Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Launch invites have gone out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a little disappointed that a Roadster Owner/Sig S owner with a reservation number of ~600 wouldn't be invited but really just more signs the company doesn't value its original customers that continue to sell a lot of their cars for them. There are 4 now in Walla Walla . . .

I just couldn't do Signature again because I didn't want A handles, A batteries, and other A issues with a potentially higher A tax. Good luck to all of you Signature Xers, and I hope the cars aren't full of A's.

I think the D event was short notice, but I believe for the Model S factory event we had from August to October 1st to prepare. I think the idea they want to limit attendance is likely true.

They could easily limit the audience by limiting the invitations sent and the number of people they accept. Given the Signature and reservation lists, they could have a great list to work with and a natural order of seniority that I think most respect.

They could have gained a diverse, national and international attendance of appreciative, senior reservation holders, instead of a likely geographically less-diverse and more local, probably in parts more junior reservation attendance.

What, really, would have been the downside for Tesla?

- - - Updated - - -

I just couldn't do Signature again because I didn't want A handles, A batteries, and other A issues with a potentially higher A tax. Good luck to all of you Signature Xers, and I hope the cars aren't full of A's.

A non-folding second row seats? :)

I'm a little disappointed that a Roadster Owner/Sig S owner with a reservation number of ~600 wouldn't be invited but really just more signs the company doesn't value its original customers that continue to sell a lot of their cars for them. There are 4 now in Walla Walla . . .

You might want to check with Tesla, just a quick call - I know of other Roadster/Sig S owners who received an invite.

It could also be that your preference for being informed of invitations by TESLA has been inadvertently turned off. This happened to me about a year ago... around the D-reveal where I was not invited and this was the reason....... Check with TESLA and good luck

Since I am not getting an invite, but live 25 mins. from the Fremont factory, here my offer: If you're attending and have an available +1 invite, -OR- if you're unable to attend, and IF your invitation is transferable, I'll pay you $100. :biggrin:
(Hell I'll even drive you to the event (even though it would be in an ICE vehicle.:crying:)

Last edited:
Happy to pick someone up at SFO or SJC, even OAK and give you a ride to the event as your +1.
I'll even put you up at my home!
Anyone else want to make the same offer (pickup and stay at your place)? I'm only considering coming live vs watching stream if I can do it at a reasonable.

Wife was fine with me burning SouthWest miles if I keep other cost reasonable. I'm fine with sleeping on a couch even. I don't need to be entertained (no stress for you/s.o.).
Totally get it would be odd having a stranger fly in an stay with you. Happy to talk on the phone and let you/s.o. "interview" me. (Aside: I was born/raised in small town (3500) USA and not in Chicagoland)

That's great for you Mark, but you're already in California and just had to keep your evenings free. It's not quite that simple when the trip from the east coast means having to keep a couple of weeks clear of all commitments, day and night. I was told a few days back "no event" and I know others were also, so no "if anything changes..." type message.

The history of livestreaming these events has been poor so I'll look forward to watching a recording. I hope all those who can make it enjoy the evening, but please stop suggesting I did anything wrong by believing what what I was told.
No one did anything wrong. My dinner engagement was in Oklahoma! I normally fly there this time of year for the annual home tour. I put a comment on the RSVP: "Cannot attend due to upcoming delivery. Not a baby, a new car." I was in OKC during the Supercharger event, so this time I cancelled everything that was planned. My post was not intended to upset, but rather try to put something positive into a thread that has so many people frustrated. I certainly don't make all the right decisions. If I did, I wouldn't be going to the launch event. I would have made a $5K deposit for a production X and placed the $35K in Tesla stock. I did think about it at the time, but didn't have the right financial attitude. Even my news report of the X Premiere ended with, "For the record, I don't own Tesla Stock". The Sig deposit must be turned into something sweet, so configuring Model X nicely, enjoying whatever Tesla offers, and trying to help others with their configuration decisions has made for a brighter day. When tragedy strikes, all plans change. Funerals are attended. Why can't we have a similar attitude when a sudden change of plans occurs to attend a celebration that we would love to attend? That is the question everyone should be asking. It's all a personal decision on what people value at the moment. We count the cost and make the reservations or decide to relax at home, enjoy the event and skip the crowd. Live isn't easy, but we can choose to be happy with whatever choices we make.

Last edited:
Is anyone else getting weirded-out by AnxietyRanger and NigelM arguing on the same side? :confused:

Respectfully, you did miss the point. It's not about accommodating people's schedules, it's about being consistent with communication.

If an event was planned for the 29th, then let your customers who you are asking to pay 100K before ever seeing the car have a chance to actually see it. Simply sending out an announcement a couple weeks in advance would give people more time to plan to make it.

If you don't want to announce the event more than 8 days before, fine but stop telling people specifically that there is no event.

This isn't about one person being more important to be invited, this is simple business that Tesla should aspire to do better. They are not some cash strapped startup anymore, they should attempt to treat customers like customers and not simply people who will wait forever and give them 100K sight unseen.

I agree that Tesla should be more consistent and have better communication, however, I still believe that Tesla is "cash strapped" and can't just go off and do whatever it pleases. If Tesla wasn't cash-strapped, then I don't believe we would be having a September 29th event, but rather a November or December event. I still think Elon would prefer to have worked on the Model-X some more prior to first delivery.

To me, Tesla still feels like they're flying by the seats of their pants, so I'm not surprised or annoyed by their communication deficiencies. I do expect them to slowly improve, which I think they have. I have seen them become more proactive with phone calls, updates and even having this event, which I suspect they weren't considering having a month ago.