Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X May Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I must say. After looking at the pictures on the forum I payed very very close attention. I noticed the top of one of the FWDs to be maybe a millimeter off. The handles were aligned perfectly as everything else was. If I took a close up picture and posted it, you may notice it. But if I never read the forums I wouldn't have put an ounce of worry into it even after noticing it. Basically what I'm trying to say is. It looks much much much worse in the pictures then it actually is and I'm sure 99.9 percent of people would be completely ok with it after seeing it in person.

I second that, my MX delivered on Saturday was very close to perfect. The seems are aligned beautifully, no issues at all.

vin 30xx, 90d midnight silver, 6 seats, pup, tow package picked up today. My build date on the sticker is 05/16. some random thoughts
  • no sunshade
  • all door/panel alignments seem pretty good to me
  • 3rd row seats are ridiculously hard to put up and down. not only do you have to have cat like reflexes with the timing of the latch, but you have to be incredibly tall to reach in and pull it back up.
  • there's a really bad crease in the leather on the driver seat. anybody else notice this? is this something that should go away on it's own after it settles or something that I should bring in to get fixed?
  • the spoiler is fixed
  • the windshield glare is incredibly bad. i haven't driven at night yet but even in the day time, there's those grill vents on top of the dash close to the windshield and the glare/reflection of the windshield causes me to just see those little tiny vent holes all over the windshield while i'm driving. anyone else notice that? am i the only one?
  • i think there's something wrong with my 2nd row tilt motor. on the passenger side 2nd row seats, if the seat is reclined, when i try to tilt it down it using the controls at the base of the seat (not the easy access controls) the seat tilts fine for about 2 seconds then it just stops. I have to release the tilt control and then press it down again and then it will go for another 2 seconds. I have to do this about 4 times before it can return to the non-reclined positioned. The driver side 2nd row seat doesn't have this problem. Anybody else notice this? I don't think I've seen anyone report this problem on the forums yet.
  • I had a 2014 S85 before this. I had a car seat behind my driver's seat in the model S and I was able to have my seat almost all the way back without touching the car seat. In the model X I feel a little bit more cramped driving because my seat needs to be more forward to accommodate the car seat in the 2nd row. It's not bad at all, just something surprising/unexpected. I thought the 2nd row seats would have as much room as the model S but doesn't seem like that's the case.
  • Biggest regret is getting the premium package. The auto present doors so far seem to be more of a hassle than helpful. They mostly work as advertised, but I just don't think I'll get that much utility out of them. Everything else in the premium package doesn't warrant the price in my opinion.
  • 2nd biggest regret is the tow package. That seems useless, since everybody seems to be getting that for free.
  • The 2nd row seats desperately needs to move in 2 inches towards the center for the 6 seat configuration. The FWD rubs against my shoulder when I sit in the 2nd row. Still incredibly happy with the 6 seat config over the 7 seater though.
overall happy with the car so far. I've got a 300 mile drive planned this weekend so i'll see how the range is. My car is in pretty good shape compared to some of the other early builds on the forums. Not everything is perfect, definitely some minor complaints here and there given that this is a $120K car, but overall a satisfied owner.

Attachments

• IMG_2849-2.JPG
    IMG_2849-2.JPG
    643.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 3rd row seats are ridiculously hard to put up and down. not only do you have to have cat like reflexes with the timing of the latch, but you have to be incredibly tall to reach in and pull it back up.
Yes, I don't understand why this is necessary, or why these need actuator motors at all. I am a hatchback / SUV person and every other manual fold down seat I have is perfectly satisfactory the way it is. If it isn't broke, why break it?

