Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model-X life-hacks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question,

Is there a setting for the center console to display rear view camera and autopark/proximity screen always when shifted in reverse? It happened spontaneously a few times for me and I really like the feature, but I cannot seem to jog back to how I activated the feature.
I believe if th camera is the top app, or not visible at all, it automatically goes to the view you're describing. If it's the bottom app, it does not.

I like the concept and somebody should be able to print or mold those hooks and sell them as a nice accessory for the S --- perhaps it's even been done already. But I'm not sure how these would work on the X FWD doors -- when the door is opened, I think any clothes are going to fall off the hook!

Perhaps there is a way to suspend something from the center support, although that would interfere with the rear-view mirror view.

I believe @Stasla is probably on the most fruitful path. I don't have kids or a car seat but have tried to rig something similar up. Unfortunately I haven't found anything that isn't likely to scratch the seat backs or interfere with the driver or passenger head rest.

IMG_5487.JPG
Anyone else having issues with water bottles and soda cans in the armrest cupholders? They rattle and topple over and are mildly annoying. Tesla doesn't provide "cinchers" for these cupholders.

So, I found some soft aftermarket ones that fit adequately and hold things in place. They're not perfect, but they're good enough.
IMG_5488.JPG

View attachment 194434 Anyone else having issues with water bottles and soda cans in the armrest cupholders? They rattle and topple over and are mildly annoying. Tesla doesn't provide "cinchers" for these cupholders.

So, I found some soft aftermarket ones that fit adequately and hold things in place. They're not perfect, but they're good enough.
Great idea. I wish they would come in a silicon material. I found them on Amazon if anyone else is interested: Dorman 41000 Cup Holder Insert
There is also this one: Dorman 41001 Cup Holder Insert

Great idea. I wish they would come in a silicon material. I found them on Amazon if anyone else is interested: Dorman 41000 Cup Holder Insert
There is also this one: Dorman 41001 Cup Holder Insert

FYI, the 41001 is too big. The 41000 is designed for a 3" diameter, and the 41001 is for a 4" diameter. As it is, the two 41000 are a little bit squashed into each other...

And yes -- if anybody finds these or similar in silicon, that would be much nicer!

• Informative
Reactions: dogldogl
FYI, the 41001 is too big. The 41000 is designed for a 3" diameter, and the 41001 is for a 4" diameter. As it is, the two 41000 are a little bit squashed into each other...

And yes -- if anybody finds these or similar in silicon, that would be much nicer!
Nice find, guys, but my life hack is not to use the cup holders under the center armrest, I tend to knock things over when they are there so I just avoid it. Not the most ergonomic place for cup holders, IMHO. Franz, please take note for Model 3 and future redesigns :p

Nice find, guys, but my life hack is not to use the cup holders under the center armrest, I tend to knock things over when they are there so I just avoid it. Not the most ergonomic place for cup holders, IMHO. Franz, please take note for Model 3 and future redesigns :p
I think the answer was "Here, let me give you gigantic and less convenient ones inside the center console, which remove any utility the console might have had initially."

What if someone designed an insert for the center console cupholders that turned it into a coin holder with a cover?
That whole thing needs to be redesigned. The 4 curved inserts do offer some flexibility in fitting different size bottles/cups, but the sliding cover is blocking half the usable storage (towards the screen) when open... and don't get me started on that open cubby between console and screen. Would it have been so hard to make an open/close lid for it? Glove box size is also a joke. Front door pockets should be at least 1/2 inch wider and deeper... FWDs could also use some storage compartments too - with a lid to keep stuff in while they are open. And a coat hook or 2 wouldn't hurt. Don't get me wrong, the current design is definitely a step in the right direction, compared to the pre-refresh Model S, but it's still got ways to go in terms of true usability/utility. Just the few small things I mentioned would make it better with no impact to the all important style that Tesla seems to be so concerned about. They require much less engineering prowess than monopost "sculptural things of beauty" FWDs and their sensors that can see through metal... Not sexy engineering challenges, but would be so simple to tweak and listen to the praise roll in from owners and reviewers.

That whole thing needs to be redesigned. The 4 curved inserts do offer some flexibility in fitting different size bottles/cups, but the sliding cover is blocking half the usable storage (towards the screen) when open... and don't get me started on that open cubby between console and screen. Would it have been so hard to make an open/close lid for it? Glove box size is also a joke. Front door pockets should be at least 1/2 inch wider and deeper... FWDs could also use some storage compartments too - with a lid to keep stuff in while they are open. And a coat hook or 2 wouldn't hurt. Don't get me wrong, the current design is definitely a step in the right direction, compared to the pre-refresh Model S, but it's still got ways to go in terms of true usability/utility. Just the few small things I mentioned would make it better with no impact to the all important style that Tesla seems to be so concerned about. They require much less engineering prowess than monopost "sculptural things of beauty" FWDs and their sensors that can see through metal... Not sexy engineering challenges, but would be so simple to tweak and listen to the praise roll in from owners and reviewers.

