TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model X Launch Event?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by neil1, Aug 11, 2015.

1. neil1

neil1 New Member

Is this language new under Model X on the Tesla website?: "More details will be announced as production nears." Seems to indicate that a launch event may be coming soon?

2. timf

timf Member

That's been there as long as the site has been. Sadly, production is very near and we still don't have any details.

3. lucy

lucy bluehair

no change from Feb 2015 visible to me...

4. neil1

neil1 New Member

ok. Thanks. For some reason I thought it was new. I guess more details should be announced soon regardless, since production has neared. So, in addition to the configuration which Elon alluded to on last week's call, I suspect there could be an event announcing details.

5. lucy

lucy bluehair

We are all jumping at shadows, misreading things, seeing what we are hoping to see in every headline.
    I think I'll have a cocktail when I get home from work tonight!

6. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

Here is a new thought. Does anyone else think that IF there is an X reveal in September that they will have something like 100 Model Xs behind a curtain or wall and that they will all be available for delivery that day if the recipients are there. As most if not all of those 100 are probably founders it could all be done behind the scenes with no public notice. There were like 10 at the Model S first delivery and since they are talking that his will ramp up much faster that would certainly prove the point well. Ludicrous or possible ? Cool event if they could pull it off !!

7. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I'm guessing there will be probably less than 30 Founders.

It would be a cool event, but anything showing the X would be phenomenal :).

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

There were ~25 Model S Founders car, I'd expect that there would certainly be no more than that when it comes to Xs and probably less (not all the Founders will want a Model X).

Tesla was actively dampening ramp-up expectations at the last ER; yes, Tesla has more manufacturing experience now than in 2012 but ~70% of the parts are still new and there just needs to be one problem with one small part and the whole line will slow. Complex manufacturing ramps are slow and steady and it will be no difference with Model X, even if possibly quicker/smoother than the S ramp.

(My bold in the quote)

9. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

Fair enough do you think there will be a delivery party ? Do you think they will deliver more than the 10 at the Model S delivery party ?

10. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I definitely think there'll be a delivery party but it might well be like the Model S Founders delivery, invited guests and press only. Maybe some early Sig holders but I doubt I'll get an invitation (Sig #313).

More than 10 cars? Probably, but less than 30.

11. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

Well - you might get an invitation to come stand near the cars, and clap for the people that are getting theirs Nigel! I'm with you - low hundreds Sig reservation will be early configuration and delivery, but I'm guessing more like a month after first deliveries rather than first day or week.

12. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I'm still not expecting my car before November. Fingers crossed though!