• the windshield glare is incredibly bad. i haven't driven at night yet but even in the day time, there's those grill vents on top of the dash close to the windshield and the glare/reflection of the windshield causes me to just see those little tiny vent holes all over the windshield while i'm driving. anyone else notice that? am i the only one?.
You're not alone. I posted about this here:

Took delivery of VIN 24xx P90DL in Fremont on 2016/05/23

Again, I'm not sure what the point of doing this was. I agree the reflected glare / pattern is very distracting. We have 5 other vehicles ranging from 1975 to 2011 that don't seem to have this issue. You can see that the non-perforated section of the dash is much less of a problem. I also get bad glare off of the chromed side view mirror stalks. Sometimes you wonder "did anyone actually drive this thing before finalizing all of these design elements?". Stranger still I noticed these problems while driving away from the Tesla factory right when everyone was getting off work there. There had to be a number of MX driving Tesla employees leaving that factory at the same time everyday as I did, heading North on I-880 who would notice.

• Biggest regret is getting the premium package. The auto present doors so far seem to be more of a hassle than helpful. They mostly work as advertised, but I just don't think I'll get that much utility out of them. Everything else in the premium package doesn't warrant the price in my opinion.
I didn't get the premium package for precisely the reason that I suspected the auto-presenting doors would be unreliable or annoying. For some reason I assumed that not getting it would mean I would not have motorized front doors. I really have no interest in the motorized doors. I am constantly trying to keep them from banging into things, and one of them doesn't soft close the door properly when I took delivery, so the SC is trying to schedule time and a loaner to fix it.

• 2nd biggest regret is the tow package. That seems useless, since everybody seems to be getting that for free.
Yep. Just buy the accessory hitch. I don't understand why they are still showing both in the Design Center. Just trying to make extra money on those who don't read TMC?

• The 2nd row seats desperately needs to move in 2 inches towards the center for the 6 seat configuration. The FWD rubs against my shoulder when I sit in the 2nd row. Still incredibly happy with the 6 seat config over the 7 seater though.
I have been saying this all along too. I think it is probably too expensive to redesign the monopost support structure just for the 6 seat config. Also, tall people like me end up hitting their head on the center tunnel above if you move us medially, assuming that it cannot be easily redesigned.

Reactions: chloedog
I ordered the accessory hitch back when it was free (Nov) and it looks like I got the Tow package. Curious what the software element of it is.

About the windshield glare and vent reflection - I noticed it today while driving out in the early afternoon and agree that it is pretty bad. I guess I didn't notice it earlier because I was wearing polarized sunglasses.

I ordered the accessory hitch back when it was free (Nov) and it looks like I got the Tow package. Curious what the software element of it is.

About the windshield glare and vent reflection - I noticed it today while driving out in the early afternoon and agree that it is pretty bad. I guess I didn't notice it earlier because I was wearing polarized sunglasses.

Yeah the glare of the line between the vents on the dash and the solid part of the dash is literally exactly at my line of sight so there's no way for me to not see it. Incredibly annoying. I wonder if there's some anti-glare tint or something that would help. I'll start a separate thread for this to see if other people have done something.

Delayed update: Car delivered on 21st May. Was produced on 4/16. Spent 1 week in SC for detailing etc and waiting for a carrier to ship it to me. Was delivered in a covered carrier, as I had requested. Other than a small misalignment of the drivers side door and falconwing door's top parts, everything looks great! First long drive coming up this weekend. Should be fun.

Reactions: goneskiian
vin 30xx, 90d midnight silver, 6 seats, pup, tow package picked up today. My build date on the sticker is 05/16. some random thoughts

I received an active spoiler on my 90D (took delivery just a few days ago) and I also received the hardware equivalent to the full tow package even though I only ordered the accessory hitch. By Hardware I mean the car is reinforced in the rear with the necessary tow bar, hitch housing, and electrical wiring. The car also came with the large 2" Bosal removable tow hitch receiver. However, the car does NOT have the software setting in Controls -> Driving -> Trailer Mode, which is an integral part of the tow package to enable towing a trailer (the software disables air suspension, autopilot, imposes emergency steering/braking limitations, etc to accommodate the differences in towing a trailer vs. normal driving.) Without this software, I don't feel my car is equipped to adequately handle towing, only attaching accessories like a bike rack or basket style cargo carrier, which would be the same as if I had only received whatever hardware was promised with the Accessory Hitch option purchase. So, don't feel bad, what you paid for does give you functionality that we lowly Accessory Hitch purchasers don't get. :D

