Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model x locked out , Need Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi , my X locked me out and does not respond. When I approached the car it unlocked and driver side door opened and but did not open all the way , it was resisting like there was obstacle but there was nothing, so I did close it back and it did not close all the way and the car went completely shut down and doesn't respond. Tried unlocking the car with key fob on the bottom of the door to unlock but did not work. Can we manually open any way or do I have to tow it to sc. Appreciate your help.

Cannot open trunk, the service center cannot access my car because it shows offline. Got into the car finally with roadside assistance manually opening the door but still everything is not working. The screen wont reboot after several attempts to reset. SC said to toe the car to sc for further evaluation.
Any clue what could go wrong ? Just made 50k miles with No issues and debating if I take the Extended warranty since I am in the grace period.

Is that a simple fix ? Would that completely shutdown the car ? I am surprised if it did that.
A 12v battery failure in the car will cause a lot of the control systems to go out. It is pretty rare for it to fail and give absolutely no warning messages -- usually quite the opposite, it gives warnings long before there is a fatal issue. Is the car totally unresponsive?
Cannot open trunk, the service center cannot access my car because it shows offline. Got into the car finally with roadside assistance manually opening the door but still everything is not working. The screen wont reboot after several attempts to reset. SC said to toe the car to sc for further evaluation.
Any clue what could go wrong ? Just made 50k miles with No issues and debating if I take the Extended warranty since I am in the grace period.
You are in a bind as far as warranty purchase is concerned. I usually don't recommend them (although I have one), but if you are past 50k miles and can get the warranty and the car is dead, sounds like the proverbial no-brainer. You might want to check what the towing coverage is on the ESA. If you have to pay to have it towed in anyway, then maybe wait until they tow it and diagnose before deciding on the warranty. The warranty won't help much on the 12v battery cost if that's what it is, since there is a deductible.

The 12v battery is something Mobile Tech could diagnose and fix. Did they offer that option?

You can pop a panel and get to the emergency release for the frunk. The release is there so that you can get to a dead 12-volt battery. There are a lot of videos on youtube showing you how. Here is one.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
This is what I got so far
"Our technician has found alerts that are related to the vehicle's contactors. The contactors are responsible for closing the circuit with the 12v battery and the High Voltage battery. Due to the nature of the repair, we have gotten one of our field engineers involved with the diagnosis. Currently, he is reviewing the vehicle data to support our diagnosis. Looks like we may need an additional day, possibly 2 for diagnosis alone"

Any one had this problem before or any other insigts

This is what I got so far
"Our technician has found alerts that are related to the vehicle's contactors. The contactors are responsible for closing the circuit with the 12v battery and the High Voltage battery. Due to the nature of the repair, we have gotten one of our field engineers involved with the diagnosis. Currently, he is reviewing the vehicle data to support our diagnosis. Looks like we may need an additional day, possibly 2 for diagnosis alone"

Any one had this problem before or any other insigts
It's not rare nor is it common. If the contactors are faulty, then it would explain the dead 12V. The HV battery pretty much leaves the 12V system to fend for itself when there is a problem with the HV circuit.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
2018 X 'died' yesterday. Towing arrived ~1hr - bypassed 12v and removed my golf clubs (though quarantine has nixed that), Notified first thing Monday AM that my car arrived, 2 hours later got notification that battery died, 2 hours later texted to pickup my car. All fixed in <24 hours DURING the quarantine. No charge. No signatures - they just fixed my car.
AMAZING service. Adopters have our share of challenges, but Tesla surely eases the journey.

I haven't driven in a week since the shelter in place order came down in California. Today I decided I could go out and get some essentials now that the locusts have subsided and my car won't respond. Tried both keys and the phone app and nothing. I'm guessing it is the 12v battery but there was no warning. Waiting for roadside assistance, but since it is plugged in in my garage and the cord won't release I'm not sure how they'll tow it.

And they just texted back. 12v is dead and they can send a mobile van to replace it. Hopefully tomorrow...

[Update - not tomorrow, they are scheduling mobile appointments for Thursday now... :( ]

Last edited:
Reactions: X-pilot
I haven't driven in a week since the shelter in place order came down in California. Today I decided I could go out and get some essentials now that the locusts have subsided and my car won't respond. Tried both keys and the phone app and nothing. I'm guessing it is the 12v battery but there was no warning. Waiting for roadside assistance, but since it is plugged in in my garage and the cord won't release I'm not sure how they'll tow it.

And they just texted back. 12v is dead and they can send a mobile van to replace it. Hopefully tomorrow...

[Update - not tomorrow, they are scheduling mobile appointments for Thursday now... :( ]
You can jump it like a normal ICE vehicle. I did this and kept a jumper pack in case it does again.

how long does the 12v battery last? Should it be preemptively replaced then?
I had asked preemptively at 60,000 km before embarking on to a 10,000 km to USA.
The SC checked and said it was good.
I asked them again at 100,110 km to please replace it and they did. I did not get any 12V battery warnings. Was having a nervous feeling anytime i would go long distance.
Screenshot_20200324-002914_Samsung Internet.jpg

Good call. Not worth saving a couple hundred bucks to be left stranded somewhere.

How much did it cost you to replace it?

His invoice said it was paid by his extended warranty. Our MX battery died much sooner than his... it dies just over 2 years about 25,000 miles. Ours was covered under the original warranty. The service center guy said MX battery usually last about 3 to 4 years and less if you take lots of short trips.

The lesson we learnt from the 12v death was that don't park the car too close to the front wall of the garage. It was really difficult to access the frunk release if you park too close to the wall.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot and z168