Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X LR refresh range further reduced, 360->353->332 miles, what happened???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s with the 22” wheels. Configure with 20” wheels and you get back to 351 miles.
Thanks for pointing that out. But the Tesla website configurator used to default to the smaller wheel size. Now it appears to default to the larger wheels, and therefore the range is less. But unless you scroll down and change the wheel size you might think there was a range drop.

EPA estimates even lower for the refresh 2022 MX.
What happened?
Didn't they improve the efficiency?
Didn't the 2021 MX LR+ have EPA 371? And the 2021 MX LR have EPA 360?
Now the longest range dual motor 2022 MX is EPA 348 which is even less with more seats and bigger wheels

Another thread suggested that tesla used fewer 18650 cells in the 2022 MX but I couldn't confirm this anywhere

Fewer battery cells, about 120 less than 2020 X LR++
It is unclear to me how you can confidently state, without reservation, that that the X now has 120 fewer cells in the pack than it did in 2020.

Do you work for Tesla and are posting confidential information? I assume that is not the case. Which leads me to conclude that you are speculating as to the reason for the slight range reduction.

Speculation is fine as long as it is acknowledged as such.

Reactions: posity

I know C/D got some background on their Long Range Plus test from Tesla as well.

Also, Plaid pack teardowns have been done, the poster notes there are fewer cells per module in this IIRC but I'm not going to re-watch a video because soembody might be wrong on the internet. Luckily you don't have to, he puts the cell count for Plaid right in the description at just over 7900 18650 cells for Plaid

Here's an older 100D pack, 8200-ish cells

I couldn't find a Raven pack teardown but I didn't spend much time

My point is, slow down chief, it's not unfounded confidential info. It's also (capacity) something you can get from the car via teslascope

Last edited:
Richbot, thx for detailed response above.
I wish tesla did the opposite and put more battery cells.
If this was a 2022 refresh 400 mi LR+ MX, I probably would have already ordered.
Here's to hoping an LR+ is forthcoming either with the old 18650 cells or the newer 4680 cells