Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Launch In Oz

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I upgraded the spec on my Model X to the 100D on the day that it was announced.
I dropped my Model S in for the annual service today and enquired about the status of the Model X order as mine still shows up on the site as a 90D. Apparently none of the Australian 100D orders have been confirmed by the factory at this stage. They haven't even got a confirmed start date for RHD production yet........

Not sure if you noticed this news and it may not be relevant

Elon Musk To Tesla Employees: Spend Less Cash, Deliver "Every Car We Possibly Can"

I am guessing that like the end of every quarter Tesla builds to deliver in the US but switches in the last few days and I think for the X there will be a push to make RHD in October unless they are still behind in which case it maybe delayed till late December/Jan.

If they are trying to turn a profit for this quarter then they will be focusing on building and delivering P100DL in the US more than anything as the margins would be highest on these.

Wild guessing and speculation:

October builds for RHD Model X make sense given the push for results this quarter. That would mean December for RHD deliveries to start. That is also the timeline hinted at by Tesla for Hong Kong. Given the uncertainties of the incentives and tax situation in Hong Kong (possible doubling of the price of the car, come 1st April 2016), I think Tesla will concentrate on getting all the Hong Kong Model X cars delivered before 1st April 2017. I wouldn't expect AU cars in volume before 2017Q1, possibly Q2.

Last edited:
Hi OzSimon, my order was udated to the 100 in the production system overnight on Thursday (got email confirmation via the US). Hopefully you should have had the same or will get it soon.
Yes I got mine Thursday night, so the tension raises as Kate tell me production is imminent! Did you see the thread about X production ramp up and hundreds of cars destined for overseas? I guess we missed that boat....

Yes I got mine Thursday night, so the tension raises as Kate tell me production is imminent! Did you see the thread about X production ramp up and hundreds of cars destined for overseas? I guess we missed that boat....
Historically Tesla has built local US cars towards the end of the quarter so that they have the best chance of being delivered and counting in the quarterly sales results. Recent tweets by Elon indicate that there is currently a big push to get the figures right for this quarter to engender market confidence in the financing round need for the Solar City merger. Overseas destined cars with a long way to go to delivery are generally built early in the quarter. So you will likely see your cars started next month when the new quarter has started.

• Informative
Reactions: OzSimon and markwj
Historically Tesla has built local US cars towards the end of the quarter so that they have the best chance of being delivered and counting in the quarterly sales results. Recent tweets by Elon indicate that there is currently a big push to get the figures right for this quarter to engender market confidence in the financing round need for the Solar City merger. Overseas destined cars with a long way to go to delivery are generally built early in the quarter. So you will likely see your cars started next month when the new quarter has started.
That would be awesome! Fingers crossed!,

Championi, Oz Will, did you get yours yet?
KT I guess yours is not a sig by the vin number? Just curious as the sigs were supposed to come through first and you have been consistently ahead of me. I watch your posts as a guide to when events happen for me!
Let's keep posting updates as they happen.
Happy days!
P.S. meloccom you were right on!

Championi, Oz Will, did you get yours yet?
KT I guess yours is not a sig by the vin number? Just curious as the sigs were supposed to come through first and you have been consistently ahead of me. I watch your posts as a guide to when events happen for me!
Let's keep posting updates as they happen.
Happy days!
P.S. meloccom you were right on!

I received my VIN too!!! - 5th Oct
I still don't think I'll see mine until next year.

Reactions: OzSimon
Before the launch of the Model S in 2014 both Signature and regular production holders got their VINs at the same time, however signatures were made before the production models.
In fact the signatures had to be made again as the first batch were pre autopilot hardware. So some of the signature owners got to drive their pre autopilot cars for a while then handed them in for the autopilot equipped version.
I assume the pre-autopilot cars were sold as CPO soon after and you occasionally see them come up for sale, that's why its important to check under the front nose cone for the forward radar when shopping for a used 2014 Model S.

Reactions: OzSimon