I wonder if down the road we will have the opportunity to purchase an upgrade to Tow Package, similar to Tesla's current policy of equipping all cars with Autopilot hardware and offering the over-the-air upgrade. Or the 70D Sedan orders that received the 75KwH battery and an option to upgrade as well.

image.jpeg image.jpeg Update on our X. We picked it up 5/17 a 90D with premium. The spoiler looked fixed. It has been in detailing since last Thursday and just got it back today. It had to make a pit stop at the service center. They either forgot to check or document the oil level in the drive train and wanted to make sure. Tesla didn't want us driving it so they towed it from the detailer to the SC. Turned out everything was ok, no issues. Also they verified that our spoiler is indeed fixed. Vin 39xx.

I had xpel for the entire front end. IGL kenzo for the added paint protection, powder coated the stock wheels and tinted the front windows.

I received an active spoiler on my 90D (took delivery just a few days ago) and I also received the hardware equivalent to the full tow package even though I only ordered the accessory hitch. By Hardware I mean the car is reinforced in the rear with the necessary tow bar, hitch housing, and electrical wiring. The car also came with the large 2" Bosal removable tow hitch receiver. However, the car does NOT have the software setting in Controls -> Driving -> Trailer Mode, which is an integral part of the tow package to enable towing a trailer (the software disables air suspension, autopilot, imposes emergency steering/braking limitations, etc to accommodate the differences in towing a trailer vs. normal driving.) Without this software, I don't feel my car is equipped to adequately handle towing, only attaching accessories like a bike rack or basket style cargo carrier, which would be the same as if I had only received whatever hardware was promised with the Accessory Hitch option purchase. So, don't feel bad, what you paid for does give you functionality that we lowly Accessory Hitch purchasers don't get. :D

I wonder if down the road we will have the opportunity to purchase an upgrade to Tow Package, similar to Tesla's current policy of equipping all cars with Autopilot hardware and offering the over-the-air upgrade. Or the 70D Sedan orders that received the 75KwH battery and an option to upgrade as well.
Have you picked up your X? How is fitting, alignment and door?

View attachment 178180 View attachment 178181 Update on our X. We picked it up 5/17 a 90D with premium. The spoiler looked fixed. It has been in detailing since last Thursday and just got it back today. It had to make a pit stop at the service center. They either forgot to check or document the oil level in the drive train and wanted to make sure. Tesla didn't want us driving it so they towed it from the detailer to the SC. Turned out everything was ok, no issues. Also they verified that our spoiler is indeed fixed. Vin 39xx.

I had xpel for the entire front end. IGL kenzo for the added paint protection, powder coated the stock wheels and tinted the front windows.
How is fitting, alignment and door? thank you

Have you picked up your X? How is fitting, alignment and door?

The front hood was a bit off pre-delivery as I posted upthread. I emailed them the day before delivery, and they had it adjusted and looking great when I picked it up. They said if I still felt it was off they could remove the hood and do a more careful fitting but it would have taken extra time and postponed my delivery date. I think it looks totally fine now so I said no to that option. Everything else about the car looks fantastic IMO, with the exceptions below.

Devon PA service and delivery teams are great (Caitlin was my DES but Bryan in delivery - who delivered my Model S 3 years ago - and Marc in service also hung out for a bit and helped deal with my neuroses... :cool:.) They put up with me about 1.5-2 hours inspecting the car carefully and having them show me some stuff I needed to learn about with the tow hitch, rear seats, UMC (operates lightly different than an S does) and other bits and pieces. Got a nice swag bag too, umbrella, mug, pin, pen, and I also got the tan leather Moab weekender bag (I paid for that last one though o_O:rolleyes:)