That said, I LOVE my Model X and still think that nothing else out there can even touch it in terms of competition. :cool:

"Bitching and moaning" mode disengaged :p

Even if no one is sitting in the backseat the vent in the front armrest is on. So I put a couple empty cups in the 2nd row drink holder and used my "front" license plate to redirect the air more up and into the front area.

Need to think of a better design but like how it works.

eX1rsCG.png

I just got back from Symbiosis Gathering, a music festival in the middle of hot California. We danced until late in the night and slept in until well after sunrise. If you've ever done this, you know how hot your tent can get once the sun comes up, even in shade. Well, problem solved with the Model X (and I suppose Model S, too). Behold a $30 Do It Yourself tent AC using the Model X climate control. Here is how:

Buy an $18 flexible/collapsible dryer vent hose and an L-shaped connector (and some gorilla tape). Check out pictures below and you can see how to do it:

Mold the opening of the L connector to match the right driver's side air vent (use clamps and pliers)
Tape over the edges of the L connector opening
Connect the dryer vent hose to other end of L connector
Expand the hose out the partially open driver's window
Mark, then cut an opening in the vent hose over the left driver's vent and shape some cardboard around vent, extending to the cut hose opening.
Tape the cardboard to the vent hose
Wedge apparatus with steering column to its highest and closest setting. Make tighter with a towel.
Use painter's tape for better seal at the vents if you want
Seal the driver's window with come cardboard
Close all the other vents in the car and turn off rear climate control
Set fan manually to high setting on front climate control
Snake the dryer vent into your tent
When you need it, use your smart phone to turn on AC in climate control tab of your Tesla App.

There you have a super quiet and strong air conditioning with no loud stinky generator. Over 4 days, I used it for about 5 hours worth and used 15 miles of range. 3 miles of range per hour use is very efficient. AC turns off after about an hour. Just restart it if needed.

I just got back from Symbiosis Gathering, a music festival in the middle of hot California. We danced until late in the night and slept in until well after sunrise. If you've ever done this, you know how hot your tent can get once the sun comes up, even in shade. Well, problem solved with the Model X (and I suppose Model S, too). Behold a $30 Do It Yourself tent AC using the Model X climate control. Here is how:

Buy an $18 flexible/collapsible dryer vent hose and an L-shaped connector (and some gorilla tape). Check out pictures below and you can see how to do it:

Mold the opening of the L connector to match the right driver's side air vent (use clamps and pliers)
Tape over the edges of the L connector opening
Connect the dryer vent hose to other end of L connector
Expand the hose out the partially open driver's window
Mark, then cut an opening in the vent hose over the left driver's vent and shape some cardboard around vent, extending to the cut hose opening.
Tape the cardboard to the vent hose
Wedge apparatus with steering column to its highest and closest setting. Make tighter with a towel.
Use painter's tape for better seal at the vents if you want
Seal the driver's window with come cardboard
Close all the other vents in the car and turn off rear climate control
Set fan manually to high setting on front climate control
Snake the dryer vent into your tent
When you need it, use your smart phone to turn on AC in climate control tab of your Tesla App.

There you have a super quiet and strong air conditioning with no loud stinky generator. Over 4 days, I used it for about 5 hours worth and used 15 miles of range. 3 miles of range per hour use is very efficient. AC turns off after about an hour. Just restart it if needed.

You sir, are crazy. That's pretty awesome.

I like the concept and somebody should be able to print or mold those hooks and sell them as a nice accessory for the S --- perhaps it's even been done already. But I'm not sure how these would work on the X FWD doors -- when the door is opened, I think any clothes are going to fall off the hook!

Perhaps t 2 here is a way to suspend something from the center support, although that would interfere with the rear-view mirror view.

I believe @Stasla is probably on the most fruitful path. I don't have kids or a car seat but have tried to rig something similar up. Unfortunately I haven't found anything that isn't likely to scratch the seat backs or interfere with the driver or passenger head rest.

now that i've seen these i'll play around with the 3d printer over the weekend and see what i can come up with
and the center console is big enough for me to keep a water bottle and a firearm but not much else

• Funny
Reactions: Stasla
now that i've seen these i'll play around with the 3d printer over the weekend and see what i can come up with
and the center console is big enough for me to keep a water bottle and a firearm but not much else
I just ordered a pair of these EV Hooks in black. I hope to leave them in the driver & passenger headrests full-time.

Yes, I did it in mine.

I used 7 white lights - 2 in the frunk, 2 puddle lights, 2 foot wells lights, 1 for trunk sidewall

I was unable to remove the existing light from the trunk hatch.

Since I don't have PUP, there weren't any lights installed under the front seats, and I couldn't figure out where the lights would go, or even how to search for the wiring without damaging the mesh under the seats.

Will these replacement lights also work with my Norwegian Model X? I'm guessing there shouldn't be any difference? And are the trunk/frunk lights the same as in the passenger cabin? In other words, can I get the 8-pack from this page and use that for trunk/frunk/passenger cabin since I don't have pup?

Anybody tried replacing the red lights as well?

EDIT: I see they're listed as a 4-pack, or an 8-pack on Abstract Ocean's site, so I guess they're all the same type. The only question I have left then is if there's any reason why these won't fit in a Norwegian Model X.

Last edited: