Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model x locked out , Need Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ICE cars have a natural built-in battery tester. Every time you start the car there is a high current draw that serves pretty well as a measure of the health of the battery.

Tesla really needs to design in a warning indicator when the battery gets low.

Note that my car is off-line right now. It lacks the power to connect to the network. And yet, the service people were able to examine the logs and see that the 12v was getting low on voltage.

The car knew it was getting low. The service center has logs on this which means it has been low for a while. This wasn't something that was just "discovered" when I filed the Roadside Service request, it was in existing logs already.

Why wasn't I informed as the owner and driver?

Reactions: X-pilot
ICE cars have a natural built-in battery tester. Every time you start the car there is a high current draw that serves pretty well as a measure of the health of the battery.

Note that my car is off-line right now. It lacks the power to connect to the network. And yet, the service people were able to examine the logs and see that the 12v was getting low on voltage.

The car knew it was getting low. The service center has logs on this which means it has been low for a while. This wasn't something that was just "discovered" when I filed the Roadside Service request, it was in existing logs already.

Why wasn't I informed as the owner and driver?

Our MX 12V also died without warning. But according to our tech at the service center, the car did issue a warning but it was issued at 3am in the morning. And according to him, it died soon after so when we tried to get into the car in the afternoon that day it was dead already.

According to him, Telsa cars constantly will check the resistance of the 12V charging. When it starts to get high, it will issue the warning. And normally, the warning will be issued days or even weeks before the battery is dead. He said battery dead hours after the warning is NOT the norm.

• Informative
Our MX 12V also died without warning. But according to our tech at the service center, the car did issue a warning but it was issued at 3am in the morning. And according to him, it died soon after so when we tried to get into the car in the afternoon that day it was dead already.

According to him, Telsa cars constantly will check the resistance of the 12V charging. When it starts to get high, it will issue the warning. And normally, the warning will be issued days or even weeks before the battery is dead. He said battery dead hours after the warning is NOT the norm.
In my case I hadn't driven in about a week so that could have been a factor in not getting a warning, but they should really be warning the customer about this more than just a week in advance and there should be something you can check to see the state of the battery.

And since the Roadside tech could see that it was low in my logs, an email or app notification could have been sent as a warning as well.

But, really, more like at least a month out should be the norm...

It does. All Tesla's do. Waddayatalkingbout?
My old Model S, which I owned for 5.5 years, went through 3 batteries (I drive a lot). Each time, I got yellow warnings in the dash stating that the 12V battery needs service (means it can't hold enough power / power is dwindling). They each lasted close to 2 years. I always got warnings, well in advance. I once drove on for 2 weeks between the first warning message and battery replacement (I did not have time for an appointment sooner).

• Helpful
It does. All Tesla's do. Waddayatalkingbout?
My old Model S, which I owned for 5.5 years, went through 3 batteries (I drive a lot). Each time, I got yellow warnings in the dash stating that the 12V battery needs service (means it can't hold enough power / power is dwindling). They each lasted close to 2 years. I always got warnings, well in advance. I once drove on for 2 weeks between the first warning message and battery replacement (I did not have time for an appointment sooner).
That would have been nice, but I didn't get any warnings.

So, the tech just left after replacing the battery. He said that even though it was plugged into the wall connector the entire time, it won't recharge the 12v while parked and so my Blackvue was draining it and the car wasn't replenishing it. It was down to 3v by the time he got here. He recommended unplugging the Blackvue if I was going to park for longer than a day or two. I've never heard that before...?

That would have been nice, but I didn't get any warnings.
So, the tech just left after replacing the battery. He said that even though it was plugged into the wall connector the entire time, it won't recharge the 12v while parked and so my Blackvue was draining it and the car wasn't replenishing it. It was down to 3v by the time he got here. He recommended unplugging the Blackvue if I was going to park for longer than a day or two. I've never heard that before...?

I call BS on that advice. I have a BlackVue, always on. Plus a small Linux computer in the back, a cellular router, and various items of Ham Radio equipment, all left running continuously, continuous load is around 3 amps. I have never replaced a 12v battery in any of my Tesla’s. I have found the 12v system to be, by far the most robust of any car I’ve owned.

Now, that does not mean that the battery never fails, after it is a battery with an expected lifetime. But leaving small electronics running is not going to have an appreciable effect on the life of the battery. The tech is simply wrong about the battery not being charged while parked. You can actually check it yourself. The nominal voltage of a 12v battery, fully charged but not under charge, is 12.6v. Measure it and find the system is around 13.4. Anything over 13 indicates the battery is actively being charged. If the battery voltage is high (over 14) that will dramatically shorten the life of the battery. But I think you just happened to get a battery on the low end of the luck curve. Stuff happens.

some of my cars dont get a lot of use so theyre on trickle chargers. Does the MX have an option to trickle charge too?

The 12V battery gets charged by the 400V main battery (which in turn can get charged by plugging it in). The "trickle" function for the 12V is basically built in so to speak.
If the 12V get's old and has difficulty holding enough charge, it will set off the "12V Battery needs service" alert in the cockpit.

