that I'm using Fisker Karma as the example should be proof enough. :)

One thing that makes me a little doubtful about the rear handles extending (and thus, about front handles extending either - for symmetry's sake) is this image, partially, from the November update. The shape of the leading edge of the falcon wing around the door handle doesn't give any hints to it being anything more than a button. The leading edge is pretty thin and long on the left. That said, of course it is possible the extending mechanism exists more rearwards and the part of the handle over the leading edge of the door simply opens up with it... but that would leave an area where to get your fingers stuck in.

We shall see what Tesla has ended up with. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=63999&d=14164339408.png

One solution to that could be shaping the rear handle internally something you can't push your hand through completely, enough to click it towards yourself from top down or bottom up, so it wouldn't have anything to trap your hand in. It would also physically signal it isn't meant for pulling the door open, only for nudging to activate the opening.

Thank you also to tanner for a nice post above. I agree the different nature of the front and rear doors make a uniform solution difficult and I hope Tesla has solved it elegantly, in some way. Retracting hanldes would make sense in the front, Fisker Karma like click to open - as I guess is in the public Model X prototype front door? - is hardly optimal for a regular door and I doubt I'd like that on a daily basis. The fact that I'm using Fisker Karma as the example should be proof enough. :)

One thing that makes me a little doubtful about the rear handles extending (and thus, about front handles extending either - for symmetry's sake) is this image, partially, from the November update. The shape of the leading edge of the falcon wing around the door handle doesn't give any hints to it being anything more than a button. The leading edge is pretty thin and long on the left. That said, of course it is possible the extending mechanism exists more rearwards and the part of the handle over the leading edge of the door simply opens up with it... but that would leave an area where to get your fingers stuck in.

We shall see what Tesla has ended up with. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=63999&d=14164339408.png

Is there a link somewhere where I could find info on the November update? I guess I missed that, but I've seen the above image on the forums a few times. And I agree, I think push/touch "handles" on the front would be a big disappointment, yet they simply don't make sense for the falcon wing doors...

Another option would be (since this is a vehicle targeted somewhat to families) is an open for the falcon doors like more and more minivan rear doors of waving one's foot under the door. As long as the key is present (and we know they have that solved) the falcon door would just open. Of course, knowing Elon, one may just have to wish really, really hard for the door to open and the Model X will just sense that and open the door for us. :wink: