Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Lease - Force Down Payment by Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every lease application takes into consideration many factors.

Mid to high 700's is not very good, just plain good.

If you own your own profitable business, strongly consider the benefits or Section 179 tax code. Makes buying better than leasing.
Leasing allows you to write off just the payments. Buying Allows you to write off the entire purchase price the first year. Can significantly reduce your net cost. This is in addition to any Federal/State/Utility refunds or credits you might get.

Reactions: MXWing

If you own your own profitable business, strongly consider the benefits or Section 179 tax code. Makes buying better than leasing.
Leasing allows you to write off just the payments. Buying Allows you to write off the entire purchase price the first year. Can significantly reduce your net cost. This is in addition to any Federal/State/Utility refunds or credits you might get.

Dammit! Equifax lied to me! They said my credit is very good and not plain good. Thanks for the tip.

• Funny
Reactions: MXWing

Mid to high 700s is "very good" 800s is "excellent"
Low 700s is "good"

People lease for a reason. I wouldn't, but its quite normal.

The downpayment and the lease payment are tightly coupled, since the leasing company intends to get a certain amount of revenue over the three(?) years of the lease. Lower monthly payment === higher deposit.

If you take the Section 179 tax benefit, you are not eligible for the Federal tax credit. I used this last year to purchase a 2019 Jaguar I-Pace and I was not able to get the Federal tax credit - it is like double dipping.

Brent

Are you sure? Jaguar i-pace is not over 6000 lbs adjusted gross weight so it’s not eligible for section 179 deduction.

Can you provide a link that states otherwise?

anything over 740 is basically tier 1, you don't get extra credit for having 800

Section 179 allows you to depreciate the car in year 1, but that just means you don't get to deduct anything in the other years.

Ok. Just ordered mine. Maxed out Performance version. They asked for $375 down on top of the $2,500 deposit. Not bad.

Congrats on your purchase!

Downpayment and drive off are not the same. This could depend on your locality. Tesla is requiring me to pay only the upfront costs like fees, taxes, title, registration, and first month lease payment. This total 'drive off' comes to around $3,210 in my area, and I am required to pay $710 after the $2,500 order deposit payment. This is $0 'downpayment' (or cap reduction) towards the lease. When dealers advertise '$X downpayment', the asterisk says 'taxes, title and fees extra'

Last edited:
Congrats on your purchase!

Downpayment and drive off are not the same. This could depend on your locality. Tesla is requiring me to pay only the upfront costs like fees, taxes, title, registration, and first month lease payment. This total 'drive off' comes to around $3,210 in my area, and I am required to pay $710 after the $2,500 order deposit payment. This is $0 'downpayment' (or cap reduction) towards the lease. When dealers advertise '$X downpayment', the asterisk says 'taxes, title and fees extra'

Ahhh.. so I guess I'm driving off with 375 after 2,500 after the 2.5k deposit. Now it's a waiting game.