Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Key Fob Battery Issue

Hi All,
Just took delivery of a 2018 Model X 75D. We were given two key fobs. One was dead and the other had a low battery. The Fremont delivery center where I picked it up did not have any more Model X compatible batteries.

I transferred the low battery into the other key fob just to check that it was paired to the car and working. Thankfully it was. They told me that I should go to the Dublin service center to pick up new batteries.

This morning I picked up the batteries (the guys at the service center couldn’t have been nicer) but didn’t have a screw driver in the car to test the new batteries. When I got home I added the new batteries. Now both fobs function, but the car says that both fobs are low on battery.

I looked online for a YouTube video to see if I did something wrong (I mean how hard could inserting a battery be). The video had a tip to make sure that if the battery had a cover on that I should take it off. I took out both batteries and neither had a cover, so that’s not the issue.

Not sure what’s going on. Do I have another set of bad batteries? I find that hard to believe. I am more inclined to think there must be some little trick I am missing. Thanks for any help/advice.

boaterva

Supporting Member
There have been issues when you change batteries away from the ca, the fobs become unpaired. (Search for threads or look for my posts... :D)

But since they work at all, this has to be old batteries. I bought a batch from Amazon to have on hand, making sure it was the correct different ones for the X, of course. As I said, once I changed one fob away from the car and had to have the Service Center ‘reset the gateway’ (re-pair; I assume). Another time I did it in the car and it works fine. Another Tesla insanity where this small thing can mess it up.

I’ve replaced my fob batteries many times over the past 3 years (those fobs really go through them quick!). I keep a supply of replacement batteries in my apartment at all times. All the replacements have been away from the X. Never had any issues - didn’t have to “pair” the fobs or contact the SC. I just go downstairs with a fresh battery in the fob & everything is golden.

Reactions: jboy210
The batteries may be low even if that clears the warning. Last year, at an annual service, they had both fobs and were supposed to replace both batteries, but a month later, one fob died (warranty issue) and the other wouldn't work because the battery in it was dead. I was able to swap batteries and function until I got them replaced again, but I either read online or was told at the service center that the batteries are sometimes packaged (or stored) in such a poor manner that they can drain themselves (each other) during shipment/storage.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC