Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X key fob w/pic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another pic... X key is black, S key is red... For perspective...

db972c59237000032c982e9372593593.jpg

I'll take one of the offspring! ;)

So if it's not radio controlled - how do you open the doors if you want to open them from the house window for instance? Let say someone wanted to get some bags out of the car. Also, sometimes you want to check and make sure the car is locked. To do that you simply press once on the "roof" and you see the lights blink that it just acknowledged the signal received.

How far is the range when it's bluetooth?

Bluetooth Low Energy, which has to be what it's using or the fob battery wouldn't last, has a range of over 100 meters. The range should be as good as or better than the old system, and it should also address concerns about people stealing the signal with an amplifier and stealing cars.

Yes, it's easy to press the FWD buttons while the key is in the fob holder. I use all the buttons - frunk, trunk, and FWD's. FWD's seem to be most common for me so far. The frunk button needs to move forward about 1/4" to 3/8", and the trunk button needs to move back about 1/4"-3/8" (almost starting at the attachment tab). Center button is good, and side buttons are good.

If Tesla continues to ship the keyring, you may be able to forego the tab and keyring. Given the price of the keys, I use it as belt-and-suspenders insurance (both my S key and X key have a tether attached to the key and the fob, joined to a keyring that unifies them).

Thanks, useful info. When I was at the Dallas SC they said that the keyring part (on the X) tends to fall apart after a couple of months; not sure on the sample rate, but I assume that's a fairly easy part to get hold of, so you might be right in terms of getting rid of the tab/keyring.

Do the 'windows' line up well to the FWD buttons?

Thanks, useful info. When I was at the Dallas SC they said that the keyring part (on the X) tends to fall apart after a couple of months; not sure on the sample rate, but I assume that's a fairly easy part to get hold of, so you might be right in terms of getting rid of the tab/keyring.

Do the 'windows' line up well to the FWD buttons?

Yes, they line up really well; in fact, they're almost a 1/1 match for the key's lines itself.

I still have about 40-50 of the little string-based tethers I used on the Model S key, so I think I'm good there.

My AO ring for the Model S is almost fully copper by now with all the chrome rubbed off. :)

It appears the touchscreen is the same size. I have an AO protector I'll be applying soon.