Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X loaner... Not very keen. Prefer the M3!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Just a short note to say that despite viewing the M3 as the "cheap Tesla"... Wow. Compared to a 2017 X 90D it's so much better made! It's more solid and less creaky.

I have the X for a few days and it's clearly not been very well looked after (it's a West Drayton loan car) so maybe that's a part of it. It's just... Vaguer. The steering, the regen breaking, the screen is slower and has less contrast... Other than the cool rear doors... Really surprised. This car must have cost about £70k new?

I'm sure this one has slightly worse/older MCU hardware than a new one - it doesn't have Caraoke etc but yeah, just thought I'd add some context for anyone new to Tesla - the M3 feels far more "European" than the floaty X.

Reactions: Chronic
I have the X for a few days and it's clearly not been very well looked after (it's a West Drayton loan car) so maybe that's a part of it. It's just... Vaguer.

HaHa whilst those of us use to SUVs find the 3 to be well....a bit like a toy ;).

Everyone uses their cars differently I wouldn't swap our 75D X for a P100D L S let alone some thing as small as a Model 3, which is fine for a second car, but for our 'main' family car once you get use to the luxury of space (which is what the X mainly offer), its hard to go back.....

Carry 4 adults + 2 toddlers + luggage on an airport run, or bring the grand parents along for the weekend road trip, moving a sofa between houses just because you can, for family life SUVs just rule, which why every brand is making them!

The Cybertruck though, that does look like an interesting alternative to the X. Width is fine for UK roads only thing is the length, but if it really is as tough as it looks you can just push other cars out of the parking space :).

Last edited:
Horses for courses and what you're used to I suppose. Xs I've been in have seemed good but anything can age. It's probably fair to assume the complexity of those doors won't help longevity and perhaps as an SUV it might've taken a bit more abuse.

I had a 2016 S as a loaner for a couple of days a few weeks ago. I thought it felt very solid and was interesting to see the AP differences. It was in good condition for >60k miles and very quiet, which made me feel comfortable about longevity of my own, although the shiny black seats felt a bit old hat. However my Model S is the first new car I've ever bought and looking back I've only owned cars <3 years old for a tiny proportion of the time. I reckon as mine ages I won't take much notice of the difference between it and whatever's new, until I've pretty much worn it out and am thinking about a change. That's hopefully 7 years off.

Reactions: Yev000
I looked into buying the cheapest new Model 3 but decided on buying a 2nd hand S85 for £6k less. Coming from a BMW i3 you'd think that i would be ok with the smaller sized M3 but I love how the MS just glides silently and feels so damn stable.

Would really miss the auto rear boot and storage size.

I have a P100D Model X Raven. My son has an M3 Performance. Although the X has all the toys and is fantastic for carrying people, the M3 is the most practical of the two in my opinion. 50% of the time when I unlock the X , I open the wrong door. I previously had a Range Rover Vogue and the X is a lot bigger and not easy to park in a car park , particularly as you cannot see any of the bonnet. The X has better suspension than the M3, however it is not fantastic. The real world range is better on the M3, but is not as well insulated for noise. Although the X is a great car, it is not £45K better.
I think the Model Y will be the car to buy when it is available.

I looked into buying the cheapest new Model 3 but decided on buying a 2nd hand S85 for £6k less.

40k - 3.5k = 36.5k - 6k = 30.5k

Where on earth did you find an S85 for 30.5k???

Just looked at Autotrader, damn they went down by somelike like 5k on average since summer. Pretty big drop, must be due to Model 3.

Still, these are the 5yr old versions with AP1. What sort of range do you get?

And the price tag is a lot more forgiving than the X..... Ohhh dammit, now I think I want one...

I would miss the power doors all round on the X but that truck just looks nuts and the pricing is fantastic, not sure why anyone would order a Y over the truck.

Its not any longer than transit vans so driving will be fine, parking bay length is the issue, but I'll wait to see and drive one before ordering any thing.

One thing is for sure, a Model 3 next to the truck will be like the Radio Flyer kids Tesla we have in comparison:).

40k - 3.5k = 36.5k - 6k = 30.5k

Where on earth did you find an S85 for 30.5k???

Just looked at Autotrader, damn they went down by somelike like 5k on average since summer. Pretty big drop, must be due to Model 3.

Still, these are the 5yr old versions with AP1. What sort of range do you get?

£28,200 I paid for it as the 21 inch rims had been curbed. Nothing a Gateraid strip around the rims can't fix for £120 :) Has all the upgrades apart from the winter package.

Range in the real world is around 200miles at 90% and 223miles at 100% but it is winter and after the last few updates 20 miles range was instantly taken off the Model S for some reason or other overnight.

Reactions: Roy W.
parking bay length is the issue

Yep

Model 3
Length 184.8 in (4,690 mm)
Width 72.8 in (1,850 mm)
Height 56.8 in (1,440 mm)

Truck
Length 231.7 in (5,885 mm)
Width 79.8 in (2,027 mm)
Height 75 in (1,905 mm)

Model X
Length 198.3 in (5,036 mm)
Width 78.7 in (1,999 mm)
Height 66.3 in (1,684 mm)

It's only 3cm wider than an X, that surprising.

The extra meter in length is an issue, but anyone who already has a truck has the same issue. The Nissan Navara my neighbour has is 5,532 mm

Reactions: gangzoom
Depends really, on a good motorway run I would say at 70mph I get 320 wh/mile on the car readout. But on school runs and shorter runs it can be around 420 wh/mile. Not sure if the aircon/heating is included with that figure automatically.

Thing is I have an S85 (81kwh minus the 4kwh headroom) and you have a 50kwh battery, was hoping the range would be in the 240mile real world area.