Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Machine Car Wash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I take my Prius to a Machine Wash place, They offer Unlimited Car Washes and it's VERY convenient to wash my car anytime it gets dirty for one price.

Im a little hesitant to take the Model X into a Machine Wash. I'm thinking I should wash it myself but I really don't want to.

Anyone been washing their X in a machine wash?

Thoughts comments ideas?

Thanks

@Ramisanders Go to your local car wash. Talk to the Manager. Most of these guys are car buffs and appreciate fine looking cars!! Ask him to tell you about the 'brushes' in their tunnel and your concern for scratches swirl marks. More importantly, ask him if they Hand Wash cars. Most ALL full service car washes offer Hand Wash services using a Two Bucket methods. That being said, I have used several full service tunnels for my cars and have never have any issue with scratches or swirl marks.

Please don't do it. Most automated car washes will create tiny swirl marks in your paint. If you want an automated place to go to, at least find a touchless car wash where there are no rotating bristles (or anything else) touch your car.
You don't have your car specs in your signature but if you have/plan to buy a darker color, you will end up seeing the damage to your paint in time.

@gjunky That is not an entirely true statement about tunnel washing. Today's tunnel equipment, brushes and chemicals are actually better than hand washing. Why, because the systems rinse the brushes clean before and after each car passes, thus all contaminants are removed from the brushes. Additionally, the chemicals lubricate the surface and help the particulates flush off the vehicles without being rubbed into the paint. but, don't take my word for it. Here is an excerpt write up:

"It has been said that automatic car washes scratch the paint and are harmful to the finish. This is false. A few years ago, Mercedes-Benz had the Technological University of Munich do a comparative study of hand washing vs. automatic washing with “Foam Brite”. In this study, vehicles on the street were washed 26 times to duplicate the number of times a car might be washed in a year.

One test group was hand washed and the other was machine washed.

Upon completion of the test, microscopic photos of the paint were taken and it was found that there was more scratching, marring and damage to the paint of the hand washed cars than those that were machine washed.

Why?

It was determined that when a vehicle is hand washed, the first time the sponge or mitt used to wash the car touches the dirty surface, the minute particles of sand and grit get into it. Each subsequent time the sponge or mitt is rubbed onto the car’s finish during the washing process, the action is like a piece of fine sandpaper. On the other hand, the washing material used at the car was is “Foam Brite”, which is bombarded with shampoo and water during the washing process. This forms a barrier between the washing material and the paint, preventing swirls or scratching. Plus the constant mist of water being shot on the brushes keep them clean of dirt and grit at all times."

Please don't do it. Most automated car washes will create tiny swirl marks in your paint. If you want an automated place to go to, at least find a touchless car wash where there are no rotating bristles (or anything else) touch your car.
You don't have your car specs in your signature but if you have/plan to buy a darker color, you will end up seeing the damage to your paint in time.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried tunnel washing with their MX (specifically with a fixed spoiler)? I recall a post where an active spoiler got ripped off during the wash. I use ONR but would be nice to know that I could run MX through a tunnel wash if I need it.

@gjunky That is not an entirely true statement about tunnel washing. Today's tunnel equipment, brushes and chemicals are actually better than hand washing. Why, because the systems rinse the brushes clean before and after each car passes, thus all contaminants are removed from the brushes. Additionally, the chemicals lubricate the surface and help the particulates flush off the vehicles without being rubbed into the paint. but, don't take my word for it. Here is an excerpt write up:

"It has been said that automatic car washes scratch the paint and are harmful to the finish. This is false. A few years ago, Mercedes-Benz had the Technological University of Munich do a comparative study of hand washing vs. automatic washing with “Foam Brite”. In this study, vehicles on the street were washed 26 times to duplicate the number of times a car might be washed in a year.

One test group was hand washed and the other was machine washed.

Upon completion of the test, microscopic photos of the paint were taken and it was found that there was more scratching, marring and damage to the paint of the hand washed cars than those that were machine washed.

Why?

It was determined that when a vehicle is hand washed, the first time the sponge or mitt used to wash the car touches the dirty surface, the minute particles of sand and grit get into it. Each subsequent time the sponge or mitt is rubbed onto the car’s finish during the washing process, the action is like a piece of fine sandpaper. On the other hand, the washing material used at the car was is “Foam Brite”, which is bombarded with shampoo and water during the washing process. This forms a barrier between the washing material and the paint, preventing swirls or scratching. Plus the constant mist of water being shot on the brushes keep them clean of dirt and grit at all times."

I don't disagree with that. My older VW has gone through the tunnel wash many times over the 9 years I owned it and no real scratches on it. I think the paint on the Tesla (and other newer cars is different perhaps because of environmental requirements. I don't know if this is true but my Model X already had some swirl marks on delivery.

IMHO, a touchless car wash (still automated and not a hand wash) couldn't hurt.

Touch less are not worth a thing, they can't remove road grime as there is not enough dwell time to loosen off of car.
I don't disagree with that. My older VW has gone through the tunnel wash many times over the 9 years I owned it and no real scratches on it. I think the paint on the Tesla (and other newer cars is different perhaps because of environmental requirements. I don't know if this is true but my Model X already had some swirl marks on delivery.

IMHO, a touchless car wash (still automated and not a hand wash) couldn't hurt.

You should be careful with
I take my Prius to a Machine Wash place, They offer Unlimited Car Washes and it's VERY convenient to wash my car anytime it gets dirty for one price.

Im a little hesitant to take the Model X into a Machine Wash. I'm thinking I should wash it myself but I really don't want to.

Anyone been washing their X in a machine wash?

Thoughts comments ideas?

Thanks

You need to be very careful because my falcon wing door won't latch after service washed it. What they did is they used high pressure water to wash the door and some water got to the sensor so the door won't latch. I asked the service people after they installed a new latch and he said regular garden hose will not cause this issue. But I didn't ask machine wash.

Reactions: Ramisanders
No matter how good the Car wash, the machine wash will always leave swirl marks, maybe not at first, but if you do it regularly it will be seen in the paint.
It's always better to go to a place that hand washes a vehicle, especially an expensive one like an X

I've taken my dark grey ML63 through a local touch tunnel wash at least 100 times and the paint looks fine. The black trim around the windows has some swirls but the paint itself looks great. I have not yet taken my Titaninium X through a touch wash because of the spoiler not being able to be retracted, but the more I look at the spoiler, the less I think it would be a problem. They have recently upgraded the wash and the car wash no longer even tapes down the rear wipers which are much more fragile than the spoiler.

Reactions: ABCCBA