Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model-X life-hacks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vandacca

ReActive Member
Oct 13, 2014
Hamilton
Now that I have my X, I'd like to share some life-hacks with people on small ways to improve the usability. I'd love to hear how people have "hacked" their X to make it more functional. Here are a couple of mine so far:

1.) I purchased the rear-hatch sunscreen and when not in use, I store it under my rear compartment shelf. I stuck some velcro tape on the non-tesla side of the sunscreen bag and affixed the bag under the compartment shelf. That way, I can put the sunscreen in the bag and it hangs safely under this shelf, without any risks of getting damaged by heavier items.

2.) I store the provided front sunscreen under the passenger seat, again some velcro on the carrier bag can keep it in place. That way, the passenger can easily grab it and install it while I drive.

3.) I purchased the FWD window sunscreen and store that bag under the driver's seat, that way someone in the 2nd row can easily grab and install it. Again, some velcro can be used to keep the bag in place.

How have you customized your X?

So your Model X "hack" is Velcro?
Well, I've only had my X for a little over a week. I do hope to move beyond Velcro now to using Sugru and other products. ;).

Not sure if buying products like TorkLift's license plate mount and AbstractOcean's Bright LEDs counts as a life-hack. I still need to install the Blackvue cameras too. I hope to document that process.

But, I'm hoping to hear how others have hacked their vehicles.

Last edited:
Well, I've only had my X for a little over a week. I do hope to move beyond Velcro now to using Sugru and other products. ;).

Not sure if buying products like TorkLift's license plate mount and AbstractOcean's Bright LEDs counts as a life-hack. I still need to install the Blackvue cameras too. I hope to document that process.

But, I'm hoping to hear how others have hacked their vehicles.

Tell me about these led's you R talking about.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1469787052389.jpg
    FB_IMG_1469787052389.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 644
Gotcha, thanks. Led's are cheap, looks like they are really raking it in with those prices. I added as well as updated led's inside my DeLorean as well as the engine compartment for less than that. I'll just cross reference the led's and order them from a manufacturer.
Report back on what you find, I wasn't able to find the ultra bright assembly anywhere else.

Love the DeLorean!

Reactions: Sean So Lowe
Being a "senior", I had to look up what a "life-hack" is. When I read the thread title, I envisioned somehow hooking yourself up to your Model X in some sort of Borg-like assimilation. Perhaps not so far-fetched since autopilot and other data about your car and its operation are uploaded. :)

Wow, you can't be a senior if you know what the Borg are. Or wait, did I just date myself with that statement? Did I somehow cross over into the "senior" category without knowing...? Is Q running another of his space-time contiuum distortions?

For some reason I always turn my climate control off when leaving the car parked. I guess it's just the cheapness in me thinking I don't need to run the AC for however minutes it runs after I walk away.

We always turn ours off before leaving so the turbine engine that powers the AC doesn't inadvertently cause liftoff while we're walking away from the car. It's kind of embarrassing how loud that thing gets when it's on and stationary. Although I wonder if it's because there's no ICE drowning it out?

Wow, you can't be a senior if you know what the Borg are. Or wait, did I just date myself with that statement? Did I somehow cross over into the "senior" category without knowing...?
Well, the Borg were introduced over a quarter century ago! And, yes, old age does have a tendency to sneak up on you. I was a young father back then and now I'm a grandfather! :)

Reactions: jboy210 and IdaX
We always turn ours off before leaving so the turbine engine that powers the AC doesn't inadvertently cause liftoff while we're walking away from the car. It's kind of embarrassing how loud that thing gets when it's on and stationary.
My life-hack is related to this. In the first week I owned the X, I accidentally vacuumed up a chihuahua in a parking lot. Sucked it into the nose from three lanes over. Now I drive through parking areas soaked in sweat because I refuse to run my AC and cause any more casualties.

does this apply to non pup as well?
Yes, I did it in mine.

I used 7 white lights - 2 in the frunk, 2 puddle lights, 2 foot wells lights, 1 for trunk sidewall

I was unable to remove the existing light from the trunk hatch.

Since I don't have PUP, there weren't any lights installed under the front seats, and I couldn't figure out where the lights would go, or even how to search for the wiring without damaging the mesh under the seats.

I have PUP but there’s no light in the console so added a USB port cluster and a USB light stick. An upgrade would be to get a dimmable light; this prototype version is too bright (so I just turn it towards the inner wall a bit more)
lit1.jpeg
lit.jpeg

Reactions: vandacca