Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Launch In Oz

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will said they will have a car to test drive from, I think, January 23. Perhaps it's a different car or perhaps they've been given a date for certification. Either way, they are taking bookings.

Edit: I should add that the test drive offer I received was specifically for Martin Place.

Last edited:
Was told that the white X at st Leonards is not available for test drives because homologation is not yet complete. I have to say that does seem strange to me, but this is Tesla we are talking about, so maybe not.

That is correct. I've been checking the RVD site on a regular basis and there is still no road descriptor for Model X meaning they are not yet certified for Australia.

You may recall that delivery of the "new" (software-limited) 60 and 60D were similarly delayed until the certification went through

That is correct. I've been checking the RVD site on a regular basis and there is still no road descriptor for Model X meaning they are not yet certified for Australia.

You may recall that delivery of the "new" (software-limited) 60 and 60D were similarly delayed until the certification went through
If you guys go to RHD VIN ASSIGNMENT AND DELIVERY you will see several of us expecting delivery in the next few weeks.

We nearly have a " catch 22 " here.
Homologation is the approval of a vehicle for registration.
This means that an actual vehicle has to be presented for this process,
possibly the one spotted at St Leonards ?
When I was down two weeks ago they wouldn't let you in the car because it hadn't officially completed homologation but they said that t would be finished 'soon'!! I hope this doesn't delay you guys in getting your cars. That would be frustrating!!

So, the last I has heard from Tesla, they had told me to expect a walk through date of 13 Jan. Today I asked for an update and was told that they were expecting to take delivery of the car at the end of the month. And that I would the car shortly thereafter.

Also, they had no information on homologation but I suspect this may be the reason for the delay, assuming the car shipped when they said it did.

Last edited:
So, the last I has heard from Tesla, they had told me to expect a walk through date of 13 Jan. Today I asked for an update and was told that they were expecting to take delivery of the car at the end of the month. And that I would the car shortly thereafter.

So, a week out of my scheduled delivery they tell me there is a two week delay - and only because I asked.

Also, they had no information on homologation.

Anyone else hearing anything different?

We've all been thru the same thing ...
Delays with no Comms? Absolutely standard from Tesla.

You can't get this sort of car anywhere else so just meditate and do whatever you can to ease the angst !

We nearly have a " catch 22 " here.
Homologation is the approval of a vehicle for registration.
This means that an actual vehicle has to be presented for this process,
possibly the one spotted at St Leonards ?
Homologation means compliance with the design rules. While indeed the final product must be inspected, you would think that they VERY carefully added/changed whatever was necessary before construction started to achieve that. It really should be a quick formality at this time with a check list that needs ticking off. Things as simple as a warning or advisory label are also included in those rules.

Homologation means compliance with the design rules. While indeed the final product must be inspected, you would think that they VERY carefully added/changed whatever was necessary before construction started to achieve that. It really should be a quick formality at this time with a check list that needs ticking off. Things as simple as a warning or advisory label are also included in those rules.

"Things as simple as a warning or advisory label are also included in those rules"

Here's one- Vehicle may accelerate rapidly through garage wall if operator mistakes GO pedal for BRAKE pedal.

• Funny
Reactions: houdini and Homer
So over on the UK MX thread people are talking about estimated delivery dates on their myTesla. Ive never had one. Is that normal for the Aus mytesla site?
At first i thought it was because they literally had no idea when they would be built, then once built it never came through so i figured that was because of the lack of government approval.
Now, i really wonder if they enable this field for aus at all?