I had 4 other items that will need attention post delivery.
1) I got some ghosting on a driver-side FWD sensor right as I was finishing up delivery - the little red curve showed up indicating it was seeing an obstacle even though none was there. This has been happening intermittently over the last 2 days as well, I'd say about 20% of the time it's seeing an obstacle (I would need to override on my touchscreen and it will open verrrrrry slowly that way if that occurred and I actually needed to open that side).
2) The windshield wiper fluid chamber is full, but there's something blocking the fluid and it won't spray.
3) The spoiler had 2 issues - 2 specks of dirt under the paint, and it appears slightly misaligned when it goes to sleep, with one side sitting below the hood in its housing (maybe not the right word) and the other side sitting flush with the hood, 4 or 5 millimeters higher than the first side.
4) If i stomp down on the go pedal I hear a squirrily noise between 20 and 50 mph, it sounds a little like rubber squeaking against something. i dunno exactly how to describe it, and it doesn't happen in any instance other than maximum acceleration with my foot 100% down on the pedal. I also don't hear it with the window open, only closed which makes me think... well I dunno actually, since I'm pretty ignorant with this kind of stuff.

So they are sending a Ranger out (tomorrow I believe, if they overnighted the part as they said they planned to). It's really that sensor that's the only thing I want to make sure is addressed right away. Well, i guess the windshield wiper fluid stuff too, but the ranger will handle that in about 2 minutes i think. The spoiler will be replaced and that weird noise will be looked at, but I'm in no rush and will take care of that down the road when I have any other reason to schedule a service visit.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: WABarb
The front hood was a bit off pre-delivery as I posted upthread. I emailed them the day before delivery, and they had it adjusted and looking great when I picked it up. They said if I still felt it was off they could remove the hood and do a more careful fitting but it would have taken extra time and postponed my delivery date. I think it looks totally fine now so I said no to that option. Everything else about the car looks fantastic IMO, with the exceptions below.

Devon PA service and delivery teams are great (Caitlin was my DES but Bryan in delivery - who delivered my Model S 3 years ago - and Marc in service also hung out for a bit and helped deal with my neuroses... :cool:. They put up with me about 1.5-2 hours inspecting the car carefully and having them show me some stuff I needed to learn about with the tow hitch, rear seats, UMC (operates lightly different than an S does) and other bits and pieces. Got a nice swag bag too, umbrella, mug, pin, pen, and I also got the tan leather Moab weekender bag (I paid for that last one though o_O:rolleyes:)

I had 4 other items that will need attention post delivery.
1) I got some ghosting on a driver-side FWD sensor right as I was finishing up delivery - the little red curve showed up indicating it was seeing an obstacle even though none was there. This has been happening intermittently over the last 2 days as well, I'd say about 20% of the time it's seeing an obstacle (I would need to override on my touchscreen and it will open verrrrrry slowly that way if that occurred and I actually needed to open that side).
2) The windshield wiper fluid chamber is full, but there's something blocking the fluid and it won't spray.
3) The spoiler had 2 issues - 2 specks of dirt under the paint, and it appears slightly misaligned when it goes to sleep, with one side sitting below the hood in its housing (maybe not the right word) and the other side sitting flush with the hood, 4 or 5 millimeters higher than the first side.
4) If i stomp down on the go pedal I hear a squirrily noise between 20 and 50 mph, it sounds a little like rubber squeaking against something. i dunno exactly how to describe it, and it doesn't happen in any instance other than maximum acceleration with my foot 100% down on the pedal. I also don't hear it with the window open, only closed which makes me think... well I dunno actually, since I'm pretty ignorant with this kind of stuff.

So they are sending a Ranger out (tomorrow I believe, if they overnighted the part as they said they planned to). It's really that sensor that's the only thing I want to make sure is addressed right away. Well, i guess the windshield wiper fluid stuff too, but the ranger will handle that in about 2 minutes i think. The spoiler will be replaced and that weird noise will be looked at, but I'm in no rush and will take care of that down the road when I have any other reason to schedule a service visit.

Thank you