Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Launch In Oz

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A bunch of Melb deliveries over the last 48 hours. Of the two Sig Reds, one white and one black inside, both look great, and given how much fun it is to drive, who needs AP2 for a bit anyway! After Reserving back in 2014 (AUD:USD was close to 1:1, which helped me persuade the better half! and expectation was an 85Kwh Battery... So it ended up a lot lot lot more than I originally planned to pay, BUT boy is it worth it - it is a truly amazing vehicle - and it is the little things you will notice over time too (which I'm not going to spoil but each time I get in, some thread from the forum, some bit from a video comes to life).

For all those with cars in the pipeline, I'd go through the months and months of waiting (19 months from reserving to config, 4 more from config to production and 4 more since (from production to delivery), so chill out and enjoy the anticipation - it's kind of like being 6 again and waiting for Father Christmas from about August... You can't buy that in many places!

Reactions: techmaven
In mid 2016 Tesla announced that they were making over 2000 cars a week. Assuming 50:50 split of S and X that is over 1000 X/week. Based on vin 32000 in production last week, can we expect vin numbers of 35000 to be in production in a fortnight and 38000 in a month? What is the shipping time for Model X from US to Australia?

After no comms for 10 days, Tesla called me late Friday to tell me the car will be available next week. Said that my VIN had been "randomly selected by the factory" for additional checks. I pressed them on this - had there been problems that had delayed my delivery and that had driven the checks? Or did they find problems after the additional checks?

They promised me that it was indeed random and that this is standard practice and that no issues were found.

We then turned to payment. Tesla will not accept a bank cheque. That is a first for me. Adam told me I need to wire the money in advance - which I am not doing of course, especially given the issues others have had. Would rather Tesla be fixing these from this side of me parting with the $$.

I now need to look into a real time transfer of the money but this is all a nuisance. Looks like I will have to inspect the car, then make the payment which will involve a delay ( and theoretically, risk to me). Anyone figured out a way around this? Not possible to send this sum of money remotely in real time...

JD

After no comms for 10 days, Tesla called me late Friday to tell me the car will be available next week. Said that my VIN had been "randomly selected by the factory" for additional checks. I pressed them on this - had there been problems that had delayed my delivery and that had driven the checks? Or did they find problems after the additional checks?

They promised me that it was indeed random and that this is standard practice and that no issues were found.

We then turned to payment. Tesla will not accept a bank cheque. That is a first for me. Adam told me I need to wire the money in advance - which I am not doing of course, especially given the issues others have had. Would rather Tesla be fixing these from this side of me parting with the $$.

I now need to look into a real time transfer of the money but this is all a nuisance. Looks like I will have to inspect the car, then make the payment which will involve a delay ( and theoretically, risk to me). Anyone figured out a way around this? Not possible to send this sum of money remotely in real time...

JD
You could always withdraw cash then trot it down the road to their bank:)

JD
Hey JD it will be all right. Tesla can be awkward and bordering on unreasonable, but they are good guys, do care, and do respond positively on warranty issues. I would say just transfer the money in advance and smile and enjoy your car. You will only make it difficult for yourself by digging in.

Reactions: OzSimon
Hey JD it will be all right. Tesla can be awkward and bordering on unreasonable, but they are good guys, do care, and do respond positively on warranty issues. I would say just transfer the money in advance and smile and enjoy your car. You will only make it difficult for yourself by digging in.
+1
Do a thorough inspection and take your time about it on delivery, though.
There used to be a delivery checklist on one of the forums that was worth printing out and taking with you.

JD

"Especially given the issues others have had"
Recently? Care to elaborate?

We are taking delivery of our X on Wednesday, as a companion to our S.

The issue is insurance: IAG (NRMA etc) does not have the X on their systems yet, but may by Wednesday. Tesla are offering a product via QBE, but you cannot buy this online an the hold times are long.

What are others doing with insurance, especially in NSW?

Last edited:

The issue is insurance: IAG (NRMA etc) does not have the X on their systems yet, but may by Wednesday. Tesla are offering a product via QBE, but you cannot buy this online an the hold times are long.

Worst comes to worst, take out a cover note with whoever (you get at least 14 days) and in the meantime do your research.

I did QBE online (through the Tesla website.. look for 'insure my Tesla')

Edited to add InsureMyTesla Insurance