Electric cars in general, not only Tesla's, are best kept plugged in. Not to charge it persé, but simply to, for example, keep the battery in its ideal temperature range (which is quite wide) by means of "wall power" instead of it's own energy (saves discharge cycles). Same goes for keeping the onboard systems humming (even in deep sleep mode there is some activity as the LTE modem will stay active to recieve "wake up messages" etc.).

Rule of thumb: a plugged in EV is a happy EV.

• Informative
Not always. Mine is plugged in and stone-dead in the garage right now, that's what brought me to this thread. :D I've been able to manually pop the frunk, at least.
See if the ground cable for the 12v Battery is properly bolted down. The MX of a buddy of mine had it‘s 12v battery replaced after 3 years or so and sloppy Joe at the service center didn’t tighten the bolt of the ground cable properly. Result, car dead as a doornail at his house two,weeks later after the bolt came out because when the 12v is not connected, the entire car is without power as the 12v battery powers the basic functions of the vehicle. New bolt in, tightened it down to spec and car has been good ever since.

Not always. Mine is plugged in and stone-dead in the garage right now, that's what brought me to this thread. :D I've been able to manually pop the frunk, at least.

Sounds like a dead/shorted 12V battery.

However, if that does not fix it, on my X the one time it hung and would not come up beyond basic display they disconnected (not cut like it says on the sticker - unless your car is on fire:)) the 1st responder wire under the frunk, waited a few seconds, and reconnected it. This powered down the drive system which was stuck in a funny mode.

Sounds like a dead/shorted 12V battery.

However, if that does not fix it, on my X the one time it hung and would not come up beyond basic display they disconnected (not cut like it says on the sticker - unless your car is on fire:)) the 1st responder wire under the frunk, waited a few seconds, and reconnected it. This powered down the drive system which was stuck in a funny mode.

I wondered if I could just disconnect/reconnect that cable...will save that for next time.

I ended up jumpstarting it with my noco pack...think it just died after not coming all the way back up from an update. Really difficult funding an unpainted but clamp-accessible ground with a short cable.

I wondered if I could just disconnect/reconnect that cable...will save that for next time.

I ended up jumpstarting it with my noco pack...think it just died after not coming all the way back up from an update. Really difficult funding an unpainted but clamp-accessible ground with a short cable.

The cable is quite reachable. I have unplugged and re-plugged it in just to ensure I could do it. I got stranded on day 4 of ownership with this issue and had to walk 4 miles home, so I was worried it would be something I need to do this again. So far no it is not reoccurred.

Last October (10/19) my June 2018 MX 12v battery died without warning. I decided to get a Ohmmu Lithium battery. It was pricey, but I don't want to be stuck somewhere because of a dead 12v battery. https://www.ohmmu.com/

That Website sounds like a ton of baloney though. Those "reviews" are a joke:

"Battery arrived and is installed! I was only expecting a slight difference in sound quality... but it is HUGE. Makes a really big difference."

"More Bass!"

"After changing my cars battery to Ohmmu, my phantom drain has dramatically reduced. Never (not even when I recently changed to a new Tesla OEM 12V battery) did I lose so little power after leaving my car parked for a long time."

"Performance like never before seen"

"I've still never seen it! (I guess he/she means the "12V Battery needs service" message, red.) That's a good thing. Just checked my phone, we are sitting at 174,000 miles now, so 54 months, 164k miles - pretty impressive!"

Massive improvements in sound quality, phantom drain (of the 400V battery) dramatically reduced. blah blah di blah. What a b*llsh*t.

"Battery arrived and is installed! I was only expecting a slight difference in sound quality... but it is HUGE. Makes a really big difference."

"More Bass!"

"After changing my cars battery to Ohmmu, my phantom drain has dramatically reduced. Never (not even when I recently changed to a new Tesla OEM 12V battery) did I lose so little power after leaving my car parked for a long time."

"Performance like never before seen"

"I've still never seen it! (I guess he/she means the "12V Battery needs service" message, red.) That's a good thing. Just checked my phone, we are sitting at 174,000 miles now, so 54 months, 164k miles - pretty impressive!"

Massive improvements in sound quality, phantom drain (of the 400V battery) dramatically reduced. blah blah di blah. What a b*llsh*t.

They are legit. I don't have one, but several users on TMC do and seem to like them.

"More Bass!"
Oh boy, I am going to go replace that battery right now. I need more bass in those fart sounds :rolleyes:
Seriously though, I agree, those comments don't make any sense how the sound is better....performance better !!!! They are smoking something :D

Oh boy, I am going to go replace that battery right now. I need more bass in those fart sounds :rolleyes:
Seriously though, I agree, those comments don't make any sense how the sound is better....performance better !!!! They are smoking something :D

I commented in one of those threads and was basically ignored ... It's confirmation bias, and nothing more.

Reactions: Silicon Desert