Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X lease advice in WA and CA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking of leasing a model X. I would like it to be white exterior + white interior + premium upgrade package + enhanced autopilot at 12k miles/year.

I live in Seattle, WA and also Sunnyvale, CA. I own houses in both locations and spend my weekdays in Sunnyvale and my weekends in Seattle. Is it better to buy the car in one location vs the other? I don't think I qualify for the CA $2500 tax credit. I'm not sure what my sales tax is in each region but my zip codes are 98072 and 94089.

I also see an option for "full self driving" - but from my reading this seems like it doesn't do anything yet. Since I'm leasing for 3 years, I do not plan to get this option. If I were buying, I might consider it to save $1k up front but seems like a no brainer decline on a lease right?

I'm also open to leasing one of the demo cars, etc. If anyone has an OA that they'd like me to work with, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

I wouldnt do FSD if you are leasing. You can always buy it after. I'd do it in WA as they have less tax. There is some great demos. What are you looking for? 75D 100D P100D? I got a referral if you need. I am getting the powerwall and selling it and donating money from it to charity. Thanks and feel free to talk ANYTIME you need just PM me!

I'd like a 75D. I also have a big family so need the 7 seats. I know it's inconvenient to get into the 3rd row, etc. but we'll live with it.

I think the sales tax in WA and CA is roughly the same (around 9.5%).

Yeah, I don't think I'll get FSD.

I have a referral link from a friend. It's the standard one that gives $1k off + unlimited charging.

I know for me, I'm glad I did not go the lease route, simply because of the mileage limit.
Other's have said what I'm about to say; and I sidelined this topic before my purchase as a wait and see.. but I add my input to help inform you that the mileage limit in the lease... deserves more pondering.

Considering a lease should also have you think carefully about how you drive. In a typical year before my MX, I drove approx 12k miles. Not bad, right -- should fit the lease terms of 12k miles. Before my MX, I was doing 1 long commute a week, doing deliveries for work. We sold that business, so I expected that my driving would also go down, by maybe 30%.

Wow, what a surprise... I put on 12k in the first 6 months of my MX!
From March 2017 to October 1, I'm already due for a first 12.5k milage service at Tesla.

Why so many miles? IT'S FUN TO DRIVE AGAIN! And you will. You can clock up serious miles, just because it's fun. Autopilot takes the edge off of the stop and go traffic & you just roll with it.
Thinking about keeping your other car for backup... [unless it's a pickup for pickup only things] probably NOT... you'll drive your X instead.
Be prepared for total conversion... its hard to go back.
I put on 12k already in 6 months... and I'm not hesitating about driving another 12k in the next... Heck I wouldn't even consider a multi state trip in snowy Winter months, and I'm thinking I want to drive my Las Vegas trip, instead of flying. Is that crazy -- a $300 round trip ticket, and I still want to drive it -- maybe yes.

Hope this helps in some small way, before you sign your papers. At least my thoughts will give you a little ammo to see what other drivers experience.
-TechVP MX100D

I went for the 15k miles/year lease plan. We'll see if I drive that much.

When I had my leaf, I had 12k miles/year but ended up returning the car after 3 years with only 20k miles on it.

I ride my bike for half of the year to commute and my commute is only 8 miles each way anyway. My wife will probably use the car more but she only drives locally for soccer and school and stuff like that.

But maybe we'll take more road trips like all of you!